Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

A vegan diet that is very high in fat cannot be good, right?

2»

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

rawcanadian - A sick horse will seek out & eat healing herbs (comfrey) if it is available, instead of just eating the grass the other horses are eating. A healthy horse doesn't focus on comfrey (I don't know if they EVER eat it if they're not sick). Maybe if all humans had the exact same genes, were raised in the exact same climate/environment, had no health problems (or all the same exact health problems to the same degree), had no polluted air or water, did the exact same kinds of activities for the exact same amounts of time, etc. then one specific diet would be best for every single person? My chickens have a choice of various grains, veggies, greens, etc. in the winter & will additioanlly have access to bugs & worms in the summer, but they don't all eat the exact same things in the exact same amounts at the exact same time.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

An animal eating some grass , like my dog or cat, which is very little indeed, doesn't mean that they will eat 50% of there calories from grass.

Yes, the horse will seek out the herbs = LOW FAT.

Yes the chickens will seek out the bugs and worms (fat content will vary greatly).

But you will notice that these animals are not eating 50% of their calories from these foods.

And not everyday.

I find it very disturbing that the poster is eating 50% fat consistently everyday, which is higher fat content the the SAD diet. How can this be healthy??? It definitely isn't natural for humans to do this. How would people have done this 100,000 years ago??

Some people seem to think they can stuff there mouth with anything "just because it is raw".

It's raw therefore they believe it is good for them.

Where would have man found oils in the middle of a jungle?? Where would they have ate sprouted vegetables??

It seems to me that simple whole foods found in their original unaltered form would be the healthiest.

Fortunately, they are not high in fat and do no harm to our bodies.

And as far as listening to our bodies, I know people that eat bacon eggs everyday for breakfast, and they feel fine, as long as they take their bp med and chloesterol pills everyday.

;-)

• I am a firm believer in what Graham, Patenaude, Boutenko and natural hygienists advise. Too much fat in the diet will cause rapidly declining health. They advocate a small amount of fat in the diet, unlike people such as Cousens who advocate almost no fruit and nearly all fat! Seriously, I am not 100% raw yet, but I am vegan, and my diet is mostly raw with some steamed veggies and maybe a baked sweet potato, for example. Too many nuts, avos, oils and fats will make you just as ill as all those processed foods, and I know this from my own experience. I recommend you increase your fresh, sweet, whole fruits, increase your leafy greens, increase colorful variety, and perhaps lightly steam some veggies and maybe have a plain baked sweet potato here and there while you are transitioning and when you crave something warm and satisfying, because I personally think these clean vegan natural warmed foods are far better than loading your system down with nuts and fats. Add some herbs to your plate of steamed veggies, toss over a salad, and enjoy! If you are craving a specific fruit or green or veggie, then eat it, because your body needs it. Just lay off the fats except in small amounts every few days.

• I just have to add my 2 cents that it probably isn't the best thing to spend too much time analyzing fat content and worrying about it. Just go for balance and see how you feel. If you feel fine on 40% fat for a period of time while you get used to raw, it is not the end of the world. Most nutrition books are written with the idea that people are following a SAD diet with all that entails, of 1/3 of the fats they eat being saturated. If you are eating avocados and nuts, I think you can tolerate more without compromising your health. Also the Mediteranean diet is recomended for SAD eaters, to increase their use of olive oil and decrease their meat consumption. I think the fat levels allowed on that are higher than 30%, and imagine how very much healthier it is to be eating a raw diet, even if it's a little high in fat!!

Wishing you the best as you get used to this great way of eating!

-osoniye

rawcanadian - I brought up the horse & chicken examples merely to illustrate that animals of the same species don't all eat the exact same things as each other even with the same choices available. It had nothing to do with fat.

lauraj - I respect your experience & finding what works best for your body. However, you are not allowing anyone else to do the same thing when you say that your experience tells you what will make someone else ill.

I may be an exception; I realize that most healthy people do not eat like I do, but I THRIVE on my diet, which is at least 40% fat. I feel a million times better eating raw with lots of nuts, seeds & avocados (& yes, even oil!) than I feel eating even one serving of baked potato or steamed veggies. I may still be in transition; I don't know. It's only been 3 1/2 years so far.

• About transitioning..

sometimes it is like this; you feel you are restricting yourself and you are beig 'good'

Then fats are the most similar to cooked food and you can overeat to compensate for the lack of cooked foods,

or eat more of it to continue something similar to your old eating habits.

It is sometimes like this for me, I crave the warm filling food..nuts dry crackers and fatty foods are the closest. ad being raw, you feel its ok to eat a bit more than usual.

So it is in my mind only, and in my habit.

It takes time to make a new habit ad once my body gets more into raw, the signals back are very clear about fatty foods, a little is enough.

MAybeif you just give it more time it will adjust itself once you habit is integrated in mid and body :)

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

corecries is right. At first I wanted almond butters and coconut oil, and nuts, seeds, everything! But suddenly, just thinking about that stuff makes me sick. I'm sure once I need them again my body will want them. Just try not to be too hard on yourself!

In the "China Study":

people who ate low carbs had higher disease

people who ate higher fats had higher disease

people that ate high protein had higher rates of disease

These are scientific studies, not just speculation.

I have seen people thrive on beer , big macs, and chips, they feel great, but that only lasts so long.

I was eating high fat raw, thought i was thriving too, then i lowered my fat and upped my carbs.

Now I can feel the difference immediately when I take in fats.

The high fat raw diet is just the raw version of the SAD diet. Same as the high fat vegetarian diet, it is just the vegetarian version of the SAD diet. These high fat foods are comfort food and transition foods at the most.

I personally can't see "your" body being able to deal with 40% over a long period of time, while somebody elses body is so much different that it can only handle 10-20% fat to be healthy.

Unless you have extra super strong organs and super human blood to deal with this, I don't see how it is possible.

Good luck!!!

angie - if you were to break down the calrinutrients of those horses or chickens for a week, you would see they would be very similar.

carbs/protein/fat percentages

This is not the same as somebody eating 80 10 10 and somebody eating 35 15 50.

See the difference, the amount of carbs goes down , the protein goes up a little because nuts/seeds/avacado are higher in protein, and the fat is at 50%.

Which one are you btw??

The healthiest cultures in the world have a high carb, low fat diet.

Good luck!!!

;-)

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

You are inspiring me to eat less fat. I might start by only having a green smoothie for dinner.

Can too much fat make a person sluggish and tired? I am so tired this past week. No idea if it is detox (after going on and off I have been extremely high raw for a month or more now). I felt great for a while, now I need naps in the day and my eyes seem puffy. Is it detox? Or too much fat?

Yes tired and sluggish is a sign of too much fat.

In order to thrive we need healthy carbs.

For a raw diet, these come from fruits.

Fat is hard on the digestive system, so taking in high amounts will make your body work overtime.

Good luck again!!!

;-)