Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sushi?

I've just started a raw diet a few days ago so I'm trying to learn as much about it as I can. As opposed to digging through books or internet sites I thought getting personal opinions would be more helpful. I realize that raw diets are supposed to be vegan but I absolutly LOVE sushi and was wondering if that would be part of the raw diet. Most sushi contains raw fish but there are also types that contain only vegetables such as seaweed, avacado, cucumber and various types of fruit. However, most does contain the raw fish. Some of the reading I've done didn't express anything about a vegan diet, but rather a diet that contains NO cooking, both meat and vegetables. Since the fish in sushi is not cooked would it still be a part of the raw diet? Any advice you guys could share would be greatly appreciated...thank you!

Comments

• Hi kthornton! Congrats on beginning this new chapter of your life! Sushi is a tricky issue I think. A lot of raw foodists, if I may be so bold to assume, usually came to raw food through a vegan lifestyle. I think that is why most do not consume raw meats or fish. Also, in eating fish, you may be consuming some toxins that you may not want as opposed to with a diet composed of organic fruits, vegetables, and sprouted grains. though the raw diet does seem to be very specific, depending on which raw foodist you talk to, you will find a large range of different foods that are "safe" and not on the do not consume list. My advice to you would be to listen to your body. If you truly find yourself needing to consume fish to maintain your health, please indulge. Otherwise, I would stick to a raw vegan diet. I hope this is helpful!

• Thanks for your advice! That's kind of what I was thinking as well. I'm just worried that I'm not going to get enough protein and calcium in my diet. I suppose with a little research I can find ways to include both in a regular diet.

• I also love sushi but I'm not willing to consume rice, so I just make my own nori rolls with raw fish and vegetables, or often with just vegetables. When I don't use fish as my raw fat I find it's essential to replace it with avocado and/or olives. Some ingredients I find work well for nori rolls include avocado, cucumber, carrot, celery, olives, fennel bulb, orange/red bell pepper, cabbage, endive, swiss chard, and lettuce. If I'm really in the mood for fish I'll cut up some thin sashimi slices and dip them in soy sauce with wasabi(sometimes I'll add ginger to the soy to get extra antibacterial properties).

I've found since being really raw my body no longer has any craving for eggs ever, but every so often it does desire raw salmon. I always listen to my body, if it ever stops desiring salmon on occasion I'll definitely stop eating it.

And you're absolutely correct that getting helpful opinions from other people is the best way to go (:

• If you process things like cauliflower, pine nuts, parsnips, almonds or a combination of these in your food processor until they resemble rice they work really well as the rice in sushi, then fill with your favourite sushi ingredients.. I love mushroom, tomato, carrot, cucumber and avocado. You can then do a nice dipping sauce or add flavour to the rice or filling.... looks like the real thing and tastes even better...

• Ani Phyo has some grest raw nori roll recipes as does Renee Underkoffler iin Living Cuisine. Definitely look at those and here as well. I was a sushi junkie and I love making these rolls now. It's not hard and i don't have a sushi mat. They taste better because the pate that takes the place of the fish is so much more flavorfull. Good luck to you.

• Thanks for all the recipe ideas! =)

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

If I'm really craving it, I give in and eat raw fish. I try to stick with sashimi, to avoid the rice. I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I'd like to point out that a lot of the fish and seafood served in typical sushi joints is not raw. A lot of the fish has been marinated, cured and/or frozen at the time it is caught, to keep parasites at bay. A lot of the seafood has been cooked. The nori in the maki rolls is toasted/roasted and of course, the rice is cooked. Sushi rice is seasoned with salt, white sugar and rice vinegar (all three are not raw). If you're a miso soup fan, as I am, none of the ingredients will be raw. The pickled ginger is pickled in white sugar and the wasabi is not raw, unless you're eating in a really high end restaurant that grates the fresh root onto your plate. The soy sauce is not raw either. All that said, if I'm craving a sushi/sashimi experience, I go for it. I figure it's my body craving those things. I don't do it often, so I don't lose any sleep over it. I try to avoid the rice, mostly because it's low in nutrients, but if I feel like eating it, I will. I like the idea of raw vegan sushi. One of these days I'll try making my own rolls with the untoasted nori I bought. For now, though, I'll indulge my cravings once a month or so, or whenever I find myself at a Japanese restaurant.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Yes, I recommend you do more research if you're worried about nutrients like protein and calcium, which are found abundantly in plant-based foods.

But as for eating fish, raw or otherwise, that will certainly depend on why you've arrived at this point in your 'dietary development.' If you're unconcerned about the animal cruelty or environmental impact of your diet, for example, then you probably can continue to eat fish if you choose. But many raw vegans are concerned about these things, so they avoid animal ingredients.

• I just stick to sashimi... SALMON AND AVOCADO... so good! I found that Ani Phyo's raw sushi is delicious and tastes just like real sushi with the ginger patte

• kthorton19~ personally, I don't think there is one certain way to raw. Yes, there are general guidlines, such as the vegan way, but depending on "how raw" you want to become should determine your choice of continuing to eat sushi. All people are at different percentages in their raw life. Make this your personal choice and raw lifestyle, don't try and copy someone else's because everyone is different, and so are their bodies and views/beliefs.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

You're worried about getting enough protein. I answer that question on my blog here:

http://2juicy.blogspot.com/2008/12/protein_5953.html