Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

dehydrators?

Hi,

I've been looking online at dehydrators, I really want to get one but don't have a lot of money to spend, and found one for about

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I'd recommend not buying a round dehydrator. Just wait till you can afford an excalibur. Your food won't turn out well in the round one, so you'd be better off not buying it because you wouldn't use it anyway. :) that's my two sense. i've had an excalibur for a year, and use it fairly often now - but initially i didn't use it much. I never had a round one, but i've heard many stories of things turning moldy before drying and therefore everything they made in the round dehydrator tasted funny.

• I completely have to agree. I had the round version - matter of fact, I just tried to make some onion crackers in it a few days ago. It literally took 3 days and a lot of shifting around and fiddling to get them to dry right. The air flow isn't good.

I just purchased a Good4U, which is the Excalibur's knock-off, I guess. I've been very happy with it.

I would definitely recommend just saving the money and not getting the round. I have not been happy with mine at all!!!

• Thanks for the advice, I think I will wait and save up, it will be nice to know I've got a good one anyway. I'm just not very good at saving and waiting for things...I want to try so many dehydrator recipes *now* lol

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

You can try putting a high wattage light bulb in your oven and using that, since it's square. Just turn on the lightbulb. You'll have to check with the oven manual to make sure it's okay, I've put a 100 watt bulb in mine and it was fine, I measured the temps and they got to about 100 degrees F (I'm in the US obviously) in there.

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

Excaliber has an ebay store they sell "factory blemished" dehydrators. That's how I got mine and it works great and I have no idea how its blemished-it looks great as far as I can tell. Might cost a lot for shipping to the UK tho (?).

Just saw a 4 tray for $80 US (53 GBP)

Here's the link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Excalibur-Dehydrator-Factory-Direct