Need HELP in using the spiralizer (Turning Slicer)

I purchased on-line the Benriner Turning Slicer for the purpose of making veggie pasta, angel hair, etc. I bought this one because it had rave reviews and I paid $80.00 for it. My thinking being, you get what you pay for.

When it came, I tried to use it and nothing happens except that the vegetables break and do not get spiralized! To send it back you have to pay a 20% restocking fee.

My family and I are brand new to the raw food life style and wondered if there is anyone out there who could explain on-line, if possible what I might be doing wrong. Maybe some of you experienced the same trouble and know how to help me? I would sure like to be able to make appealling meals for my Italian husband, in hopes that he too will come around to the raw way of eating.

Please help...

Thank you.

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Ipiziali --

I looked through the threads in hopes of finding some information for you. Came up empty. There were several who posted very positive comments about the Benriner . . . didn't notice any negative comments. This post will move your topic to the homepage. Hopefully, someone with actual experience will see it and respond.

Good luck.

• emtpdmom-

Thank you for the time you took to do a little research. I appreciate your efforts.

I know it may be difficult for someone to actually tell me how to use it on-line, but I thought I would give it a whirl!

Thanks again,

• this site has a picture

http://grabyourfork.blogspot.com/2006/08/kitchen-gadgets-benriner-turning.html

I have a spirooli, it is very similar

http://www.877myjuicer.com/ViewProduct/SpirooliVegetableSpiralSlicer-3in1slicer-makesslicesshredschipsandmore/752.aspx?SRC=FROOGLE

make sure you are turning the handle the right way, clockwise i think, while applying gentle pressure to push the veggie toward the blade

room temp veggies work best

• Thank you so much for the grabyourfork site with pictures. It gives me a little better idea of how it is supposed to work. I just tried a carrott, but it is not at room temp yet, so all I have been able to do is get grated carrotts and not too many at that. It just does not want to push forward very easy, even though I am pushing the platform with my thumb.

I will keep playing with it and wait until the veggies are warmer.

How do you like your spirooli? I wish I had seen those first, because they are half the price and probably work just as well.

The instructions that came with my Benriner are very poor. But the site you gave me has the exact one I purchased. Thanks so much for your help!!

Hope I will eventually learn all the little tricks that will make it a wonderful kitchen tool.

• The spirooli works well for me, it is really fun to use, and easy to clean and change the blades

I also have a julienne peeler that i still use for smaller meals and I love that , too. I used that for quite a while before I was able to get the spirooli

I am sure once you get the hang of it , you will love it!

• Hi everyone, Nice to meet you all.

Does anybody know where to by the spirooli upgrade (extra part) to make tornado potato? Thanks