Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How Long does Irish Moss Keep

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I just got Irish Moss... but not sure I will use it right away.

How long does it keep in the refrigerator?

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Did you already soak it?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

No, I haven't soaked it...

So two questions then:

How long does it last unsoaked?

How long does it last after soaked?

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Once it's soaking, it can last up to a week in the fridge. I have about 1/3 of an 8oz bag that's unsoaked and it's been in my fridge for possibly 6 weeks now. It still seems ok. I'll be using some this weekend so I hope it's fine. I've heard it can stay in the fridge unsoaked for several weeks but would love to hear from others.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I guess it depends on what kind you have....the one I got was vacuum sealed unsoaked and good for months, if not a year.

I heard a week soaked, so that's consistent, at least. :)

I think there's powdered, whole, "fresh", dried.

Can you get a pic of what you have?

• This is from the Living Tree Community

http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/product.asp?id=132&catid=22

HOW TO STORE IRISH MOSS:

DRY IRISH MOSS -

Dry Irish Moss can stay up to a year in a cool dry place, as the salt will preserve it.

SOAKED IRISH MOSS -

If you have soaked more Irish Moss than needed you may keep it in the fridge and change the water every few days and it will keep fresh up to 3 weeks. You may also blend the Moss with a little water until you get a thick creamy consistency; store it in a closed glass jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks (it's nice to have some Irish Moss paste ready in you fridge for spontaneous recipes).

Spring Smiles Everyone! :)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thank you, everyone. Your information is very helpful!

Time to make cakes, pies, and cheesecakes! ...oh yeah, and Chef Russell James' raw tofu (using cashews & Irish Moss).

• SimplyRawesomeSimplyRawesome Raw Jr. Leader

I don't know how old this thread is, but I have a question.  I purchased Irish moss for the first time about a month or so ago.  Not having the best of instructions, I soaked the whole dang packet!!!  So, the Irish moss has been sitting, soaked, in the fridge for over a month!  It smells fine but I'm not going to take any chances.  How would one go about disposing of Irish moss?  Being a seaweed, I would think it would be a good fertilizer?  Should I toss it into my compost or would that cause it to turn into a clump of scum?  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

If you mix it in really well it should be fine in any compost, or at least that has been my experience. It should make an excellent fertilizer.