Planning to go Raw have questions

Should I watch my calories I am overweight and hope to lose weight while I embark on a healthier lifesytle?

Also does anyone have an sample menus, like something that shows what the typical Raw Vegan would eat in the span of a day or week? I’m trying to get an idea of what to eat.

Comments

• No. I found even me eating a very high calorie raw diet that I still lost all the excess fat I didnt need.

I cant help you witht the menu much, I eat very high in calories.

But normally what I do when I am at a loss for foods I get on this and other raw websites and look at the recipes and something will usually hit me if I listen to what my body needs, and its exactly what I want.

Just try out lots of foods! There are variations on thsi website for almost everything you can imagine!

• I guess it seems that alot of the foods are made with nuts and all I hear that that you should only have a handfull a day, very confusing.

Also it seems that going raw is very expensive I bought a very small bag of dates for like 5.00 I dont’ even think it was a pound. But even thought it’s expensive I’m sure the health benefits outweight the cost.

Any ideas on how to lower the cost a tad?

• There are two types of meals you can eat: (1) just regular raw fruits / veggies or (2) “gourmet” meals. For just regular fruits and veggies, there are no recipes – you just pick them up and eat them. The recipes are for the gourmet meals. The point is that most people do not eat that much gourmet meals (because of all the time it takes to prepare them). But the recipes are only for the gourmet. There are really no recipes for raw produce. “Take an apple and eat it” – there is your recipe.

Different people emphasize different products in their diet. Some people emphasize fruit. Others eat low fruit and high veg. You will have to find your balance. Fruits have calories, veggies don’t. Either way, eat low / no nuts. It is uncertain how raw they are, they are fatty, and expensive too.

Raw is more expensive than cooked, but it does not have to be very expensive. At the beginning, you will be experimenting / trying different things, so it will cost money. You do not need to buy “exotic” foods. Just regular fruits and vegetables will do. Nuts and dried fruits, like dates, are also expensive, and I would consider them to be at least semi-exotic. Plus, it’s uncertain how raw they are. So have them occasionally. Instead, try bananas, pears, apples, peaches, berries, plums, oranges, lemons, melons, etc. For less sweet options, try all sorts of greens, avocados (limit them since they are fatty), tomatoes, cukes, sweet potatoes (very good!), carrots, mushrooms, etc.

• Yeah, try and keep it to mostly fruits/veggies and you can save a bundle. Easiest thing I have found is to have fruit smoothies for breakfast and either green smoothies or salad for lunch. Both of these meals are inexpensive to make and very easy allowing you to do something fancy at dinner.

• Hi Docsharp. I agree with what the gentlemen have suggested above. To curb cravings I have a recipe for you from a book I just purchased called Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine by Dr. Cousens.

He calls it Imposter Caramel Corn:

2 cups slivered almonds .5 cup pumpkin seeds (soaked) .5 cup raisin soak water 1 tbs sea salt (celtic if possible)

Mix it all together and spread on dehydrator or cookie sheet. He says to “cook” at 145 degrees for 2 hours and then then at 115 for 8 hours.

You need an oven that goes to a low temp for this or a dehydrator.

This is a perfect example of a nutrient dense snack. You won’t be hungry after you eat this!

Dr. Cousens has quite a few recipes that use a 145 temp for a short period of time. Then go to a lower temp. He has done a lot of research on the subject so I trust his decision in this area.

Another easy idea would be to make little sandwiches from thin slices of apple or pear and put some almond butter between the two. It’s better to make your own nut butter from raw nuts. Put blue berries in there for a “raw” pseudo peanut butter and jelly.

Good luck- there are a lot of fantastic people here to help you along!

• writeeternity, the applebread sandwich sounds like a good snack!

• If you are concerned about calories, fat and protein enter your food into fitday.com and it will help you see what you are eating. I have lost 23 lbs since 6/25/07 and here is what I eat.

Breakfast – smoothie with romaine or baby spinach, 4 dates, 2 bananas, hand full of blueberries, distilled water, crushed ice, sometimes protein powder and always greenfood powder.

Lunch – fruit (lots of it) or nori rolls (nori sheets, cucumbers and avocado).

Snacks – fruit or veges.

Dinner – huge salad.

Hope this helps.

• Thank you all for the replies I just love this place and this way of eating. I’m going grocery shopping now. I had a book on Raw but it used so many nuts I took it back and found a better book. Cant wait to make raw meals… I’ll be making one tonight.

Thank you all for the ideas you’ve given and thanks Stacie for listing what you eat on a daily basis.. all of this helps and I’ll be trying that caramel corn reciepe.

Tan