Advice needed on soaking nuts and seeds

Hi! My name is Monica and I am new to Gone Raw. I am still in the experimenting stage a bit, and I need some advice on soaking nuts and seeds. Last night I soaked sunflower seeds and hemp seeds. I set them out to dry and the next day I realized that my hemp seeds smelled my place up. Does anyone know if I am not supposed to soak hemp seeds, and the best way to get them to dry? I do not have a dehydrator, is there another way? Also, if I leave them out to dry, and they smell bad, are they actually bad... should I throw them away or just put them in the fridge? If I want to make almond milk or any nut milk.... should I soak those too?

Should I soak all seeds or are there some that I should not such as hemp or sesame?

Thanks for your help! Any advice is appreciated!

Monica

Comments

• Hi Monica,

when I soak almonds or sunflower I usually used them right away without drying then. I think this website might help you http://www.avenaoriginals.com/library/recipe_display.asp?a=Soaking_Nuts_and_Seeds

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

If they smell bad... maybe you can try washing the smell away with water. If the smell goes away, I think they are okay. If it doesn't, throw them away.

I had a smell from pumpkin seeds, just from germinating... I washed the seeds and the smell went away. I at them... still good.

Most nuts & seeds are germinated... except cashew (not a nut/seed), flaxseed... and I can't think of others. I do not know about hemp seed. I just eat them like they are.

By germintating, you remove enzyme inhibitors... which end up in the water... so change the water often. The more water you have and more 'room temp' it is... the 'faster' they should germinate.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

If you are not dehydrating, store germinated seeds in water... changing the water every 1 to 2 days.

Another option, could be to freeze them. But I've never tried that. Their enzymes will probably denature some... and you may lose some nutrition (based on a link someone posted along time ago).

• Thank you! This website really helped!

• Thank you so much!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Check this thread: http://www.goneraw.com/forum/soaking-and-sprouting-help There are some good links on there about why to soak, soak and sprout times, etc.