coconut oil or butter

I was shopping yesterday and was in the oil section and bought what I thought was coconut oil, it is organic and raw, I read the back in its entirety and it says that it contains both oil and pulp from the coconut. When I got home I realized that it says it is actually coconut butter. Than I went to another grocery store and bought just plain organic, cold pressed coconut oil. What exactly is the difference? Can anyone help me or offer some suggestions. Can I use the butter as oil?

Comments

• Coconut oil is just the oil that has been extracted from the coconut whereas coconut butter is from whole coconut meat. I get mine from realrawfood.com and that's the way they explain it.

They both goes great in smoothies and desserts, you'll find many great recipes on this website for it. Hope that helps.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Is it the Artisana brand? If so, then that's coconut butter. In recipes calling for oil you don't want to use the butter (though you could if you wanted to I'm sure), but the oil. The oil is the fat extracted from the coconut and the "oil and butter" is basically just ground coconut (with natural amounts of oil). Think of the butter as a nut butter like almond butter, and think of the oil as olive oil, macadamia oil, other nut oils, etc. The coconut butter is made with mature coconut which is why you will want to use extra virgin coconut oil in recipes that call for oil. Virgin is made from young coconut, that way you won't experience the strong coconut flavor much.

• Yes, It is the artisia brand (the butter is). The oil, I am not sure what brand it is but it is only the oil. Thank you so much for all of your help. I really appreciate it. I am looking forward to trying them both. I had bought one brand and made a pumpkin pie with the oil and the pie was not good, basically the oil was like candlewax, no flavor, no smell, than I realized that not all oils are made the same, lol. So I sprung for the more expensive one that was cold pressed not expeller pressed (I had no clue what that meant until the lady at sprouts told me) So if the recipe calls for coconut oil I should use just the oil and find another use for the butter?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

If a recipe calls for oil you want to buy the oil separately. Nutiva has really good coconut oil that you can get at most health stores, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme is also awesome.

• Good to know:-) Thank you