Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ingrown toenail

Hey there - I know this is probably a weird topic to bring up here, but we're reaching the last resort - surgery.

My son has had an ingrown toenail that is just getting worse and worse. Last year he had three courses of antibiotics - then we found another Dr who believes in not giving antibiotics (thank goodness). He then had part of his toenail removed down to the nailbed. However, the skin keeps growing over it and it's been very sore and infected for months now. He's been seeing the Dr once a week to get the skin burnt off, but the Dr says it's the worst ingrown toenail he's seen (and he's been a Dr for a very long time!) and as it's continuing to get worse the only resort left is surgery. By the way, DS has been wearing no shoes or special fat shoes that don't touch his toe. Before we started going to Drs we also tried tea tree oil and raw honey on the toe.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Hi Skye,

I'm sorry to hear that, that sounds terrible! I know what you're doing through, my younger brother has had problems with one of his toe nails ever since he was a little boy, too.

There's only one thing I could think of - which might sound stupid, so forgive me if it does.

First of all: Is the skin already grown over his toenail? Without a picture it's hard for me to get an idea about the situation.

But anyway, I once had a problem with an ingrown toenail myself. It just seemed like it didn't grow and started to get painful. My husband saw right away what was going on and took a pair of small scissors and scored with them right underneath my toe nail, between the nail and the skin, it hurt like crazy! We checked on it the next day and had to do it again, so finally I took an ever so small piece of paper and stuck it there, between the toe nail and the skin, so that the nail had a chance to grow over top of the skin. And of course I kept checking on it - it worked. :-)

(The reason I got that ingrown toe nail was because I cut it to short, by the way.)

So yes, I'm wondering if that would help your son?

Like I said, I don't really know the details about your son's toe nail, so that might have been a stupid suggestion.

Just wanted to have said it, see if I could help.

Keep us posted!

• Thanks for your suggestion - that's actually one of the things the dr had him do, but only twice a day for a week (my son wasn't too happy about it!).

But the problem seems to be more the skin. The toenail still hasn't reached the side of the toe since it was cut back (dr cut a wedge out, down to the nailbed). The biggest problem is that even within a week of the skin being burnt off it grows back. The dr calls it 'proud flesh' - there is just too much there. Not sure why it's growing so rampantly.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Ugh, this sounds awful. When you said "rampant skin growth" I immediately thought of Candida for some reason.

All things considered I wouldn't rule out surgery, but it might be something he has to do many times over the course of his growing years. Still, if it improves his life...and you're willing to wait on him while he recovers, which of course you are because he's your baby...then it might be the right thing to do.

• Lol - wait on him because he's my baby - you obviously think I'm much nicer than I am (actually, I could probably take a couple of days of work for him - but he's fifteen and very self-sufficient)! No really, if it gives him relief and works it wouldn't be too much of a problem. However I've heard it quite often doesn't fix the problem and people have to have it done repeatedly.

Anyway, thanks for your help and support - I'll let you know how it goes next weekend.

Skye

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Skye~

If you are open to a non-toxic topical option, feel free to email me. I've used this in the past and it works great.

• Monstrous Thanks For man,which adviced in forum Cospofugin liquid.I have removed about 30% of nail at home without pain and blood,tumor of toe's skin are decreased.The chemistry's website,where i have bought Cospofugin liquid 5ml,www.euroaptieka.com