Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What does everyone do for a living?

Hi everyone,

As the subject says, I'm just wondering what everyone does for a living. This does not exactly relate to being raw, but relates to living a healthy satisfied life overall.

I work in a cubicle for a large corporation, pretty easy and low stress job. I get paid well, good benefits, and it's close to my house. I feel guilty for not being content with this, I feel like my brain is numbed by the end of the day and I'm tired and cranky from staring at the computer screen, sore from sitting here and typing.

I have no specific dream of what I'd rather be doing, except yesterday I had this idea of how awesome it'd be to have some sort of raw foods business - like making snacks to supply to coffee shops, doing custom cakes or catering. Other than that, I want to do anything working part time when we have kids (probably still a few years in the future), if, hopefully, our financial situation allows, which it does not right now.

I'd love to hear any advice on how you got your dream job or how you deal with a less than desirable one!

Cheers,

K

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I am an Art teacher, and I love it. At times I've considered doing something with food, but it's a hard way to make a living, especially since what I do now is an easy way. Maybe a side business some day when I run off to Central America!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Y'all might want to jump over to another thread about what people do and add to that one. http://goneraw.com/node/11091 or http://goneraw.com/node/1599

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

daniefon, art was one of my favorite classes in high school. ceramics is my specialty. i've made so many food looking pots and such.

right now, i am a full time student so i don't work. during breaks, i work at Sears as a cashier but i don't plan on going back. i HATE that place- don't shop there!! haha they always stick me in the mens department or hardware. like i know anything about hardware...

• I work as a finance officer at a charity for people with alcohol problems am also studying my AAT's,help my husband in his business and work behind a bar for extra cash. Try to fit in at least an hour keep fit per day. It's all about balance.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

joanna, we are doing ceramics right now! As a matter of fact, I have glaze on my computer keys as I write this. I just finished glazing a little turtle ocarina.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I'm certified as a teacher of the English language to speakers of other languages... However, I cannot work in France, where I live. I am a full time philosophy student.

I don't know how far I will go with this course of studies (because it is very hard), but like all people who study philosophy I hope to teach and write essays.

If that doesn't work out, I always have my English degree to fall back on, and I can teach in any country I choose, which would likely be in the Middle East ( IRAN!!!!).

I don't know how I got here, to be honest. I'm a high school drop out for Pete's sake... I got my GED and moved on to bigger and better things ! Ha ! Too cool for school !

• Sadly, I teach elementary school (4th and 5th grade). I say "sadly" because my real dream is to own my own restaurant. As a teacher, I can't "teach" the kids about what they REALLY should know. Things like how bad the SAD is - including their school lunches, or about the monopoly Monsantos has on so much of the agriculture business, or how toxic the tap water is... Yeah, it pays the bills and it's nice to have a salary with benefits - but I feel like I am being untrue to my students, as well as myself at times. Throw in the fact I'm gay and, well, let's just say I go to work wearing all kinds of masks. Not very authentic, huh?

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

BIG hugs Nick, I hope you get your dream someday! I was just standing at the frickin stove cooking dinner for the rest of the family being repulsed and downhearted at what I know is unhealthy and cruelty laden and WTF am I gonna do? Whatever, I hope at least at home you are more authentic then me.

I'm a homemaker but before my kids came along I was a dental assistant and would do quite a bit of hospital cases. I would love to go back to school for a surgical assistant.

• I am studying nutrition right now. I feel like a lot of my education is not authentic to me..but I am getting all the scientific background that I need to pursue my own goals. I used to want to become a doctor, but now I have no intentions to help people that do not want to help themselves. So I want to become a naturopath and one day open my own holistic retreat center. This summer I will be working at such a place and I cannot wait!

I say, pursue your dreams!!

• Thanks for the support. It's almost like having a hug!!!!

• This is an interesting thread, because I've been struggling with this as well. I got my BS in Community Health hoping to do health education, but then decided to go for my masters in Family and Consumer Sciences, studying a bit about nutrition, but mostly adult attachment (dating/marriage) and parent-child relationships. I did my research on conflict and, while I took away so much of it that it dramatically improved my personal relationships, I could never make a life helping others with conflict.

So, what did I do when I graduated? Put my personal training certification to work! I was a personal trainer for about a year, loved the job but couldn't live on the pay (in central Illinois) then relocated to live with my boyfriend until he finished his degree (which he did in February, thank goodness).

Rawsaysrita- Those are my plans, too! Well, the Naturopath part. I want to go back to school, finish up some prereqs and then dive back into school. I will be moving to Portland, OR in May, and thankfully there is a school there. I'm so excited!