kidney disease

my brother-in-law was just told that not only is he diabetic but he also has kidney disease. he is only allowed a tiny bit of potassium per day. most everything i eat is high potassium. does anyone know if he can even eat raw?? and if he can...what can he eat??? anyone know of any good books on the topic?

thanks

cathy

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

looking into a gallbladder/kidney cleanse may be a good start. google dr hulda gallbladder/kidney cleanse. other than that, I have no expertise in this area so I'll keep my mouth shut. good luck!

• thanks so much. i'll check into it.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Will he be going on Dialysis??? If so, they will give him a very specif diet plan that will be able to be adapted to raw... I'm afraid that Mono eating will be his best option under the circumstances.... He will be able to resolve his diabetic problem and depending on the cause and diagnosis of his kidney disease, there is also a possibility of healing...

Raw Hugs to your family!!!

• They're not sure about Dialysis yet. So far he looks like he can manage without it.

Thanks for the hugs:)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

A younger cousin has serious kidney problems (I blame years of antibiotics as a kid). I don't remember her doctor discussing potassium, but DH and I helped train her mom to get a green smoothie into her every morning, no more than one serving of protein per day if that, and as close to vegan as she can be. After about six months her doctor upgraded her diagnosis and says if she can maintain, it may be ten years before she needs a transplant.

(We're hoping ten years turns into "never." She's still in high school and I know she is not eating nearly as well as she could be - even though we've warned her against soda, her mom thinks it's okay if she has "only one" per day. One soda a DAY? You couldn't pay me to drink a soda.)

Whoops, yes, I just realized this thread isn't about me. But please keep us posted on your BIL.