Making flax crackers

Hi! I am super new to this website and raw in general...so forgive me if this is kind of a no-brainer..

I want to make some flax crackers, because I have a giant container of ground flax in my freezer that needs to be used up, but I have a very small amount of whole flaxseeds so I prefer not to use them in the recipe. Most of the recipes for flax crackers I have seen call for the whole seeds... can I just soak the flax meal and use it in the same way, spread the goo out on a sheet and dehydrate it, without any whole seeds? like, if I were to make just plain flax crackers this way, with just the meal...would that work? could it still come out crunchy?

thanks!

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Actually I've seen many recipes using ground flax - maybe try the tag "crackers" when you search?

• Right, I know that many use ground flax, but I want to know if for example in a recipe like the "Amazingly Easy Flax Crackers", (http://www.goneraw.com/node/11440) which uses all whole seeds, I can use ground in the same way.

Can anyone help me out???

I think if you mixed the ground flax with water until you get a dry paste, add a little nama shoyu or dulse or cilantro or other seasoning, and smeared it on a teflex sheet in the dehydrator, you'd be good to go. Post your results as a new recipe!

I add some veggie pulp from the juicer for kicks. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes eh...

• I don't usually like to use whole flax, actually. In most cracker recipes you can use ground flax just fine instead of whole (no guarantee, but I've found recipes that call for whole flax, you can generally substitute -- it's all about experimentation, of course, but I think the substitution is fine).

Apparently it's almost impossible for the digestive system to break through the outer hull of a flax seed, and I can't trust myself to chew THAT well to get through all the whole flax hulls :P so I like to grind my seeds first.

The nice thing about making crackers and such is that they're not fine French souffle recipes where you have to get everything perfect down to the quarter-teaspoon or it all fails. They're pretty good approximations and you get to experiment!

I love adding dried herbs to my crackers; rosemary and thyme especially. A bit of apple cider vinegar can add "bite". Vegetable pulp is a good low-calorie, high-nutrient binder for the seeds and nuts.

• awesome, thank you! Now another question: since I have pre-ground flax, I won't be grinding the seeds themselves. Can I use the same measurements for ground as I can whole? I know that they supposedly fluff up a lot when grinded yourself, so would I need to take that into account when using a recipe? I know they're all about experimentation, it's just that I wouldn't want to use waste a lot of ingredients by adding too much water, or something like that.

I *think* I used 3/4 cup flax seeds and got 1 cup of flax meal.

• thanks!