Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Jogging tips

Im wanting to start jogging, im in need of some excercise BAD but i dont wanna pay for any excercise classes.

Im sure there is quiet a bit of you who like to jog, do you have any tips to help me get started??

thanx

Comments

• well, the best advice I can offer is make sure you stretch and warm up. I have run for years, but this past month pulled my IT band, which is a common runners injury but excruciatingly painful. It has been 5 weeks and it is only slightly better. I miss running so much!!! Also, make sure you have proper footwear - this is super important! :-) Hope that helps

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

check out the couch to 5k running plan

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

that will help you get started on running. good luck!

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hello,

I think ive written about this here before so I hope Im not repeating myself.-- anyway,

I have never been a 'runner' and up until 2005 the farthest Id ever run was the mile in high school gym class. Now I've run 3 marathons (for charities). Here is what I would suggest

1. Go to a shoe store that ONLY sells running shoes and whose employees are runners (Fleet Feet is a good one but depends on where you are located)-- and have the salesperson help you get good shoes. They should watch you run and see how you land on your feet. Get the shoes that feel the best no matter if you think they are ugly =)

2. Get an ironman triatholon watch (they are pretty cheap these days-- got mine at target for 25 bucks.

3. dont wear anything cotton

4. Start jogging using Interval Training. Depending on your running ability and fitness level-- set the watch to 1 minute intervals to start (jog 1 minute walk 1 minute for 20 minutes or so). Once you feel good with that and your body gets used to it-- increase the jog to 2 minutes and so on. You could run 6 minutes and walk 2-- or whatever feels best!

• I would say that the most important thing about running is your mindset when you do it. You need supportive shoes, of course, but you need a supportive attitude most of all. Motivating yourself to go out and jog when it is raining, grey, you're stressed, or tired is hard. That's why I think you need to be able to run without feeling like you are forcing something you hate or really don't want to do. Also, be easy on yourself. I personally could not do interval training. I would start setting too high of standards for myself and stress out on days when I am tired. Mix up your routes so you don't get bored. Play games. Sometimes I put a dollar in my pocket and on my way home stop by my grocery store to see what I can get for a dollar. Sometimes I run for distance, and sometimes I decide I want to run for 40 minutes and just loop around wherever until 40 minutes is up.

Wear whatever is comfortable. Cotton is just fine :)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I would also recommend that 'Couch to 5k running plan', as I started with that last spring and was suprised at just how easy it is to build your ability up over a short space of time. I really love running and the buzz it gives me.

Don't force things, just start gently and you'll be suprised at how far you can go!

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

cotton is cool for short distances-- but you could experience some nasty chafing if you run longer-- if you are sweating alot-- and chafing HURTS

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

Thanks everyone! i look forward to getting started. i also need to get a jogging stroller for my little man :)

we ahve apretty neet store here call ... Fit2Run so i'll be hittng that up asap !

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

i agree about the cotton. find some wicking material. If you live in a colder area and you run in cotton, the sweat will stay on your skin so you will get overheated and once you stop your temp will drop too quickly, giving you immediate chills which can make you sick later.

I ran in the cold (about 35 degrees) in a t-shirt and hoodie. My body temp dropped really bad when i got done that i took a super long hot shower and couldn't get warmed up, then i threw up. its just too hard on your body.

• Hey rawmama-

I was in your shoes just a couple of months ago. When I first started jogging I could barely go 1/4 mile without feeling like breathing was the hardest thing in the world. Now I'm up to about 4 miles :). For me the hardest challenges were:

a) just getting out the door- I've started going jogging first thing in the morning. If I wait longer than an hour after I wake up, I just talk myself out of it. Also, the longer I've sat around waiting, the harder it is to motivate once I'm actually out on the road.

b) committing to a full route- I didn't force myself to jog the entire thing, but I chose a route that was no less than 2 miles long. Even if I only jogged 1/2 mile, I was still out moving a good distance (now I make sure my routes are at least 4 miles long- and I'm jogging most of the way!) I kept the idea of intervals in the back of my head, but being too strict about timing didn't really work out for me.

c) having running buddies- even if it's just once a week, knowing I've got that jog on Monday morning with somebody who is going to push me motivates me to go out multiple times during the week so I can keep up.

Oh, and if it's at all possible, try to find someone to watch the baby for you during your first few months. I tried getting my run in a couple times while I had my nephew in the jog stroller (one of the nicer ones) and it made it WAY more difficult. My body was still in the early stages of figuring out how to move at a jog and having to hold on to the jog stroller too was just too much.

So i still havnt made my first step toward jogging, yet. im not sure whats stopping me?? i know i need this. Im going to do it. wish i had someone to jog with me but i cant wait and rely on someone else to get my focused.

does jogging really even make u make a difference and how you feel overall??

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

rawmama, it will only make a difference if you enjoy it!! i absolutely loathe jogging and running so i don't do it. i have other ways of staying active like dancing and cycling.

• my advice is get out the door and run walk for alternating minutes...maybe that means you're running five minutes, walking for five, then running for five...maybe it means you're running for 30 seconds, and walking for 30 seconds, then back to running...it's OH SO stinking important to go easy on yourself.

Another key thing that a lot of new runners experience is shin splints...watch out that your shins aren't hurting, because if they are, you're either running to far/too long, or else your shoes are crap...

You should make sure CERTAIN sure to stretch VERY well, but that doesn't mean ripping or shredding any muscles, a yoga practice type of stretch. I love to practice my yoga before a run, it leaves me limber:) I've been running for years, and I've always found yoga before and after to be the best for me.

Please make sure that you're not JUST running; you need to do some squats or other similar exercise to strengthen your quads.

I had some serious injuries a couple of years back on account of my ligaments being quite loose...and I was wearing old shoes - get yourself a GOODpair of shoes, from a SERIOUS shoe store. Saucony or new balance, or asics (I've tried all of these out over the years, but I've found Asics to be the best for me.) Watch out for a low, medium, or high arch. That will determine what kind of shoe you need.

PORE over Runner's world, you're stepping into something that could SUCK you in because it's so addicting:) I'm SO THRILLED for you! I am a total running addict, and I'm going to go in about 10 minutes for a run, even though it's minus 10...brrrrrrr

Let us know how you do!!

I'll keep you posted. i have a high arch so does that mean i need a pair of shoes with a high arch?? i'l just go to fit2run tomorrow. Runner's world? thats a magazine, yes?

i need something to relieve built up stress and my way dealing with it now is - food. so i really need to switch my methods here. thanx for all the help. i'll keep you posted!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I started jogging/running a couple of years ago and it's probably the BEST thing I ever did. It was actually the catalyst which lead me to raw & vegan diet. The buzz I get from running (and exercise in general) is wicked!

The first thing I did was to following 'The Couch-to-5K Running Plan', which you can find at: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This made it really easy to work my way up gradually, as you don't want to hurt yourself.

I bought myself a cheap little MP3 player so I could download running podcasts or listen to music when I run. This also helps a lot.

I'd say give it a go and see how you do, but if you find jogging/running isn't for you...don't worry, just find another form of exercise you really enjoy. It's very important to love what you do.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

alternatives to jogging, maybe some strength training, since muscle helps burn fat, if that is what you are looking for. It will work different muscle fibres than jogging.

Here is a simple routine:

Pushups (regular , wide grip, close grip, decline) - do them off your knees for extra reps if your just starting.

Pullups - nice upper body workout, you need a bar, they are cheap ($10 walmart or $40 for the one that goes over the door) - do as many as possible and then use a chair for cheaters.

Do front, reverse, close grip, and wide grip for variety.

Chair Dips

Calf Raises holding anything for weight like milk jugs, or do them one legged.

Squats - some extra weight is also good

Ab work like crunches , heals to the heaven

Yoga - there are free vids online

Tai Chai - free workouts online as well

For warmups joint rotations, DON"T do static, do dynamic warmups, to keep the muscles loose and get the blood flowing where you want it.

There are more of course, that is just a starter workout.

alright, well im going to go to fit2fun and get all ready with a good pair of shoes. then friday im going to start with the running plan posted acouple posts up. i hope i dont waste my money getting shoes. im really going to go give it my all :)

i'll keep you posted :)

thanx everyone

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Hi, my advice running should be fun!

if you just want to run a couple of km (less then 10 or 15) you don't have real problems with shoes, if you want more you will get injured whatever kind of running shoes you buy.

I don't know if you do some exercise now or in the recent past but running is pretty high impact if you go from noting to running. Maybe cycling is better to get you started (low physical impact but good to get the body moving and build some aerobic fitness) with exercise.

If your dream is to complete a marathon learn to breathe (yoga style) and learn a different running style else it will be really hard.

Go easy on the stretching it can do serious harm to your body (especially when your body is cold). just get the blood flowing before you start is enough (gentle run, fast walk what ever). Never ever do 100 meters in 10 seconds when your body is cold you will get injured.

Never run or go on with running when you get sharp pain somewhere in your body.

wear what you want and what feels best for you (I hate polyester love cotton 8) ).

Don't run after you eat (although raw food make this a none issue).

But above all running should be fun!

Have fun

b.t.w. I Forgot, think about this:

1 kg of fat is 9000 calories.

1 hour of running burns around 500 calories.

I don't know how a normal person can burn of 1kg of fat with just some exercise.

• i find it really helpful to have particular goals in mind. i just recently started running and picked out a few short distance races i want to participate in so that i have something to work toward. runningintheusa.com lists upcoming races by state. they're usually for charity and attract serious racers as well as beginners and people just trying to stay active.

depending on the weather, i hope to run my first 5k in january or february. :)

i totally agree with the running buddy thing. it really helps the motivation and fun factor.

have fun! let us know how it goes.

• I can NOT run properly without music...That's my one "must-have" thing on a run, no matter how long or short:)

so do i eat anything lite before i run or run on an empty stomach. then what is best to eat after a run?

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Running after you eat raw food is not a problem. Cooked food gives far more problems (It won't digest fast and easy). But to be save don't eat an hour or half hour before you go running. If you are more experienced you can try to eat but don't eat cooked food or semi vegan raw food (peanut butter/cashews or something like that).

They say that digesting food takes a lot of energy (oxygen and blood) if blood is needed to run (muscle needs oxygen to do things) than it can't be used to digest. I think it's bulsh*t digesting always takes place even if you sleep or run. Just some food (cooked meat, roasted nuts to name two) stays in your stumic for ages that irritates when you run and if it's really bad you trow up.

im ususally not hungry in the morning if i eat dinner around 7 or 8 pm, so that works for me.

oh yea whats a runner podcast,and what is it all about?

any opinions on this shoe

adidas kanadia??

i went and tried it on at the adidas outlet and really liked the feel of it, but i want to make sure it's a good shoe. i would be running on pavement and grassy/woodly areas

• How is your new jogging experience coming along for you, rawmamanibbles? I plan to start jogging soon as well! Good luck!

• I love LOVE this running talk:) how's it going? it's been too icy out for me...sad...Happy New Year!

• All this jogging talk has me wanting to do it. I was Chi Walking a couple miles a day (in Birkenstock sandals) until weather got too cold & wet for me. I am really missing it. I have a pinched nerve in the ball of my foot and have had major trouble finding shoes to even walk in. I recently found MBT which are wide enough and dont pinch the nerve, the sole is very thick and is protective of the nerve. These shoes are heavy and cant see doing any serious walking/jogging in them. Has anyone got any suggestions? Happy New Year!

• rawmamanibbles this is just me but I usually when I exercise (yoga, running, hiking, whatever) I find I perform my best when I haven't eaten anything in the last 2-4 hours. But like someone said digesting food of all kinds does take energy, that you could have used exercising.

• Also I remember reading something a few years ago about a professional marathon runner and how he trained and he said that some days he would go out for a run and just not "feel" it and then stop and go home. It's definitely something to try because there's no reason to run for the sake of it, it will make you not enjoy running. Sometime's i'll go months without running and i'll wake up one morning and just feel like I need to go run, i'm rarely ever inactive i just bounce around from activities!!! Although I do love to hike and always get up Sunday mornings and go hiking thats the only thing I think i've stayed committed too for the past 10 yrs or so.