Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is brown sugar considered raw????

Please help! :)

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

No.

• Brown sugar found in stores is white sugar with molasses in it to make it dark. sugar in the raw is not raw either.

Raw cane sugar? nope not that either try using raw honey or raw agave even though there is some info. out there

saying agave isn't raw either. hope that helps.

• Nancy, you do realize that molasses is naturally in Sugar before it's pressed and processed to make white sugar, right? Sugar in the Raw is RAW... it's pure sugar, just hardened, no chemicals, nothing but natural sugar with the natural molasses in it... read below.

Turbinado sugar, also known as turbinated sugar, is made from sugar cane extract. It is produced by crushing freshly cut sugar cane; the juice obtained is evaporated by heat, then crystallized. The crystals are spun in a centrifuge, or turbine (thus the name), to remove excess moisture, resulting in the characteristic large, light brown crystals.

Turbinado sugar is similar in appearance to brown sugar but paler, with larger crystals, and in general the two can be exchanged freely in recipes. Turbinado sugar differs from refined white sugar in that it is obtained or crystallized from the initial pressing of sugar cane. Turbinado and demerara sugars are the same. United Kingdom recipes tend to call for demerara, while in the United States, they are apt to use the term turbinado.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Shades- et al- What is labeled as "brown sugar" ("light brown" & "dark brown") is white sugar with molasses added back in, just as Nancy stated. Yes, molasses is removed from sugar to make it white. Then added back in and called "brown sugar" (much like white flour has vitamins and minerals added back in and then called "enriched four" after being stripped of it's nutrients from its whole form). "Sugar in the Raw", turbinado, demarara are indeed brown in color, but are not labeled as "brown sugar". I am not aware of the processing involved with those, so I can not add any input into whether they are exposed to heat or not.

EDIT: I just noticed that you (shades) wrote: "the juice obtained is evaporated by heat". I would have strong doubts that it is of a temperature that would insure it to be raw. Most dehydration, unless labeled under a certain temperature, is quite high, and therefor not raw.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I have just written the company that makes "sugar in the raw" and asked what temperature their product is exposed to. I will follow up, when I hear back from them.

xmetalgirl805x~ If you are referring to the regular stuff in the store (labeled "light brown" or "dark brown") no, it is not raw, it has been boiled.

• Pixx- I know where you're coming from and I know the debate here is that when cooked, foods lose their nutritive values, so I'm wondering if sugar even falls into the mix here because even if you evaporate sugar, it loses absolutely ZERO of it's nutritive value because it really doesn't have any nutritive value to begin with. Yes, in the American FDA definition it does, but look at what comes from it in reality... it is REALLY nutrition insofar as vitamins and minerals go? Nope.

The only thing they are doing is taking sugar cane from the stalk and making it so the consumer can actually eat and use it, it maintains it's natural molasses, that isn't added in like with brown sugar.

Now if someone is going to get THAT picky, I would assume those same individuals would be standing out in their gardens with sensors to make sure the VERY SECOND their fruits, veggies and nuts are ripe, they pick them so that sitting in the scorching Sun any extra time doesn't naturally deplete them of any nutrients that it naturally does. On the same level, i would expect people NOT To eat anything from stores then either, because in the shipping processes, nutrients are lost by aging, damage and preservation techniques...

Bottom-line, nobody can be ABSOLUTELY RAW unless you have nothing to do in life and endless amounts of time and money to ensure ABSOLUTELY that your foods have ALL of the nutrients that they have from the very second they are picked or harvested. You can be "technically raw" but not REALLY raw in the true sense.

She's safe with sugar in the raw, sugar has no vitamin nutritive value to begin with, running some water and heat over it doesn't compromise anything in it. Not that this matters to her, but I've been using it for years and years and years and I'm insanely healthy, so much so that doctors can't believe my bloodwork when it comes back, I've overcome paralysis 2 times in my life, should have died another time from a horrible accident and shocked top neurosurgeons bn my recovery alone plus the speed at which it happened...

that's not possible by eating like garbage and putting chemicals and processed trash in your body... no?

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Congratulations on being so healthy, shades!

I agree that to be completely raw, it would be almost impossible for most folks. Shipping itself heats most products. The inside of trucks gets unbelievable hot. I am not such a stickler. May days range from 60 to 99 percent raw, with an average of about 90 these days. But it's not my place to tell someone else what they should or should not choose for themselves.

The original question was: "Is brown sugar considered raw????" No, it is not.

As for whether Sugar In The Raw is *processed* within accepted raw guidelines, I have yet to hear back from them.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I just heard back from the company this morning. Here is their reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Sugar In The Raw begins charring at a temperature of between 160 and 186 degrees Centigrade.

Best regards,

Dietree Bisram

Consumer Relations"

• Thanks for the info pixx

• pixxpixx Raw Master

You are quite welcome!

I found it interesting, and telling, that they chose to use the word "charring". Interesting to me, in that it is not simply the color of molasses (as I had thought), but the sugar is actually burned.

I don't use the stuff. My only forms of sweetener are raw honey, and fruits. My goal (for *me* - to each his/her own) is avoiding *altered* foods; not simply avoiding a reduction in nutrients. Sure, I alter some of my foods myself, by blending them *just prior* to eating them. And I have dehydrated a thing or two- but for the *most* part that doesn't really appeal to me. I prefer food that is as nature provided.

No, I am not "100%". Folks have to pick and choose what they want for themselves, and if sugar isn't an issue for them, by all means they should have what they want.

• My only comment is to beg to differ on one comment 'Shipping itself heats most products. The inside of trucks gets unbelievable hot.'

All fresh produce is shipped in refrigerated trailers, are held to high standards and checked for proper temperature on a regular basis not only throughout the shipping process but again upon delivery. I know, I'm a trucker. :)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Yeah, Ok, sorry I was not more clear (I was an OTR trucker myself - yes, as odd as that sounds- tiny female that I am). I wasn't talking about produce. Frozen goods are temp controlled too. Not everything is shipped temp controlled. I honestly never trucked sugar, so I can't be positive here, but have my doubts that it is. But, in addition to the "big trucks", let me also point out that if anything is ordered for home delivery- UPS trucks are not refrigerated.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I agree with you so much pixx about "altered" food, I also find that eating all fresh&natural state is much better and appealing, every time I try to make an extra special raw dish I end up with a bad stomach, give me green-seedy salads and fresh fruits and I'm happy.