How many nuts?

RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Hey people!

Lately I've been trying to figure out how many nuts should be eaten daily on a raw food diet. I just got a slew of macadamia nuts (I could eat them by the bucket load, they are SOO creamy and buttery), coconut butter, and almond butter.

I usually don't eat a lot of nuts but in order to eat all the wonderful fruits and veggies I love, I need to make sure I continue to get enough fats in my diet (I have a fast metabolism and for the most part am pretty active) in order to maintain my weight. I don't want to go overboard though with the nuts, so any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I doubt you'll get consensus on this question, but I don't really tally my nut consumption, or fats, calories, etc. I'll go a few days without having any nuts at all, then I'll be in the mood for cashew cheese sauce and eat it for two days. I'm sure there's some bodily wisdom at work, but I don't bother to ask it questions.

Don't forget seeds like sunflower are also great fuel, and a little lower fat.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

David Wolfe believes you should try not to go over about 5 oz of nuts and seeds per day. If you can, try to balance the acidity of nuts and seeds with the alkalinity of green foods. It really does depend on your body, though. Some people can do quite a bit of fat and protein, and they might actually require it in order to thrive on a raw foods diet. Others really need a higher level of carbs, and a moderate level of protein and fats. Tune in to your body to see what's true for you. Good luck!

• After reading Graham's 80/10/10 book I cut my nut consumption down to 2 ounces a day. After a few days I was hungry all day - no matter how much fruit I ate! So now, I have about double that in a day.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

hikergirl, i noticed that same problem when i strictly followed 80/10/10. i just can't do overt fats only 2 or 3 times a week. i don't eat nuts, but i do eat avocados and sesame oil/olive oil. i think a handful of nuts a day is fine though. it's not gonna kill you.