Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Lip Balm

teadeteade Raw Newbie

i'm in the process of weaning myself from lip balm.

I read somewhere how if you wear it so much (like I did) then it can prevent your lips from producing their own oils... sorry if I got that wrong.

My question is, how long can it take for my lips to start re-producing the oils... they are so dry now I hate it!

It is possible, right?

Comments

• You know I think it is only the kind that have mineral oils in them that you have to avoid. They actually dry the skin, leading to more business ;-)

I recently bought one called eco-lips, probably their site is called the same. It's made of the good oils and it works soo well. I gave some to my family and they all swear by it. I have found I don't need to use it very often. My granddaughter's lips were flaking and after one use they got better.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

teade I would like to wean myself from it too. I too am a lip balm junky, use all kinds of "natural" lip balms, including eco-lips, I think you are just trying to stop using anything and allow your own body to do the healing, am I right?

It might be a good idea to try it when the humidity is higher and it isn't so dry out. The winter may not be the optimal time to do it.

I do believe it is possible, yes, with a healthy clean body and providing you aren't licking your lips which can dry them out even more.

BTW eco-lips contains beeswax, so it is not vegan, plus soybean oil (I'm looking at my tube right now) so it may not be the most natural choice either. I agree that it does feel great on the lips though. If you have a jar of 100% coconut oil or shea butter that might be the purest of choices, or something to use transitionally on your way to being lip balm free.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

This winter, I've been using natural lotion on my lips 1 or 2 times a day. It works like a charm! No chapping, nothing.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

I actually use Merry Hempster's lip balm stuff..

I know my oils aren't right because they are dry now, and they used to not be (if I can remember to then)

I usually apply it in the morning and before I go to bed, but want to break the habit enough so that maybe I only have to use it if my lips happen to get chapped (ea. winter)

It is true that I probably shouldn't be doing it in the winter, but I just want it to go back already! lol. I've been only using it before work, because its unpleasant to get that feeling while I'm working. I don't when I go to bed, but jeesh do my lips dry out at night. There's one particular spot where it cracks and bleeds only slightly.

Would coconut oil work? or do you think that would hinder the natural oils?

• Shea butter is great for your lips because it naturally exfoliates, so you don't end up with dry flakes coming off of your lips in winter. I also use coconut oil...I'm one to talk - my lips are in bad shape right now! Maybe since it's winter try shea butter? You might notice your lips seem more flakey at first, but it is just the shea butter getting rid of dead skin. Your lips and the skin around your eyes don't naturally produce much oil, so I don't think there is any problem using something in winter...

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Are you eating enough fats? I have 2 avocados a day, and lots of greens - i wonder if that's why my lips aren't chapped at ALL this year. It's amazing. I don't have to apply anything, but i use lotion on occasion.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

I eat quite a few nuts. and lots of greens.

I've been using the coconut oil and the crack that was bleeding has closed and is fading! yay! I'm actually starting to FEEL my lips again.. so I think I'm going to continue with the coconut oil, but I do have 100% cocoa butter I can put on to. I usually use that as a moisturizer for my face in the winter.

• Hi teade,

I know too well what you're talking about! I've had problems with chapped, peeling, bleeding lips for all my life it seems.

Not until a year ago have I found what my body really was longing for: water!

The first spot that the body doesn't supply water to when it doesn't have enough is to the skin! So naturally I always had problems with my lips because I was extremely dehydrated all those years.

So what I do now when I see that they're becoming dry again is: drink - you guessed it. But it has to be water, that works better than anything else.

I do have a chapstick with me just in case. I like to make my own out the ingredients that have already been recommended to you here. But there is one to buy out there that is GREAT! It's from eco-lips, it's the vegan, bee-free one. The ingredients are: Organic Jojoba Seed Oil, Organic Sunflower Seed Oil, Candelilla Wax, Organic Cocoa Seed Butter, Organic Lemon Peel Oil, Vitamin E, Organic Lime Oil, Organic Calendula Flower Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract and Vitamin C.

It's the best I've ever had and let me tell you, I have truly tried them all. It's the only one that works for me, especially the ones with beeswax don't work for me. It's like it builds up on my lips, like a layer that makes the skin hard and numb-feeling.

The other great thing that it isn't addicitive! I don't know how it is with you, but I was used to that I would have to use my chapstick all the time. Not with that one! Sometimes I go for days without using it!

So, my recommendation: Water and the vegan, bee-free chapstick from eco-lips. :-)

Hope I could help. :-)

• I also heard Eco-Lips was a good brand (through naturalnews.com). I have not tried it myself, though.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I like coconut oil (topically and internally) as well as a vitamin E stick for lips. I too have heard that it's the un-natural ingredients that are harmful and should be avoided, but a safe product isn't an awful addiction in my book...

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Well, I will say my bottom lip healed fine, but right after my top started to chap.

Its healing now, very very nicely.

I've been applying coconut oil before bed, and on days I have to go out for a long time (work) I might apply some lip balm...

today I didn't and my lips are fine.

They really are healing and feeling fine without the balm!! I'm so happy!

• PamPam

Sonnenhut is completely right. The problem will disappear if you are sufficiently hydrated with water. I have had this problem all my life and raw vegan does not make it go away without dirnking clear water. It's very simple.