juice fasting...how often?

Hello everyone...or who decides to read this. I am sure this is a common topic, but I just have to verify some details before I make fasting a constant in my life. The more research I do concerning fasting, the more confused I become, which doesn't seem right, right? I have heard of some people incorporating one day of juice fasting per week, and others fasting with only water (something I don't see feasible with my active lifestyle); and I don't want my body to go into starvation mode. Juice fasting one day a week sounds practical enough for me. However, I have heard from different sources that during that day you can incorporate raw fruits and veggies as well. Would anyone recommend a clear-cut plan of which you follow? I would highly appreciate any advice; I would like to start next week. Peace and love!

Comments

• rawjazzrawjazz Raw Newbie

Hey Piscean!

Well of course everyone is different. I have found that having juice in the mornings works for me. I feel it gives my digestive system a rest each day. However, if you can do one day a week of ALL juice that is going to give you great results I feel. I think the important thing is not to feel overwhelmed and not to get obsessed or dogmatic about it. Remember that just by being raw you are cleansing yourself. Juicing is just an added bonus! There is no wrong answer-- whatever you can do is going to be helpful! But in my experience, doing juice ALL day is a different experience than having solid foods during the day. When you are just doing fresh-squeezed juice, it's like being high or something......and you will find that when you start your "juice-feast" at first it will be hard, and then you'll feel so good that you won't want to stop and you won't want food! It's weird, I know. I did a 3 day juice feast and just felt amazing at the end, so you could shoot for that....

Hope that helps!

Janelle

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I just read some interesting articles on CR and intermittent fasting in the L.A. Times here - http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-fasting2-2009feb02,0,2007563.story

In the accompanying story, I liked the suggestion of skipping dinner one night and having juices/vegetable broth the next day, versus doing one day from morning to night. This is an interesting way to "ease into it."

If you're going to experiment, pick a day that you don't have any pressing engagements, like work. I've done hunger strikes (water only) for political purposes and I get rather twirly and schizo...!

• wow thanks for the advice, ladies! i'm actually buying my juicer today! so ecstatic! i'll probably be perusing this site for an hour or two for different combos! Suasoria- starting at night seems so ideal! I've never thought of that before-at least the distraction of wonderful foods won't be present if you are fasting while you sleep! Rawjazz- I won't mind feeling high for three days! Although I just made some veggie soup in the crock pot- It's so darn cold, I couldn't help myself! So I might just start the 3-day feast next week, when the soup is gone. Thanks again, gals!

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Just to clarify, when you guys are talking about 'juice fast' are you talking about juice made in a blender or in a juicer? It seems to me that there is a big difference between the two, and I am not sure which one is better for cleaning/healing purposes. Can you please explain?

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Juicers give juice - in a blended I'd call it a smoothie, which is basically intact solid food.

Here's some additional info.

http://www.rawreform.com/content/view/271/137/