Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tomatoes

I hatehatehate the taste and smell of raw tomatoes (never minded them cooked), but my CSA included some this week and I expect to start to see tons of them soon. So…how can I doctor up or use them such that that godawful taste/smell isn’t evident?

Comments

• Hi! Have you thought of infusing garlic in olive oil and puting that on the tomatoes with a fresh basil leaf? Other things to try might be yellow tomatoes or cayenne powder on them. Mushrooms, pecans, or walnuts inside a scooped out tomato could be good. And of course avocado mixed with tomatoes is always great. I don’t understand why you have to eat them if yoiu don’t like them though…

• Thanks for the suggestions! I hate to waste them and know they’re good for me. Ideally some day I’ll develop a taste for them, but I tried a tiny bit today and I’m not there yet.

• How about a Tomato Gazpacho, such as this one – http://goneraw.com/recipes/972-Refreshing-tomat…

• Maybe a huge batch of salsa? That’s easy enough, and you could doctor it up with any kind of spices, onion, garlic, fresh herbs, even add mangos and pineapples….and the best part, you could freeze a lot of it in small containers and just take out as needed. Hope it helps!

• There are many varieties for tomatoes. Every one has an almost completely different taste from the others. For example you can eat an heirloom tomato that is red and it will taste different from one that is yellow and different from one that is purple. Adding concoctions to tomatoes like garlic and oils will only mask the taste. Try different kinds of tomatoes fresh from the vine until you find one that you like best. Then experiment with the other varieties and see if you like any others. If you still hate them all then give them up and come back to them when you have cleaned your system and your taste buds are changed.

• Maybe your body just doesn’t want tomatos. Not everyone has to like everything. IF you don’t ant to waste them give them to an tomato loving friend.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

How about drying them in a dehydrator or just out in the sun? You can then soak them and use in sauces (for a more cooked taste) or just chop them as they are and use them in recipes. They have a very different flavor that way, and it’s also a good way to preserve the summer surplus for other times of the year. (I can relate to your issue, though, as I have the opposite problem – I never liked dried or cooked tomatoes – only fresh ones.)

But I agree with Nagev—if you can’t find a way to use them for yourself, I’m sure you could make a tomato-lover’s week by giving them away!

• onematchfire – why waste???? I am absolutely positive there is someone out there (a friend, neighbor, stranger – homeless or not) that would really love some fresh tomatoes!