Essentials?

My fiance and I were recently introduced to raw veganism and decided to dive right in. Today we bought enough fruits and vegetables for breakfast and lunch for the entire week. The problem is, we don't know much about raw vegan dinners.

We would like to buy a good juicer and dehydrator in the near future, and tomorrow we are going to get a food processor. What equipment is needed to make large meals?

What grains, seeds, nuts, etc., should we load up on?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I would definitely buy a good size dehydrator if you intend on using it a lot. Mine isn't very big and I wish I would've spent the money on a larger one. I can't stress this enough!!! The Excalibur Dehydrators are really nice- I'll probably get one in the future when mine dies out.

That goes for the juicer, too!!! Get the best one you can afford!! I got a Jack LaLanne juicer and it doesn't juice greens or berries whatsoever!! A food processor is also really helpful for chopping nuts, making nut butters, sauces, and dips. I use mine all the time. I think you are definitely on the right track with appliances.

The stuff I always stock up on are flax seeds, cashews, buckwheat groats, pistachios, and almonds. These are all great for making crackers, breads, cookies, pancakes, cereal, etc. I do the dirty work in the food processor and the drying in the dehydrator.

Some sweets I love having are goji berries, shredded coconut, cacao powder, and pure maple syrup (grade b).

• seaweedseaweed Raw Newbie

congrats!

you should load up on whatever looks good to you. and don't worry about trying to mimic SAD dishes, over-combining food and overly-processing nuts/grains/seeds makes for harder digesting in my opinion. Sure, it's fun to have raw breads/crackers/desserts, etc, but I myself don't make a habit out of eating these. I personally am raw because of all the benefits from simple eating, literally. fresh pieces of fruit, simple smoothies with hemp protein and maca, shredded veggies, hardcore green salads, fresh juices. straight up, food in its most natural form. I don't really eat a lot of nuts or seeds, but if I do I'll soak them overnight or use a little bit of raw nut/seed butter in a simple dressing.

A food processor is definitely important, same with a good blender. A spiral slicer is cool (but not essential) for making pastas out of zucchini, carrots, beets, daikon, etc. Definitely a sharp knife. Those are all I use.

My dinners are often simple salads or soups. Nothing too heavy, so my body has time to digest whatever I eat before I go to sleep. hella kudos to y'all!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

A high speed blender is the most important machine in the raw kitchen... I can recommend the Waring Xtreme

A food processor and a coffee grinder are next and then a dehydrator.. I use the 12 Cup Cuisinart fp and the stainless steel 10 shelf sausage maker dehydrator...

A juicer is not really needed as you can use your blender and then use a nut mylk bag or pantie hose to strain... I might want in the future, an auger type to make wheat grass juice...

There are many threads discussing all your questions, just go to the search and type in whatever you are seeking...

If you want to loose weight, you don't need to load up on any nuts and very few grains most of which are NOT raw, sunflower seeds are less expensive in money, calories and fat... Remember the more kale and spinach the better... smile

Good luck on your new "raw" journey and upcoming married life!!!