pomegranite juice

aimeeaimee Raw Newbie

Can somebody tell me the best way to juice a pomegranite? My kitchen is brnd new and I'm not to keen on renovating again, so soon.

Can I juice it like an orange or do I have zo deseed and then put through the juicer?

Comments

• There are 2 ways I do it...

With both of them you need to de-seed the pom. The best way I've found to do that is to cut the top off the pomegranate, score the sides with a knife. I score it just 4 times, about 1/2 inch deep...just deep enough to start hitting the seeds. Then you soak the pom in cold water for 10-15 minutes. This plumps up the meat a bit and makes it easier to get the seeds out. Start pulling the pom apart and separating the seeds. If you do it in the water you'll notice the seeds sink and the "meat" of the pom floats.

Now that you've got the seeds out you can...

1) Put the seeds, whole, in a high powered blender with other smoothie ingredients and blend those buggers into oblivion. The end result is kind of like eating raspberries. There are teeny-tiny bits of the hard seed, but nothing too obnoxious. I read that the hard part of the seeds have great fiber and other nutrients in them.

2) Take all the seeds and put them in a sealable plastic bag. Then you can take a rolling pin and gently smash 'em up. Once they are sufficiently mashed up, cut a teeny-tiny hole tip off the corner of the baggie and pour out all the yummie pomegranate juice with no chunky stuff.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

I used to run the arils (seeds) through my juicer, but a lot of them just spit out of the spinning basket without getting juiced. It's much more productive and efficient to blend the arils in a blender and then strain; you don't *have* to strain because the seeds are edible. But by straining you get a clear juice.

• To make pomegranate juice I use an old school orange juice press.

This is a photo of the press I have:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NFZ7W206L._SS500_.jpg

I cut pomegranates in half and press. No seeds go into the juice. Yum! And instant energy. Depending on how hard you push the handle down, there may be some unpressed kernels toward the ends of the halves; I make sure to eat those before composting!