Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Please Help! Birth Control Question

Hi Everyone,

I have been slowing transitioning into raw foods for the entire year and plan to go 100% raw starting on the first of January. Right now I'm at about 50% and love the feeling live foods give me. My only hang up is that I am still on the pill. I have been on the pill for about 4 or 5 years and it really helps with my acne and with my monthly cramping. The only time I did go off the pill was last year for about two months. During that time I had the worst break outs I have ever experienced in my life. The breakouts were unbearable. I had dozens of cysts around my jawline and chin that were very painful. Socially and emotionally I was a wreck! I went straight back on the pill and within about 4 months my hormones became regulated and my skin cleared up to almost perfect.

My concern is that when I start my detox journey I would love to be free of all toxins including prescription drugs and over the counter drugs. This is the only medication I take at the time. Would sticking with my birth control routine hinder my detoxification progress? Are there any raw foodist out there that keep taking the pill or any other medications?

Right now I am not planning on quitting birth control, but I would love advice on the subject. Thank you so much for your help. I love this site :)

-Ellzie

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Why not go 100% or as close to it as you can get for a few months and see what happens, detox-wise? After that, if your body has settled down, you can get off the pill and see how it goes. I went on the pill 7 or 8 years ago, because of a latex and/or spermicide sensitivity and to regulate my too-frequent periods (every two weeks -- yikes!). I'm starting to wonder whether it's a good idea to be on the pill for so many years. I'm contemplating going off of it, but am also concerned about the weird periods returning and some hormone-related breakouts. My friend went off the pill several months ago and has had really bad pimple breakouts ever since. At 30, she's not very happy to have her teenaged skin condition back in full force.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Hi Ellzie,

I used to be on the pill from a young age 12 or 13 to about 19 I did expereince some benefits like reduced cramping but I really wanted to totally cleanse. I think its important to put another birth control in place before quitting and you seem to be really thinking things thru so go with your intuition. You could cleanse everything else and then decide when the time is right to quit the pill. I think it is important to remember that a lot of people go thru breakouts when they cleanse so you might even still expereince that while on birth control if you are doing a heavy detox.

Sometimes the breakout is parting of the leaning process learning to love yourself wholly even your spontaneous imperfections. I used some of those moments to really let go of worrying about what others thought of me.

You should look up some info on the adverse effects of the pill certain cancers are prevalent in majorities of women who spend a long time on the pill (that was the clencher for me) Also I wonder when you went off of it vefore did you set in place some food or supplements that balance hormones such as herbal tinctures, Maca, St Johns Wort? Those things have helped me in the past. Good luck on your cleanse.

Many Blessings,

Peace

• I would find a naturopath in your area to work on this with. If anyone knows how to transition from using chemicals to being all natural it would be them. : )

http://www.naturopathic.org/findannd.php

and I would think (hope!) that a naturopath would be supportive of a raw lifestyle.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i'm glad you posted about this because i am detoxing right now, but still take my allegra-d. the main downside of this drug is that it causes constipation and i have ibs with con. already.

since allegra-d is an antihistamine, i'm taking vitamin c with it, and plan on weening myself off of the allegra-d all together. i've been gradually taking it later in the day to see how long i can go without it.

i think as long as you are keeping a good diet, your body will still clean itself out pretty well. nobody's body is completely toxin-free.

• Thank you everyone for your replies!

I have thought about what I should do and have decided to stay on birth control for the first couple months of the year while I'm monitoring my transition period closely. It would be devastating for me to have to experience acne along with the inevitable side effects that come along with detox (which I'm sure we are all aware of). Slowly, I would like to free myself of the pill, but that will come eventually.

Kelsi- I would looooove to go to a holistic medical doctor or naturopath, but I have zero money right now to spend on doctors. I just graduated college and I am trying to figure out my next step. Maybe in the future when I'm supporting myself, I will be fortunate enough to seek the advice of open minded professionals that support the raw food lifestyle.

Joanna- Good luck weening off your medication...it sounds like we are sorta in the same boat here. I believe in the body's natural ability to heal itself from just about any aliment. I truly believe that once we transition and our bodies adjust to the ample amount of nutrition we are supplying it, that we will no longer be in need of any other outside medication.

vegan2raw- Your advice is full of wisdom. Sometimes I find it so hard to just accept who I am on the outside. We all have imperfections and it is important to embrace who we are as individuals! It is so scary that cancer is a possible outcome from long term use of birth control. This is a major factor that effected my decision to eventually ween myself off of this chemical.

1sweetpea- I think that is exactly what I'm going to do! Thank you for responding so quickly, I really needed advice on this subject. It seems like a lot of women on this forum are rethinking their use of the pill. The more i read on this site, the more knowledge I'm gaining!

Thank again guys,

Ellzie

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I recently got off the pill, and after minor detox I can say that i'm honestly feeling better than I was before. More emotionally stable, more healthy. I have researched the lady-comp as a birth control option - consider it! I will certainly buy it if i'm in a position to need birth control again. Good luck ellzie!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Especially if you are seeking or with a partner, you should get off of that hormone-fluctuating drug! As soon as possible. And use glycolic toner for your skin.