Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Using frozen vegies

I like to use frozen chow mein vegies and other frozen vegies in my soups. I realize they have been blanched before freezing so some of the enzimes have been destroyed though there is still good in them. I am wondering now if I am just fooling myself as it is such an easy way to make soup. Any input?

Comments

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

I heard that Cascadia farms and Whole Foods organic frozen veg are not blanched. If anyone knows for sure, please comment. Thanks!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I have heard that Cascadia blanches there veggies but not their fruit. .

• Thanks you two

I will check out Cascadia next time I go to the co-op.

• PamPam

Beany's right. Cascadian Farms DOES blanch their veggies for sure. Veggies must be blanched prior to freezing; otherwise they will continue to "ripen" and turn dark when frozen. On the other hand, this doesn't happen with fruit. The Cascadian Farms story, widely spread almong raw foodists, is a legend.

Their veggies are, however, flash flozen at the peak of freshness. I tend to believe that this method (as opposed to being picked unripe and shipped on a truck) has to offer SOME benefit. Of course, optimal is locally grown, ripe produce... but that's not always possible.

Unfortunately, I can't cite the source. But I spent quite a bit of time researching this to my satisfaction last week. It may be on the Cascadian Farms website, although I don't recall.

Sorry guys!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Yes, Cascadia Frams blanches their vegetables and greens before freezing.

Cascadia Farms helped to promote the myth of raw frozen vegetables themselves by not being honest when they were asked outright until recently.

The first time I wrote to them and asked, the guy waffled like mad. Then I went at them a second time, and squeezed harder and weeks later, got an admission of blanching.

I already knew that vegetables and greens are blanched before freezing, but it upset me to hear so many raw foodists think otherwise. So it was good to finally get a straight answer from Cascadia Farms.

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

I'm Not Sure But I think I heard That Freezing Actually Depletes and or destroys many of the vitamins, nutrients and enzymes in fresh foods... But I could Be Wrong...

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Just some, but not most.

• Thanks every one and TomsMom - I had the same feeling. Using frozen vegies especially in the winter is fun and easy. They work well in marinated salads as well as in my soups.