Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

daily fiber intake

seaweedseaweed Raw Newbie

Hey

So the other day I plugged in my eats of the day and it turns out I've been averaging about 40 grams of fiber a day! I've been adding 2 tbs of hemp seed protein to my morning smoothie, that already has 1 med banana, a handful of fresh berries, and 1 tbs of maca powder. These babies end up with around 14 grams of fiber, so the amount of fiber in the other food I eat throughout the day adds up quickly. These smoothies keep me satisfied for at least 4 hours, and usually I'll have an apple or another piece of fruit/vegetable as a snack. Whenever I get hungry I'll have a simple salad later in the day for dinner with some type of greens, tomatoes, sea vegetables, sprouts, and an apple cider vinegar/tahini dressing. This has turned out to be my routine, and it works quite well.

Now, I don't feel bloated, gassy, heavy, or have had any "variations" like diarrhea or constipation. Is there a problem with "too much fiber", since "they" recommend around 25g per day? Should I lower my fiber intake? How much fiber do you average per day?

Thanks!

Comments

• The fiber recommendation is for people who do not get enough fiber. It is not a limit on how much your body can handle, but just a number that you should make sure you are getting atleast that much. You are golden with your fiber intake. I have that much in my diet most of the time as well, if you are not gassy or bloated just enjoy all your delicious fiber rich foods!

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I feel like I get too much sometimes, so I add dehydrated pizza crusts (buckwheat) to slow things down a bit. I add probiotics, too, otherwise I use the restroom too often.

If you are not having a problem, don't worry about it.

• I've always been told that I eat too much fiber (either by friends, family and even doctors) but I have zero symptoms of it. If I cut back, I feel just the same way. If I add more, still the same. Just do what your body is capable of.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I can think of no negatives to a high-fiber diet, except possibly outliving all your friends and being lonely when you hit 95, 100, 115 years old...but you'll still have us!!

• I think the 25g fiber is meant to be a minimum, a target for people who are averaging 5-10 grams, which if I'm not mistaken is the typical SAD intake. These folks would never dream that anyone would ever even try to eat as healthy as a vegan, leave alone a raw diet!

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

Can I just ask one more time...

Is this normal?

I go to the bathroom two or three times in the morning. The first will be solid yet easy to pass and the other one or two will be quite loose. Not diarrhea, but loose.

I don't have any other problems during the day. I don't feel particularly bothered by this (because at least I am not leaving class to go to the bathroom all the time like I was when I first started raw), but I just want someone to tell me if this is bad or I am digesting too fast.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

carnap, if i went as much as you do, i would be in heaven!!! i think that you are just fine. is this after you eat or before you eat?? either way, i wouldn't worry about it. i would embrace it haha

• im glad you brought this up, because today i realized how i regularly had around 40 grams of fiber, which is apparently 159% of the daily value, haha. i was also wondering if that was too high. then again, why trust health advisors that think you need 11 servings of whole grains a day?

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

just out of curiousity, i went on this website http://www.fitday.com/ so see what i was eating every day. turns out, i've eaten 52.3 grams of fiber today!! i am so happy haha and i feel totally fine, too. since fruits and veggies are loaded with fiber, what could be wrong with eating a ton of those??

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

I've done some research and a lot of experts say that you would have to eat like 80 grams of fiber a day before it would start to become a problem. Even then, the only way that it would do more harm then good is if you went from eating like 16 grams of fiber a day to instantly consuming 40 grams of fiber a day. A huge fiber diet is great, just remember to stay hydrated, otherwise believe me you WILL start to bloat and may even get a but of gas. hehe.... :)