Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Quinoa, Buckweat and beans

Hi, I am really new to this site, but I love the recipes. Just wanted to know what to do with Quinoa, buckweat and beans. I love eating those cooked, and am trying to figure out how to eat them uncooked. Any advice? These are the only thing I eat cooked, but would like to stop.

Comments

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

For beans I still stick with them cooked, although made myself from organic dried beans and not canned. Not 100% so there are a few things I don't mind doing cooked, beans are a main one because they don't digest well raw. Quinoa you can sprout, and I"ve seen many recipes for buckwheat porridges done raw, I haven't made it myself but I"m sure if you looked them up you would be able to find some ideas.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Hello!

For me beans don't digest well at all ever :( Maybe once in a while sprouted raw. www.sproutpeople.com has the best step by step information for how to sprout each kind of seed. Buckwheat sprouts are fantastic. They are actually a fruit! Some people sprout them and then dehydrate them and put them in cereals or trail mixes. Very versatile.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Use the advanced search to find recipes. Good luck!

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hi Starbright,

I just copied a packaged raw breakfast cereal, mixed it in a gladware cont. and have this most yummy satisfying mix for breakfast.

about...

2 c buckwheat groats

1/2 c sunflower seeds

1/2 c walnuts

1/2 c almonds

1/2 c pumpkin seeds

1/4 c dried cranberries

1/4 c dried goji berries

1/4 c raisins or dried currents

1/4 c dried blueberries

I scoop out a 1/3 cup serving and soak it over night, rinse and drain it in the morning and sprinkle cinnamon on it. Then I just leave it till I'm hungry and add a half a sliced banana and splash of rice milk (you could use water).

Love raw buckwheat! I would be great after school for students or all set if you got home from work and wanted something quick.

• Thanks, I will try it :)

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

That sounds like a great thing, the breakfast cereal...thanks :)

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

I love buckwheaties! Just sprout buckwheat and then dehydrate. They're wonderfully crunchy and yummy. Remember to only let a little tail sprout though. Buckwheaties are great in granola, raw chocolate, sprinkled on top of salads or whatever. I made the most amazing Crunch bars the other day! Just ground cacao nibs, raw honey, coconut oil and the buckwheaties. Refrigerate and wow, so naughty!

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I also love buckwheat. I've even been wondering if I should cool it for a while because I eat some every day.

Like the others said, buckwheat (sprout) porridge is awesome. Just let the tails grow a little, two days maximum, and put some in a food processor with a banana and any ingredients you like, and it has the same consistency as oatmeal.

You can also use that as a batter to make dehydrated cookies. I replaced the almonds in some recipes on this site with buckwheat sprouts and they turned out ok...

Also, like the others said, buckwheat sprouts can be dehydrated and they are awesome! I did that yesterday and when they were done added a little agave to a bowl, the buckwheaties, some cacao and it was an instant dessert! I like things simple.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

Oh yeah, personally I hate quinoa. I don't even digest it raw! And lentils and chick peas are sort of hard sprouted.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

On the advice of a book I was given by a Chinese Traditional Medicine practitioner, I aim to eat a variety of no fewer than 15 different plant foods every day. Some days are more successful than others, but the point of the exercise is to regularly reap the nutritional benefits of a wide variety of foods. Eating the same foods day in and day out, while they may be healthy choices, will not provide the full spectrum of macro and micronutrients that your body and mind need to function optimally. Buckwheat is great, but maybe you should rotate your grains, grasses, seeds and nuts a bit more. The same goes for fruits and veggies. I know it may not seem as economical to eat this way, but with a little bit of advance planning, it's possible to get the variety yet not break the bank.