Orange Creamsicle cake/pie challenge!

JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Howdy!

Well my husband was suggesting I try coming up with my 'own' dessert recipe this weekend. So I asked him for suggestions he would enjoy. He wanted a pie or cheesecake with an orange creamsicle flavor. (you can tell he had a very SAD upbringing in regards to food!). From what I understand, these have orange and vanilla mixed together in regards to flavoring. hmmmmmm :-/

I'm thinking of using a good vanilla cheesecake recipe or a white chocolate cheesecake recipe and add oranges (or orange juice), orange zest and homemade vanilla. Perhaps some homemade vanilla almond milk might also be good too. Any suggestions on this project?

How about orange coloring? A little tumeric? Or perhaps drying orange peels and grinding them up in the coffee grinder to get a powder? Anyone try that?

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers!

Joyce :-)

Comments

• I did something similar for someone craving peanut butter milkshakes. I took an avocado shake recipe and, with some minor adjustments, made a delicious knock-off that could have been thickened even more to make a pudding.

Here's what I would do (and I might just do it right after I get off the computer):

Open and use the flesh and water from a Thai young coconut. Put it into your high speed blender. Go ahead and use the zest from your oranges and add two peeled and seeded oranges, an avocado, 1/4 c. of grade B maple syrup, a teaspoon of vanilla extract or the seeds from one bean, and the juices of half a lemon and of one small ORANGE beet (not the purple variety).

For a thickening binder, you might consider the following: 1 c. soaked cashews, bananas, powdered psyllium husks, or agar agar.

You probably have a nut crust recipe already, but here's a quick easy one: 1 c. soaked almonds, 1 c. dates, 1 t. cinnamon, and a little water to aid in blending when you grind all of this in your food processor. Then just press this mixture into the bottom of your pie plate before adding your "cheesecake" ingredients.

Why not go all-out? Drizzle an orange glaze on top of your cheesecake after it has settled in the fridge. Make it by blending 1 c. orange juice, with 1.5 c. of dates in the blender. Then slowly add one more cup of orange juice, 3/4 t. cinnamon, a pinch of Celtic sea salt, and 2 t. psyllium powder. It should be thick enough to put into a squeeze bottle and then drizzle across the top of your cheesecake. Return to the fridge again to firm-up for at least 30 minutes.

Good luck and let us know what you tried and how it all turned out!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Wow ABQNick, that sounds great!! Yeah, thai coconuts would be good in this! And I forgot about orange beets! I've used beet juice to color raw coconut meringue which worked well. I am wondering though if the maple syrup would help or hinder the color....hmmmm....I was also thinking some alcohol-free organic orange extract might be good for flavoring too.

And your glaze sounds delish.

I won't be attempting this until this Saturday. I have to keep my raw dessert projects for the weekends. But I'm already getting excited to attempt this creamsicle challenge :-)

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Joyce

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

OOOOH! You two MUST post this when you get it worked out. Sounds absolutely delicious.

• Here's a great creamsicle idea from matthew kenney's everyday raw:

zest of 6 oranges

1/4 cup agave

1 1/2 cups young coconut meat

1 cup coconut water

1/2 cup agave

1/2 cup fresh orange juice

1 vanilla bean scraped, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

pinch sea salt

1/2 cup coconut oil

Put orange zest and 1/4 cup agave in a container and place in the refriderator overnight. The next day, blend remaining ingredients in Vitamix until very smooth; then stir in the candied orange zest. Pour into molds and freese overnight.

You could put this into a pie crust and freeze. Ground almonds on the bottom of a pie plate would be yummy!

Good luck!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

OH MY GOSH!!! So funny, my husband and I were thumbing through our raw books looking for a creamsicle recipe I vaguely remembered yesterday afternoon. I didn't look in Everday Raw!! The one book I forgot to check out!!! Wow, fantastic!!!

Thanks so much for this! My husband will be thrilled. And I think it does make sense to use young coconut meat for this!!

Cheers!