Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

yeast??

So I bought active dry yeast today…meaning to buy nutritional yeast.

Those of you who use nutritional yeast, can you tell me how this is beneficial to your diet and lifestyle as well as your favorite ways of using it?

Does anyone know if active dry yeast would be beneficial too? I added it into my “cheese” sauce today and then realized maybe I shouldn’t be eating it if it is meant to be used for baked goods as opposed to just mixed in with some water and raw ingredients. Any information about this would be great!

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I swiped this definition from the kitchen dictionary at www.RecipeZaar.com: “[Active] yeast is a living microscopic organism which converts sugar or starch into alcohol and carbon dioxide, which is why beer brewers, wine makers and bread bakers like it. Baker’s yeast is what we use most often for leavening when cooking. Baker’s yeast is either active dry yeast (where the yeast is alive but inactive due to lack of moisture) or compressed fresh yeast (where the yeast is alive and extremely perishable as a result). Brewer’s yeast is a non-leavening yeast used in brewing beer and can be eaten as a food supplement for its healthful properties (as you would wheat germ), unlike baker’s yeast which is used for leavening. Brewer’s yeast has a bitter hops flavor. Nutritional yeast is similar to brewer’s yeast, but not as bitter because it is grown on molasses. You should not use a live yeast (i.e. baking yeast) as a food supplement because it continues to grow in the intestine and uses up vitamin B instead of replenishing it.”

The definition of Nutritional Yeast comes from www.Wikipedia.org: Nutritional yeast, similar to brewer’s yeast, is a nutritional supplement popular with vegans and the health conscious, who use it as an ingredient in recipes or simply as a condiment. It is a deactivated yeast, usually Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is produced by culturing the yeast with a mixture of sugarcane and beet molasses, then harvesting, washing, drying and packaging the yeast. It is commercially available in the form of flakes,photo or as a yellow powder similar in texture to cornmeal, and can be found in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores. It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium. Some brands of nutritional yeast, though not all, are fortified with vitamin B12. The vitamin B12 is produced separately from bacteria and then added to the yeast.

• Where do you find nutritional yeast? I have a couple of recipes I want to try that include nutritional yeast, but can only find active dry yeast and am soooo confused.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Health food stores and natural markets sell nutritional yeast. I don't think I've seen it in regular groceries. It's yellow and flaky and is often used i recipes to add a slightly "cheesy" flavor. If you make nut-based sauces,like any of the mock cheese sauces here, try a couple of tablespoons.

It has B12 so is a good addition to a vegan diet.

Do not eat active dry yeast.

• I finally found nutritional yeast in a tiny little organic store walking distance from my house on campus. It was hidden in the refrigerated section all along. I simply asked the cashier and she pointed me in the right direction, and after we got talking she ended up inviting me to join a raw meetup group that meets just down the streeet! I had no idea such a group even existed in Columbus and I am so excited to go to my first rawluck!

• Great thanks! I've been looking in Whole Foods but couldn't find it. I will try the smaller Natural Health food store nearby. Thanks so much!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Where I shop, nutritional yeast is in the self-service bins where you bag things like nuts, grains and seeds.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

So... today I bought what they are calling "levure de bi