Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sea Salt

CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

So, what is the difference in Celtic Sea Salt and just regular Sea Salt, other than the price. $15 for Celtic is really high. At least that is what it is here and you get about 4 times less than you would regular sea salt.

Lilly Richards

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I think the Celtic one is higher in trace minerals and is totally pollution free from pristine waters. Regular sea salt I think comes from regular polluted oceans.

Lilly Richards
  • wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

regular sea salt is still refined so you lose a lot of the minerals. break the bank and get the real stuff.

Lilly Richards
  • RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

there you go.

Lilly Richards
  • Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

The biggest difference would be the processing. Natural sea salt is minimally processed, sometimes sun dried.

Both conventional and sea salt's main ingredient is sodium chloride - conventional table salt ie Morton's contains nearly 100% while different forms of sea salt may contain somewhere in the high 80-90%.

If sodium chloride is what you are looking to avoid, your best bet is not using any form of salt and getting your sodium naturally through plant food. That would also be where you'd get your mineral spectrum.

Lilly Richardsschwam66jacksan
  • gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hi Caleb,

Do you ever eBay? You can find Celtic Sea Salt (gray color) or even the Himalayan Sea Salt (pink) for about 3.00 plus 3.00 to ship. That's for 8 oz. which would really last me a long time. I'm looking forward to getting some but I'm waiting because I still have plenty of the more refined sea salt. But I could always just use that for my neti pot if I finally get around to getting some of the good stuff. I understand it's sun dried, can contain 84 essential minerals and the taste is really nice so you could use it sparingly. m

Lilly Richards
  • SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Himalayan pink salt is usually a lot less expensive than gray Celtic salt, and has 50+ minerals, so it's a good choice as far as I'm concerned. Widely available, too.

Lilly Richards
  • beanbean Raw Newbie

I have a salt question that might be a bit controversial- I understand that a lot of raw foodies try to limit their salt intake and might even avoid it altogether, preferring to get their salt through plants. I tried a bit of research, and every medical article or website or source of information that I found was of the very firm conviction that salt is essential to cell activity, and without a significant amount they cease to function. I know a lot of medical research is flawed, but my doctor told me I had low sodium last time I had bloodwork done, and this was when I didn't mind adding sea salt to a lot of my food. If I had low sodium then, then wouldn't it be near-impossible to get enough sodium naturally?

Another topic- I don't know what kind of health problem it might be, but after working out, or sweating, or after drinking a lot of water, I tend to feel very dizzy, out of it, and a little bit... well, it feels like my face and arms are tingling, and maybe like a mild fever. This happened last night- normally I have a pulse of about 60, but I took my pulse and it was 84! I thought it might have something to do with electrolytes, and when I looked it up on a few medical websites (wrongdiagnosis.com, to name one) it listed my symptoms as the ones for electrolyte imbalance. Salt is supposed to help with this... but I eat plenty of celery, and I do have a bit of salt or dulse now and then... is it really possible for people not to take in any extra salt? I think I might have a different issue, but the salt one is one that seems really possible... does anyone have any ideas about this? I'm almost getting a bit panicky. It's not very fun to feel like you're going to either pass out or have a heart attack any time you drink water or do a bit of exercise- and a bit of exercise is... well, my daily level is usually either an hour of pilates, or forty minutes of running on a treadmill, so it's nothing too strenuous... is it salt, do you think?

Lilly Richards
  • CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

For me I was rally just curious. I don't use salt that much at all and when I do it's very little.

The sea salt I currently have is from Hain Pure Foods and is NOT Iodized. So I assume that is better. Is normal Sea Salt even considered raw or just celtic?

Lilly Richards
  • SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Hey Bean, I've also read some natural/holistic medical opinions that advise a tablespoon or so of a natural salt (pink, gray, whatev) for the sodium and other minerals, which can be hard to get elsewhere in your diet. Like fats, there are good salts and bad salts.

It might be that salt is something you metabolize really quickly? Especially if you're working out a lot.

I don't know much about Celtic sea salt, but I know WAY too much about Himalayan pink salt. Any salt you choose should have no anti-caking agents, no chemical cleaners or other ingredients. Himalayan Pink Salt is a "good salt." Pink salt has calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper, and iron (that's how it gets the pink color). Pink salt is just fossilized, dried-up marine water from about 200 million years ago. It is found in layers sometimes several feet thick, mined by the locals, and sold by them.

Unfortunately regular sea salt is no longer an option as far as I'm concerned since the world's waterways have become so polluted.

Lilly Richards
  • achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Most sea salt has been heated. However, Celtic salt, Himalayan salt and Real Salt are all raw. You can get the coarse Celtic salt at Whole Foods for about five dollars per pound. The fine Celtic salt is about twice as expensive, probably because of the extra time and labor involved in the grinding process.

All land animals seek out salt. Also, our blood is the same composition as the ocean. If you don't have high salt requirements, you might be able to get by without it. However, I don't know if achieving optimal health is possible without it. I have heard plants have the ability to uptake sodium, but not sodium chloride, the latter of which is what our body really needs.

After working out, a lot of people get hypoglycemic, which is what might be happening to you, Bean. Also, hypoglycemics tend to be mineral deficient, and salt can help to remineralize the body. Himalayan salt and Celtic salt are both mainly sodium chloride, but we really don't need much of many of the trace minerals (however, we still need them). Also, you might want to try eating before, during and/or after a workout to stabilize the blood sugar. LOL. :)

Lilly Richards
  • Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I would never give up sea salt. My doctor also has said I was low on sodium. so I never hesitate to add salt to my diet. When I have a mild asthma attack about a 1/4 tsp of sea salt and a big glass of water usually can do the trick.

since I have added it to my diet He has never again said I was low on salt. I use both Celtic salt and Himalayan salt .

But you will need to decide for yourself on this as there are just as many people on this site against the use of salt as there are for it and some can get cranky if you don't believe their way.

also, being deficient in sodium can cause dementia

Best to health to you!

Lilly Richards
  • Lilly RichardsLilly Richards Raw Newbie

I'm using dead sea salt and it's amazing.

Sea salt with no geolocation in name can be from anywhere and it's not bad, just you don't know what you buying :)

Also, sea salts from different regions have different positive effects

ClaireT
  • schwam66schwam66 Raw Jr. Leader

rawcurls has it spot on, try to ditch the salt all together.....

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

A certain amount of salt is necessary for optimal health...just not even near the amount found in processed foods. 

• MyHealingJourneyMyHealingJourney Raw Newbie

Hey all, I ran across  this video about salt that is worth a look.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/sodium-and-autoimmune-disease-rubbing-salt-in-the-wound/

ClaireT
  • AmyLinCAmyLinC Raw Newbie

The trace mineral content.  I've been using Himalayan salt, but I like to switch between celtic and pink salt

ClaireT