Eating BIG pumpkins? (Or, spaghetti came out of my jackolantern!)

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I got a big pumpkin to carve for halloween and didn’t get around to it so I decided to carve it today. It’s been YEARS since I carved one. I took the guts out and then started scraping the sides with a spoon to get the loose soggy bits off. I dug the spoon in a little and pulled back, and it started to sort of come off as a sheet. So I just reached in and grabbed it and pulled, and out came a long sheet of fibers from around the inside that looked like spaghetti! I started to do it again with the spoon and found the entire pumpkin itself is made of stacked fibers running horizontally like spaghetti.

I had a pie pumpkin last week and it wasn’t like this at all, it was pretty much solid when I cut it, like butternut squash. But I’ve had spaghetti squash before so I know some squashes are like this inside. I pulled a “noodle” off and tried it, and it tastes fine. Very very mild pumpkin flavour. The ones closest to the inside (where the guts are) seem to be the tenderest…further in (towards the skin) seems starchier and much crunchier, kinda styrofoamish.

My question is, do you think there’s any problem with eating this? I mean c’mon, PERFECT raw spaghetti already made! I figure I could dehydrate the wetter ones a little, then maybe soak the drier inside ones a little and dehydrate for tenderness. I mean, is there any difference really in the edibility of small pie pumpkins vs the big ones we make jack o lanterns out of?

If this is perfectly edible I’ll be so excited, as the big carving pumpkins are all on clearance sale now for like $2! And that’s a crap ton of noodles in one of those big pumpkins!

href=”http://i36.tinypic.com/oi9ljo.jpg”>http://i36.tinypic.com/oi9ljo.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

If you are sure of the pcu code or where it came from, is the only consideration I can think of… If it is a (3,4 or9) number then it isn’t a GMO unless it is an (8)... It really looks delicious and I’m sure you should enjoy it!!!

Now tell me what you did to attach that beautiful photo???

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

If you can eat pumkin raw pureed into soup I see no reason why you can’t enjoy it as noodles as well. I wonder if it depends on the size or age of the pumkin if they all will shred like that, but I say go for it.

Pumpkin and butternut squash noodles I have had, both were good althougt the orange reminds me of processed cheese products(good thing it isn’t, lol)

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

waterbaby…do the pcu codes really indicate stuff like that? I had no clue! It’s from walmart (I know, I know!) so I sincerely doubt its organic or anything, but I’m so poor right now I can’t really be picky. I attached the photo just by putting on an image hosting site (tinypic.com or photobucket.com) and copy pasting the code they provide you with after uploading :)

blueyz-it TOTALLY looks like cheese, doesn’t it? Even more so in person. I don’t see why I couldn’t eat it either…I’ve always heard oh the small pie pumpkins are for eating, not the big ones. But I don’t really see what the difference is other than consistency…it’s still a pumpkin.