Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Carrot Pulp!

Hi everyone,

What is your favorite thing to do with veggie pulp? Cracker recipes?

I've made the mock tuna salad with carrot pulp-- which was fantastic

I throw away TONS of veggie pulp every week-- help!

Comments

• hi! what a funny coincidence, I just made HeathyPace (from Raw Freedom Community Forum)'s Pumpkin Pie Spice Bars with leftover carrot pulp from juicing, but my version ended up tasting like a rawvegan carrot cake. Here was my version:

3 c carrot pulp

1 1/2 c pecans (*I used almonds, but would have used pecans if I had them)

1 c pitted packed dates (*mine didn't process too well, I should have soaked them first)

2 tbs maple syrup

3 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1/4 tsp salt (*I didn't use salt)

In a food processor, crush the pecans down to crumbs. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.

Spread into a pan and chill.

Maple Cashew Frosting

1 cup cashews

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Holy Crapola does that sound GOOOOOOD!!!!

Maybe Ill try smushing ground nuts and cinnamon into the pan for a crust. THANKS!!

• i love second uses for raw foods. i like to use my pulp from juicing for potpourri. i boil water and add the pulp and simmer.

it makes the whole house smell cozy.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

i freeze my carrot pulp for special occasions. I like russell james' carrot cake - but without so much nutmeg. I also found a recipe on here that i want to try soon - for a mock tuna. It's probably the same one as mentioned above. There's a crazy carrot bread recipe on here too... haven't tried it yet but it looks great! And, there's a Carrot Soup recipe you could probably try out. Just suggestions :) I love carrot juice!!!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

One can never have enough mock tuna.

Pulp from the juicer will decompose really quickly in the garden if you have one (or know someone who does). Dig a hole about 8 inches deep, dump the pulp, cover the hole. This will enrich the soil massively. Just don't plant anything in that spot for about two months.

Veg broth is another great use. Boil, strain, and use instead of water in anything you want. Though technically not raw, it would have more nutrients than plain water.

• When I last juiced, In the winter, I mix the pulp with porrige oats and wild bird food and give it to the birds. They love it.

• I have a composter and it is full of big fat slugs that love my pulp. The compost I get in the summer is wonderful.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

I make a mock tuna recipe with it .

4 c carrot pulp

1 tomato, diced

1 bell pepper, diced

2 celery, diced

1 sweet onion, diced

2 T tamari

2 T dulse

pinch salt

2 clove garlic

mix in your fav mayo recipe

mixx it all together - Yum!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

There is a recipe on here for carrot crackers which I love so much! Would defo recommend!

• I have made that carrot cracker recipe on this site at least 8 times! It is awesome! The pulp works well in that recipe too.

What are porrige oats? Are they rolled or the whole oat grain?

• I use carrot pulp (and also some select fruit pulps) to make muffins for my boyfriend (who is not raw). I'm glad that I at least get the peace of mind that it's not being wasted.

thanks for all the great suggestions guys!

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

Any veggie or nut pulp is good dehydrated and then ground into flour in a coffee grinder. Keep the powder in the fridge and it'll last forever. You can use it for pates, crackers, sauces, soups, bread, cookies, etc. I sometimes juice or make nut milk just because I want the pulp!

Hey thanks Randommara--- can you give me an example of how you would use veggie flour in something. I know you just said in soups, breads, etc but I cant picture it...

• browniesbrownies Raw Newbie

oh no, don't throw any of it away.

With things like carrots & zucchini you can make cookies & breads in your dehydrator.

I just think of the flavors & ingredients in the original recipes then substitute them with raw ones. For flour I like to use a mixture of almond flour, ground flax seeds, & ground oats.

With the more vegi type stuff you can throw it in your green smoothies, make crackers with it, use it in soups, top your salads, include in recipes like raw burgers or loafs the possibilities are endless!

• browniesbrownies Raw Newbie

also consider blending the vegis whole in a blender every now and then to make green smoothies. Its great to consume all that fiber.

• can't find the cracker recipe, can anyone point me in the right direction?

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Hi

I use all kinds of vegetable pulp to make crackers, you can use just carrot or a mixture. I mix the pulp with a little salt, a handful of chia seeds (to stick it all together) and buckwheaties if I want them to have extra crunch. Then I spread them about 1/8 thick on teflex sheets and dehydrate until they can be flipped, usually overnight. Then I flip them directly onto the mesh sheets and score them. I then dry them the rest of the day, that usually does the trick. YOu can add all sorts of things to flavor them: nuts and seeds, herbs, dried tomatoes, spices. Get creative. I do love them with just a little salt though!

Good luck.

• Love it, I'm exited to try it! What kind of maple syrup did you used? I went to the market to buy maple syrup and I didn't find it! Not one! I live in a small island where vegans are so rare!! Sometimes is very difficult to find products that I need. Do you use regular or diet? I don't know.. So please a little help, thanks! ;-p