Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tanning beds

How does everyone feel about this? My sister is coming to stay and wants to start tanning. I have heard its really bad for you but it is so tempting because

I would love to have a pretty tan!!

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

NO NO NO!! haha i'm serious!! my sister goes to the tanning bed 3 times a week and she is always too dark. i've read a lot about sun exposure and all you need is 20 minutes a week to get adequate amounts of vitamin d. now, obviously, that's not the reason you are tanning, but i wouldn't overdo it... or do it all.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

dafodil - that's really interesting that it helps your depression. I asked at my doctor's office if I could get vitamin D from tanning beds (I get depressed in winter & vit. D deficiency seems to be the culprit), and the nurse told me no - that I have to get vitamin D from the sun.

• I suffer from depression as well and can't tolerate medicine...it makes me suicidal!! I am considering going a few times a week for about a month, I tan easily so hopefully it won't be to bad!!thanks y'all

• Well I used to be a sun-worshipping freak [still am] but artificial tanning is very bad for you!!! I used to go but have had few people that I know get skin cancer after using them...altho they had previously done out door tanning but very suspect how it sprouted after indoor tanning...I think anything man-made is suspect actually. But tanning beds burn down to deeper levels in the dermis and and because it is NOT producing the vitamins the sun does it is like a double edged sword. But check out this link for indoor tanning and you decide what you think

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/skincancernet/indoor_tanning.html

Please, pleaaaase remember: anything that makes money will always have propaganda to sell said item/s...but truth will always be truth regardless if you chose to acknowledge it or not.

As for people suffering from seasonal afffective disorder check out this link as well

http://www.mlive.com/living/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2008/11/do_you_have_sad.html

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Please consider investing in a Seasonal Affective Disorder light aka "Light Therapy Box" instead of using a Tanning Bed.

Light Therapy boxes are full-spectrum lights that help to alleviate depression/melancholia that some people suffer when there is less daylight.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/light-therapy/MY00195/DSECTION=why-its-done

http://www.ncpamd.com/seasonal.htm

• yeah that's the last reference link I made as well greenghost... for the Light Box... think that's a much better option than tanning beds.

• From my experience tanning in unnatural light causes premature aging...Almost always you end up looking too dark...embrace your pale skin!! You will thank yourself when you are older and take a look around only to realize you look younger than you are! I for a long time wanted to be a nice golden brown...get outside and do some activities under the sun, natural light is your best source for tanning...don't forget the sunscreen though! There are plenty of natural, organic, PABA free alternatives out there :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Sunscreen makes it so you can't make vit. D from the sunlight.

• and sadly they are now saying that its the SUNSCREEN that can actually trigger skin cancer...use internal things like coconut oil...and limit exposure when possible. Your body only needs 20 mins in it really. Cover up if you going to be out longer.

• can someone recommend a good sunscreen?

• Hi, I would like to recommend to take a look a sunless tanning with great benefits. The LuxeBody Tan Bronzing Mousse is the best natural self tanner made with all-natural components. It is highly recommended for people with light to medium skin tones or who wish to have a natural tan without having to undergo any kind of expensive treatments. It is pretty good. 

Thanks