Greens - rotate with 13 different

I was listening to an interview with Victoria Boutenko the other day and she said something about rotate with 13 different greens. Does anyone have any suggestions on which 13 (or so) that are most healthy. Thank you. Birgitte

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I heard her interview during the Rawkathon and she mentioned a wide variety of greens. I could guess as to what they were, but you might want to just ask Victoria Boutenko that question. Victoria@rawfamily.com

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I know they’re big on parsley and edible weeds (to name a few)

• Thank you for answering. I will send her an e-mail. But I guess she is pretty busy. I know they eat a lot of edible weeds, but in my cold climate it’s not so easy to find now. I know some greens that is good: kale, broccoli, spinach, Roman lettuce, parsley (as mentioned). Do you think algae fit under this category? Can anyone name anyother that you can by in the store?

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

During winter (in addition to what you listed), I can still find collards, different types of kale [curley, flat, dinosaur (I think it’s called)], chard (many types), cilantro, bok choi and other cabbages, celery, beet greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, and many kinds of sprouts. After Nov. most of these are shipped from CA, but the sprouts come from NJ (I think). You could also grow sprouts yourself for much cheaper.

I’m not sure whether or not algae fits into the “greens” category, but it is certainly a good addition to anyone’s diet. :-)

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I’ll add dandelion greens, radish greens, arugula, radicchio and endive to the growing list. I just remembered that I have a book written by Sergei and Valya Boutenko. Some of the more “out there” items mentioned are clover, chickweed, lamb’s quarter, miner’s lettuce, purslane, sheep sorrel and stinging nettle. I haven’t tried any of these, so I can’t make any suggestions for finding them, but I’m sure you’ll do very well if you make a list from everything suggested here and take it shopping with you. As long as you aim for a wide variety of greens, you’ll do fine.

I’m not sure if algae fits into this category, but it’s very very healthy, so I’d suggest investigating different types of seaweeds as well. It can’t hurt.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I sprout Red Clover, it is a lot like alfalfa. Only I think better. I also sprout brocc. and put both of these in smoothies.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Oh I don’t think she meant you should pick 13 of the best greens to rotate between. The idea is that you shouldn’t have the same green every day, you have to rotate between them. Anything you can get will be just fine. And learn about the wild edible! Those have the best price on them (free) and tend to be more nutritious and full of life than cultivated greens. I believe Victoria had an article floating around listing how many greens her and her family eats in a year, maybe you can use that as inspiration. Algae doesn’t fall under the leafy green category, no. But you should still add a little to your diet as it is mineral rich and alkalizing.

• Thanks to you all. Now I know a little bit more and will use more different greens.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_lea…

list of edible greens from wikipedia. The list is not exhaustive but it’s pretty long. I have been liking bok choy a lot lately and red lettuce.

• i know this is probably a common lettuce you can find in your grocery store, but i had "butter lettuce" the other day, mmm... and its amazing.