Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kelp noodle recipe

My friend just gave me a couple of bags of kelp noodles, does anyone have a real good reciepe they can share with me or maybe jsut a few helpful tips on what to do with them.

thanx

Comments

• Hi There!

I think kelp noodles are only good in asian style recipes so sometimes I let them marinate in some sesame oil and nama shoyu, and then I drain them and top them with sesame seeds, green onion, and slivered bell pepper. Thats really simple but tasty. We use them as a base for raw pad thai and as an addition to miso soup also. They are also good just chopped up in salad.

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

I love kelp noodles. I have done them with an alfredo sauce, pesto, and a bruschetta type topping and have never been disappointed. Although I let them sit in a water, lemon, and oil mixture for a couple of hours and then I drain and rinse and then let them marinate in whatever topping I am using. By letting them marinate in the topping, they are truely soft and not a bit crunchy. That is how I like them.

• I love the recipe on this site called My Lo Mane- it is addictive- and you can easily vary it so it is a very versatile recipe. I eat kelp noodles regularly as they really satisfy the craving for carbs

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

WATCH THIS I am making this this weekend once I get more noodles yummy!!

• seaweedseaweed Raw Newbie

Ani Phyo has a couple of recipes for kelp noodles on her blog:

http://www.aniphyo.com/2008/11/23/pad-thai-video-on-vegnewscom/

http://www.aniphyo.com/?s=pesto

Personally, I soak them in warm water while I make a dressing so they soften up, and then I drain them and pour whatever I made on top. I eat kelp noodles at least twice a week, here are some ideas:

-sauce with 2 tbs raw tahini, 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, jalapeno, cilantro, dash of braggs. Stir it up and pour over noodles, add some chopped red pepper or whatever crunchy vegetables you have on hand.

-"peanut sauce" with 2 tbs raw almond butter, 1 tbs braggs, 1 tsp agave, lots of fresh chopped ginger, a bit of chopped garlic, chili powder. Measurements are to taste, so play around with it. Serve with tons of spinach, arugula, chard, kale, or other green leafy veggies

- with cauliflower "alfredo" (the only nuts I eat are in raw almond butter, and this is about once or twice a month)

basically same recipe for cauliflower hummus (cauliflower, garlic to taste, ginger to taste, tahini) but I add some different flavors.

-with marinara sauce

-with shredded beets, carrots, cilantro, and fresh orange juice poured on top to flavor it up.

etc etc

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

wow- sounds great. Thank you everyone. Im looking forward to trying these this weekend :)

• i just discovered that soaked and sauced (i used hemp butter, flax oil, lemon and ginger but an avo dressing would be awesome)

that kelp noodles can be cut into "rice"

roll that in a nori wrapper....perfect flavor match!

• mistymisty Raw Newbie

I really like Ani Phyo's Pad Thai recipe: , which is also in her book Ani's Raw Kitchen.

I have experimented with making the Korean noodle dish "jap chae", but just from my memory... I think I need a recipe or a Korean person to get it exactly right -- I know it involves a lot of garlic, some oil (sesame?), and chopped up vegetables including spinach. (I marinated the vegetables so they would soft like in the Korean dish)

• mistymisty Raw Newbie

How did you chop them up to make your "rice"? Did you do it with scissors, with a knife, or with a food processor?

I've just received 2 cases of kelp noodles, and I am looking forward to trying lots of different recipes. Tonight must be something relatively non-adventurous because I promised the nice lady next door (she's older and ailing) that I would bring her a delicious noodle dish, but I only know she doesn't like onions, garlic, squash, and sweet potatoes -- gosh! everything I have in the fridge! (okay, I have a big bag of the tomatoes I dehydrated in the summertime)

Margaret