Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Need Substitute for Whey Bodybuilding Powder, Yogurt? Hemp or Almonds or what??

2»

Comments

• I sometimes add Alive Powder to my smoothies. I have no idea if its raw or not but I really like it. It has a plethora of goodies in it like kelp, dandilion, spirulina, spinach, etc. They have a soy version and rice pea version.

http://www.naturesway.com/?pid=15544

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Pirawna - Great suggestion! Alive powder is vegan, so it would be an improvement over whey (milk) protein, and it's only $10/lb. Not bad. I wonder if it's raw. I didn't see anything on the webpage indicating this, but I could always call the company.

I'm hesitant to buy a whole container of powder, because he's picky about taste - I wouldn't want to waste money. But the powder is a great idea to keep in mind for the future.

I'm going to start by focusing on subbing cashews for yogurt in his morning smoothies. I'll whip up a couple of these for him to try.

Okay, here's the game plan. I'll start with making a couple types of shakes:

- cashews with vanilla almond milk with bananas and berries

-cashews with cacao, bananas, and spinach juice

-cashews, brazil nut powder, bananas and berries.

-cashews, hemp powder, bananas, and berries

I'll report back, after this weekend and let you know the result.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Fyi: After participating in this discussion, I wanted to know the nutritional information for brazil nut powder because sometimes they'll promote something as being a protein food and it will only have a gram or two. I contacted the online store where I purchased it and this is what they said:

In a 2 tbsp. there are:

70 calories, 10 calories from fat

total fat 1g 0 %

saturated fat 0%

cholesterol 0 mg 0%

sodium 1 mg 0%

total carbohydrates 6 g 2%

dietary fiber 3g 12%

sugars 1g

Protein 9 g 18%

Vitamin A 0%

Vitamin C 1%

Calcium 5%

Iron 5%

I put a T in a smoothie this morning and enjoyed it, and it plus the greens kept me full for hours. I also added an avocado pit after reading about it's fiber, etc on a thread, that might have had something to do with it.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

9 grams of protein is pretty good, for using only 2 Tbsp! You stayed full a while huh? My green smoothies never fill me up - they're fruit and greens. But that's okay, because I have greens for a midmorning snack, then lunch, then greens, then dinner. Greens fill me up. Ah, it would be simpler if he'd eat greens for protein and nutrition. Maybe someday.

daniefon - what is in the brazil nut powder? are you talking about grinding brazil nuts? or is it the stuff left over from making brazil nut milk?

Winona, I buy the brazil nut powder from Natural Zing. I believe it is the by-product of making oil. It is a very fine dry powder. It adds a little flavor, but not much, it is a good flavor though. I think 9 grams is pretty good, too. I had my smoothie at 7:30 and wasn't hungry until lunch time. Usually I have a snack in between. I usually eat about every 2 hours! My smoothie had: 2 heaping T. brazil nut powder, a 2 big handfuls spinach, 2 T. soaked raisins, 1 heaping T. cacao powder, a little lucuma and carob, an avocado pit, pinch of salt and a little vanilla. It was fudgy and delicious.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Just a heads up on the hemp powders... Someone mentioned Nutiva brand hemp powder - they keep the hulls on, so it is a *very* gritty texture. Ruth's Hemp and Manitoba Harvest both remove the hulls, so it's less gritty / less fiber, and *more* protein. Personally, I like the Manitoba Harvest best of the three powders but I prefer to use the seed, myself- tastes better to me-- but it *is* way higher in fat that way. I just add the seeds right into the blender with the rest of the ingredients.

I'm going to guess that the hemp powders are a byproduct of oil production, given that the powders are much lower in fat, than the whole seed.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think for the rice protein I use (it's raw/sprouted) it does have a little "different" taste from the stevia, but I don't mind stevia. You could get teh vanilla and add cinnamon and a banana. :)

• Is there something extra in this brazil nut powder? As opposed to just throwing whole brazil nuts into your smoothie?

• You can go to Whole Foods, usually they have single serving samples of their drink mixes; I know for a fact I've seen them sell single serving sized packets of Alive at my local Whole Foods. They also have single servings of Juvo and others, and even their own generic vegan whole foods bran.

It's worth a shot!

Just as a side note, I've noticed that baby spinach is the least noticeable green when mixed with chocolate. My hsuband downs chocolate smoothies like there's no tommorow and would never guess that there's anything green in there, and he's beyond SAD with his diet. Mostly because he's not a Standard American; he's a Bulgarian who grew up during the fall of communism. So his diet isn't Standard American Diet, it's Standard Bulgarian Trying To Survive Eating Whatever Is Supplied By The Government Or Grown In The Backyard Diet. I guess that would be SBTTSEWISBTOGITBD.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i use hemp protein and if you have enough other yummy stuff in there you won't taste it. my husband uses pea protein as well. if you are interested i can tell you where we ordered it from.

I like the brazil nut powder because it doesn't have the fat the whole nuts. I am not sure how many nuts it would take to get 9 grams of protein and how much fat that would be, I try to take it easy with the fats.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

If hes not wanting to touch whey i doubt he'll be interested in anabolic steroids.

Vega thrive whole food optimizer is good has 26g of broad spectrum of different protein sources.

• I'm a big fan of Thorne Research vitamins. please visit:

Best Nursing Programs

• Hey Winona! I saw your problem and know how to fix this!!

I get this from my Hollistic Nutritionest

It shows all ingredients and nutritional

Proprietary Blend: 25 g

Whey (milk) protein powder, flax meal powder, rice protein powder, calcium citrate, magnesium citrate, buckwheat (leaf), Brussels sprouts (whole plant), kale (whole plant), choline bitartrate, inositol, barley (grass), alfalfa (whole plant) juice powder, soybean lecithin powder, grape (seed) extract (includes Masquelier's