Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Smoothie Exploration - Red Swiss Chard?!

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with different greens in my smoothies. How do we feel about red and green swiss chard? Does anyone use it in their smoothies?

Comments

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

i use all greens - kale, spinach, chard, collards, sorel, parsely, beet tops.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Yes, Rainbow Chard is one of my favs!!

I use kale (both dino, and curly), chard, collards, dandelion, spinach, romaine, beet greens, and sometimes bagged spring mix.

I also use sprouts - broccoli, cabbage, mung, sunflower greens, alfalfa, clover...yum! (cheap, and fun to grow, too!)

:~)

• Yes and chard doesn't really have a strong flavor to it, either, so it's a nice supporting character in a smoothie!

• I love red and green chard, along with spinach, those are my favorite greens to use. They are the mildest in flavor. Yum.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I actually find that red chard is a little too salty for my tastes in a green smoothie, but I like white (green?) chard or rainbow chard just fine.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

From what I've surmised when shopping, Rainbow chard is just a clumping of white, yellow, and red stemmed chard. Or is there a rainbow chard plant, that actually grows the different colors? Have you noticed a difference in red chard, and the red ones in rainbow chard, ambiguous? I'll have to admit, I've never compared the two side by side, for taste, but have used both, assuming they were the same.

EDIT: Hmmm...apparently it *is* it's own variety! new to me! And there are more, I've never heard of. cool.

http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Swiss-Chard

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

I have used swiss chard in my smoothies also, it was ok. Organic swiss chard is kind of expensive though, like $10-12 per lb if I remember correctly. My favorite is beet greens with two macintosh apples and a banana, SO GOOD! I use alot of Kale also. Not crazy about the bitter greens though because I dont usually make a savory smoothy just sweet ones. Anyone have a good savory recipe?

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Oh my gosh, ddigiacomo, $10 to $12 a pound?? WOW. Around here it is $3 a bundle, which typically weighs about a pound. I only buy organic greens. I do buy some of my fruit conventional, because some are just not available around here as organic.

Wow, and I've been griping about how three bucks adds up over a month's worth of greens. :(

• Yes! Swiss chard is a wonderful plant, I have some growing to use in my green smothies. I use chard with lots of mint and pear. Yummy!! I also find good recipies a rawfamily.com They have a newsletter with new smoothies you can have sent out to you. Question: Are you using a Vitamix? I really believe that is necessary to break down the cellulose of the plant in order for us to be able to absorb its nutrients. I use lots of fruit with my raw greens, despite what Dr. Robert Young says that we cannot properly digest the two together,and to stay away from the sugar in fruits altogether. Ive always wondered about that, I dont think I could give up eating fruit. And, I have a hard time drinking green smothies without fruit. I cant do savory ones. Juices Im a little better at, I have to work at getting green juices into my day but breakfast is always a green smoothie with lots of raw greens and fruit. Along with Chia seeds, Chlorophyll, and concentrated barely grass. Does anyone know a good way to consume wheatgrass powder? I have a hard time with that one too! And I know its so good for you,but do stay away from Chorella and spirulina! The hype surrounds all the nutrients they include but we can all get those from other sources that dont include algae. Mold, algae, fungus..Microfrom growth! Yukky.....

Try: Chard, mint and pear :)

• Yes! Try red chard (6-7 big leaves minus large part of stalk) 1 ripe pear, 6-8 mint leaves (or more) 1 banana, 2 cups water(Organic) 1-2 cups red grapes. Throw it all into your vita mix blender with a couple of ice cubes( Organic of course) and drink up mate. Get the book "Green for Life" by Victoria Boutenko

• I use kale, spinach or romaine. I've found I can use 3-4 big handfuls of baby spinach and I can't taste it at all. Or I can use 4-5 leaves of romaine and can't taste it. However, I can use 2 leaves of kale and can detect it slightly. If I use 3 leaves of kale, it is very noticeable. If you're not used to greens or have tried it and don't like the taste, try spinach or romaine until you get used to it. I actually love the taste now. This amount is for a 12-ounce smoothie. My basic fruit smoothie usually consists of 2 bananas, 1 cup blueberries, and 1 cup mango chunks for example, along with the greens. I do vary the fruit occasionally except for the bananas.

http://www.RawFoodDietCure.com

http://www.RecipesRaw.com