Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is there a way to raw prep a pumpkin?

Is there anything raw/tasty you can do with a pumpkin? My Halloween Pumpkin didn't get carved, and I'd like to eat it rather than just throw it out... any suggestions?

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

There are a number of raw pumpkin and sweet potato recipes on this site. I did a quick Advanced Search, thinking a recipe or two would stand out, and I'd reference them here. Silly me. I should have known better. This site is so awesome there are 9 pages of "pumpkin" recipes.

For Advanced Search tips check here: http://www.goneraw.com/forum/site-use-tips-and-hints (see post #3)

• seaweedseaweed Raw Newbie

Simple prep tips:

-shred and wrap in a nori sheet/collard green leaf with veggies and raw tahini

-chop up, soak overnight to soften, blend with soaked sundried tomatoes, fresh ginger, garlic, etc., for a quick soup.

-grate finely, mix in minced ginger, squeeze lemon juice, and pack tightly into a glass jar. allow to ferment for a few days. alternately, if you want to use salt (I ferment without it) soak in sea salt and water.

-chop finely and marinate in lemon juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar,,,etc

• beanbean Raw Newbie

you can ferment pumpkin? whoah. That's kind of cool, though I suppose you can ferment anything if you try- does pumpkin taste good fermented?

you're quite creative, seaweed!

• okraokra Raw Newbie

i haven't try pumpkin yet but so far i made:

coconut curry soup with butternut squash.

pumpkin cheese cake with kabocha (japanese kind,very sweet it self) with lemon, coconut butter, ginger and made crust with nuts and dried figs,yum!

pretty sure any kind of winter squash work, they are sweet and have nice color, love them.

only problem is they are too big...!

i never tried to ferment them, great idea!

now i don't need worried about left over,

thank you seaweed!

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I would love to know if there is some sort of pumpkin bread recipe. I have had severe cravings lately (that I have divulged) for pumpkin flavored stuff. Need something raw though. Going to check the search, but if anybody knows anything not on this site, I would love to see it.

• seaweedseaweed Raw Newbie

Pumpkin tastes great fermented, I made a batch last week. The ginger really adds a delicious touch to it, and I'm sure some fresh garlic and/or chili peppers would do good as well.

has anyone tried juicing pumpkins? just a thought. the pulp would be great to make raw breads with!

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

I found this recipe for Pumpkin Nog

Servings: makes approx 3.5 cups

this is a yummy and hearty alternative to egg nog! you can add dates or maple syrup if you prefer it a bit sweeter. cheers!

Ingredients:

1 cup diced pumpkin

1 banana

2 cup nut milk

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

here's a recipe from VeRAWnika Clay for Pumpkin Pie Cookies

sorry reciprocipe, she calls for Sugar pumpkin not Jack o'lantern

1 c fresh pumpkin

1/4 c dried pumpkin seeds

1 tbl. pumpkin pie spice

1 tbl. vanilla flavor or extract

1 c golden raisins

2 tbl. agave nectar

1/3 c coconut oil

dash sea salt

2 tbl. psyllium husk

mix in food processor until smooth, shape into cookies & refrigerate 1 or more hrs.

or skip the psyllium husk, shape cookies & dehydrate for 8 hrs. at 105

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

We love pumpkin. I posted a recipe for mock salmon with walnuts and pumpkin and other good stuff, blended in the FP and spread on nori. Oh, man, it's good.

• raw pumpkin pie!

1-3cups pumpkin

1-2 cups coconut meat

1/2-3/4c coconut oil

pinch of sea salt

1/4-1/2c raw honey

put all of this into a strong food processor or a vita mix and blend until smooth and creamy

the crust

1-4cups soaked almonds

1-3cups soaked dates

1-3tblsp coconut oil

pinch of salt

process in a strong food processor

press itno pan then pour pumpkin filling in, put in the fridge for a few hours and enjoy!

www.superherosnacks.com

• beanbean Raw Newbie

Mock salmon with pumpkin? *drools*

the mock salmon recipes are some of my favorites to make! Generally I make them nut-free since I don't really do nuts or seeds, but I've made some darn tasty fake fish out of carrots and other stuff!! Do you have the link for the pumpkin one?

Oh, and Happy Holidays, everyone! *waves and hands out raw-vegan gingerbread cookies*

• I would go for sweet pumpkin pie. Just made a crust and puree the pumpkin with spices and add agave, pinch sea salt to taste. Dehydrate for about 1 hour.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

bean

I found the salmon recipe last night. If you click on my pic it will be in my favorites (I know, I have a bunch). Anyhow it's the one called pate'. The one with red lentils sounds good too. You have a Happy Holiday Season too!

Same to all on goneraw! xo

• derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

Pumpkin chips was my first adventure into chips (about 2 weeks into raw, just after Halloween). I made like a salsa, and sliced the pumpkin using a cheese slicer to get thin, even slices. Marinaded the pumpkin slices in the salsa, then dehydrated it for about 18 hours. Tasted good, I wished that I had added something with a bit more of a salty taste, e.g. Braggs or sea salt.

BTW, today we had a company lunch, and I ended up eating something that I think was chicken. I think that I got a ****load of MSG too. From that, I learned that (in future) I should just order *one* item that I know and stick to it.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Ooh, Grateful favorited one of my recipes! Woot!

Here's the link

http://goneraw.com/node/10296

• raw pumpkin pie

at the risk of sounding proud (i am!) I confess there's an outrageous raw pumpkin pie on my blog (http://eat2evolve.blogspot.com). i created the crust by mixing and matching from different recipes and the filling is sooooo spicy & creamy (use a high speed blender to really get it smooth)...

happy holidays!