juice w/meals to aid digestion?

RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Hey Everybody!

Due to some digestion issues that I have been dealing with since the beginning of this year (I think it's probably ibs or something similar. I need to see a naturopath about this soon.) I have been making juices and smoothies the dominant part of my diet. I rarely just make a meal to eat because afterwards I get stomach tenderness sometimes accompanied by bloating. However, tomorrow I'm going to my senior yearbook signing. We are supposed to bring our own meals. ALl my friends know that I'm raw vegan but they don't really "get it" if you know what I mean. I want to bring a meal that can showcase the beauty of raw food (I was thinking maybe some raw sushi . . . hmmm . . .) and although my friends are sort of open to this lifestyle of mine, knowing my friends, I don't think a green smoothie is the best way to keep them curious (why people get freaked out by green is a mystery to me, especially with all the crappy looking concoctions people consume on the SAD diet) so, I was wondering if maybe a juice of some sort to have with my meal? But what would be a good juice to help my digestion and hopefully prevent any abdominal discomfort? And whatever juice you recommend, why do you recommend it and when should I drink it? Right before I eat, while I eat, or right after I eat? You know, for the best result. Thanks! :)

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Honey, there is no reason for you to have IBS. If you eat carefully you can never have it again. Stick with monomeals and low fat and you will be free of IBS in now time. Try avoiding acidic fruit during the healing process and you'll be great.

Eat for yourself, don't worry about other people until you're feeling better :)

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

bring fruit! it's beautiful all in it's own. exotic fruit is always a conversation starter. sounds like the bloatedness could possibly be from bad food combining or combining too many things. i agree with zinfandel about monomeals and low-fat. fruit is the way to go! i don't recommend juicing because fiber is really important. fruits and veggies come in the perfect package of fiber and water so that the sugar is released slowly. when you take away the fiber it's unnatural and can spike your blood sugar. blending on the other hand is ok as long as you're blending whole fruits or veggies. eating whole fruit is even better! maybe eat something soft like ripe bananas.

oh and don't drink with your meals, it hinders digestion.

:)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

This morning as I left for work with a massive vibrantly green smoothie in my hand I pondered our society and the stigma towards green juices and smoothies and I suddenly felt elation at setting myself apart from that. It's really a great feeling.

• I know EXACTLY how you feel. A lot of my friends just don't really understand and some actually think I'm completely weird, so it's nice to bring something that's super appetizing. I also understand having a sensitive digestion and discomfort, so I am always looking for new ways to aide it and accommodate my stomach as much as possible after a meal. I've found that ginger/lemon/honey tea works incredibly and is tasty. I usually drink it right after a meal. Could you possibly bring a thermos of this for lunch?

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I think my friends like the idea of raw but can't seem to commit to it themselves. They think I'm crazy anyway though since not only am I raw but I garden in my front yard and do barefoot running. Amongst other things.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I agree with paige that ginger and lemon are good for settling the stomach and aiding digestion, and honey won't ferment and cause bloating like other sweet stuff.