Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

VitaMix or K - tec BLender

Hello all,

Can anyone advise me on which is the best blender to buy ?. The only blender I know that anyone uses is the vita-mix, then someone suggested the K-tec and I,m really finding it hard to compare. I would love to hear from anyone who has a K-tec blender and which model they have as there is also an express model. I am tempted to buy the Vitamix as most recipes/friends have one.

Love Mummybear

Comments

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Well this is what I learned when I battled this question back in August.

The Blendtec has the advantage of programmable controls that let it make your sorbet without you even being around. It also is shorter so it can fit better under most cabinets. It is easier to clean because of a wider bottom of the container. It also boasts not needing a tamper to make sure everything is evenly blended - also allowing you to leave the blender alone while it operates. It is also 3 horsepower compared to 2.

At the same time, the blendtec settings supposedly don't work all the time and it still has to be watched, just like the vitamix. I have heard that, thought it needs no tamper, occassionally users wish that it did have one as it has trouble getting everything into the mix (most of the time it works fine, though).

So, at worst, it seems, the blendtec is a vitamix, and at best, it is better than the vitamix.

I still got a vitamix, though, since it now has a container not made of leaching plastic. That did it for me. The vitamix is also known for MUCH better customer support/timely repairs. I believe the warantee is longer. There are some blendtec support horror stories - I didn't want to deal w/ that. I have been very satisfied with my vitamix since I got it in early September.

When I was researching what one to buy, people always said in their reviews "you'll like either one". I didn't want to hear any of that - but they are right - I think both would make any raw foodist happy.

• Hi Mummybear. Great question! I have a lot of info on that on this page as well as a link to Mike Adam's article doing a comparison of the two here:

http://www.gorawchicago.com/new-vitamix-page/

http://www.naturalnews.com/021247.html

Let me know if this helps you!

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I agree with thecavsman, get either and you will be happy. I went the blendtech route, and have bought 3 of them. 2 as gifts for family, and a 20 amp model for myself. I think they are great. There are tampers avaailable, but if you don't over pack the pitcher, it is a non-issue.

I love having the pre-programmed feature. I get one pitcher loaded, hit blend, and while it is going, I fill the next pitcher. It doesn't require any watching by me.

• okraokra Raw Newbie

i used work juice bar and used both k-tec(3hp) and vita mix(2hp).

k-tec does great job but if you are putting a lot of greens, i think you do need a tamper, or put small amount of greens at a time.

k-tec fits better in a small space but when you are going to make a lot of smoothie or soup you'll be happy to have a vita mix(i think), even you are making only....lets say 20oz, i feel i need keep watching k-tec to make sure there's no spilt.

like every one said, i like both blender actually(wish i can have both).

oh just small things but for the vita mix, get one has a speed nob, when i use vita mix turbo blend, thats the things i don't like about them.

i never used waring pro, i wanna try them out someday...

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

To avoid the need for a tamper in the blendtec, this is what I do:

fill the pitcher with greens (I use a 96 oz. pitcher) and about 4 oz of water. Pulse 3 or 4 tiomes for less than half a second each. This reduces the greens to about 6 ounces in the bottom of the pitcher. I then fill it with fruit and put it on for the whole juice cycle. and walk away.

• I bought the blendtech and I love it. My daughter has the latest Vitamix and I don't like it at all. My smoothie with small nuts and seeds and pumpkin seeds comes out totally smooth in the blendtech. In the vitamix there are whole seeds left up on the sides.

Plus the round grooved container is very hard to get all the drink out of in the vitamix. I don't want to leave my expensive ingredients in the jar.

Every time I use my daughter's vitamix I am happy I got the blendtech.

Pam

• This helps me with my decision too. thanks

• I have been trying to make the same decision.

• It took me a good 3 months to decide which one to pick up.

The nice thing is, when it takes SO many people SO long to figure it out, you know that either way you go you should have a really nice blender that will help you with your RAW goals.

I ended up getting the Vita-mix 5200.

The deal closers ended up being:

• okraokra Raw Newbie

i forgot to mention that:

k-tec makes everything super smooth, thats what i love about it.

vita mix can do it when you run them little longer, but maybe k-tec does make more smooth, creamy texture i think, i love to make soup with k-tec.

but k-tec makes more noise and i need scrape out food from lid.

if i can own both of them, i will use vita mix for everyday use like smoothie and k-tec for special use like soup, to make cream(easy to get food out with spatula)....

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Thanks for posting this I too have been struggling with this decision I think I will go with the refurbished vitamix!

Thanx

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I just purchased a Blendtech and can't wait to receive it :) Once i do and try it out, i'll let you know how it works!

• I bought a bright red Blend Tec and I love it! My friend has a Vita Mix and I like mine better. To each his own, but I liked the shape of the container, the shorter height, and the programmable buttons.

It does make awesome nut creams. I made sour cream tonight and it's as smooth as the real thing!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

My comments: http://goneraw.com/node/7730

I own both, and I prefer the VitaMix. HOWEVER, the BlendTec is the one sitting on my kitchen counter... go figure. (Actually, I'm selling my condo and it needs to fit under my counter when potential buyers come by.)

* The VitaMix has a longer warranty (10 yr vs 3 yr w/ BlendTec) and I think it blends better than the BlendTec.

* The BlendTec can be $50 cheaper.

* The tamper is very useful for me to make sure I get the constistency I am looking for.

* The BlendTec my have pre-programmed settings, but if the food doesn't get stuck or blend well... you'll have to blend again! I like the variable control on the VitaMix. But, I like to walk away and the BlendTec auto-turn-off.

* The VitaMix lid has the hole on top for the tamper and for adding more food! The BlendTec has a tiny hole you can only fit grapes through... otherwise, open the lid, which doesn't seem as 'safe'.

* The VitaMix has a bigger container. Both are 64 oz, but you can fit MORE in the VitaMix!

* The VitaMix is heavier than the BlendTec... but, I've seen my BlendTec jump around on its own a few time... I was afraid it would fall of my counter.

* Someone did say they use the BlendTec as a food processor. I have not tried this with either blender, but VitaMix does have variable speed control... more precise than the BlendTec.

* I don't like pressing all those buttons on the BlendTec. But, the pre-programmed settings are nice (I still have to figure out how to set those with what I want.)

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

I've got a vita-prep.... and I LOVE ITTTTT!!!!!!!

I use it every day!!!!!!!!

• Thankyou all you yummy people my vitamix (hopefully a red one ) should be under my tree this year.

kiss kiss

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I have both the Blentec and the Vita mix. They are both great, but what I find is that I ALWAYS go to use my Blendtec even though they're side by side on my counter. The main thing is how easy it is to clean out the food from and to clean in general. The 4 flat-sided container makes scraping foods out so much easier than the Vita Mix which has grooves and you end up throwing food away. I also like how the Blendtec fits neatly on my counter under my cupboard.

They're both very powerful and you won't be disappointed in either. I just find that the Blendtec is easier to clean (when you're using a blender as much as I am, I want to make things as easy as possible), and it fits better on my counter.

Cheers and Happy Holidays,

Kristen Suzanne

• If I had the money to spend i'd get a blendtec which can pretty much blend anything i'm tired of my kitchen appliances breaking and having to get new ones that only work for a short time. No on really makes appliance parts to fix them so it comes down to spending extra for better quality.

• i still use an oster, i love the 14 or so speeds and glass canister, and it really does work incredibly well, ibut i digress. we ordered a jack lalane blender for my boyfriend and it is a fantastic blender and much cheaper than the others discussed here, very easy to clean and barely any wasted product. the bottom is rounded and makes it all the more easy to manage, also fits unde the counter.

• I am new to this but it sounds like from what I read I don't need a vitamix or a blendtec if all I want it for is raw fruit and vegtable smoothies. Can someone please tell me what direction I should go if I only want to make smoothes with raw ingredients. Maybe there is not an inexpensive blender that does this well? Please advise.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Flowergirl~ If you want "smoothies" fruit or veggie, you will need a great blender... If you want crunches or chunky's any type will do..

Listen to Kristensraw or be like me and purchase a Waring Xtreme... Wish I had one that was easier to wash, but mine works great on veggie's, seeds and nuts... Fruits are a piece of cake to blend in it as well... smile