Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Scared

Hi everyone,

I've been on a high raw diet, eating mainly vegetables and fruits, for about 5 months or so and I've lost too much weight and don't know how to gain it all back! I'm 5'4'' and started the diet at 100 lb and now I am down to 90! I feel great, it's just the way I look that scares me. Has anyone else had this problem? What do I do? Please, anything would help!

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

sweetie! Eat more high fat raw foods! Perhaps exercise would help as well in building muscle. Do you eat alot of greens? Can you tell us what your typical daily diet is?

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I too am having similar problems, even though i have been eating more and more i keep dropping weight. I would love to hear others thoughts on this topic. :)

• Hey Troubles-

I know that fatty fruits like avocado may help, but I heard that too much consumption can be detrimental.

A typical day looks like this:

Breakfast: Green juice with 4 cups kale, 2 cups spinach, 4 sticks celery, 1 apple, 1/2 cucumber

Lunch: bowl of fruit which consists of a handful of strawberries, 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 peach

Snack: handful of kumquats

Dinner: Salad with baby mix, onion sprouts, cucumbers, goji berries, with orange juice.

Snack: Banana

I'm really not a calorie counter so I really don't know how much I'm getting. This is all fairly new to me so please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

my estimation, without counting exactly is that you are getting about 600 calories a day, that would explain it. what about a few seeds, maybe part of an avocado. The fats found in avocadoes are beneficial. No matter what, 600 calories are way too few.

• valgal123valgal123 Raw Newbie

I have the same problem and have asked for adivice on this site. you can read here http://goneraw.com/forum/come-people-cant-i-gain-weight-please

This week I have made a lot of progress by having my mom look at what i was eating and tritiquing it. I now see how little I was eating and have really uped it. I eat every 2-3 hours no matter how ill i feel /9i got gut issues) I have been making fatty pies that I have a little bit of everyday, plus a whole avocado. Another thing that helps with gaining the weight is somethingn I'm sure everyone on here does not agree with, its drink raw cows milk from a local farmer. I don't agree with it ethier, but I would almost say it felt as if it was a matter of life and death, it really helped me put on weight. Here is what I eat everyday: Breakfast, 3/4c buckwheat granola with 1 c milk (before my mom started taking a look at what i was eating it was a 1/4c) a big green smoothie with 4 servings of greens and 2 fruit and a handfull of ground flax. Snack 1/4c nuts. lunch a huge salad that i put in the food processorso it looks small amall easy to diegest (in the salad I put 1/2 avocado, other veggies, a generous amount of olive oil) an apple, and 2 ani phyos donut holes. Snack is usually 2 small bananas with some fat, ethier milk or a nut butter, lately its a coconut chocolate butter. Dinner is another salad, and a slice of raw pie. Snack lots of fruit. Another snack ethier more fruit, nuts or milk., depending on how many nuts i've had. As you can see I'm eating a lot of food. I never though in a million years that I would be eating this much and this much fat! But hopefully i won't need to eat this way for ever. By the way I'm 19, 5' 87 lbs, in the first week of eating this way I gained 2 pounds, my family and doctor are very happy. I hope this helps, if you don't want to drink raw milk try nut milk, oat milk or something.

• valgal-

thank you so much. I have an idea of how much an average girl should be eating. Before going raw, I used to indulge in milk chocolate and fries and pizza! Salty and greasy everyday; which resulted in acne covered face and body, but I still could not gain any weight! Occasionaly, I'll have a high calorie fruit like cherimoya (in season and so yummy!), pineapple, and mango but get worried about the amount of sugar they have. I tried making several fatty raw dishes with cahsews and pinenuts but they never sit well in my stomach. I've also made dehydrated crackers and breads, only a few times.. just because I feel like I don't have enough time. I will do this more often so that I have a lot of snacks on hand. I haven't tried making nutmilk either, but I will do that too sometime this week. Avocados and olive oil worries me a bit because I have problems with acne and am worried that they might spur up again!

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

hi sheik don't worry about the sugar in fruit unless you are eating too much fat. everything that you eat has to be broken down into a simple sugar to give your body energy. if you eat ripe fruit, the fructose is predigested and supplies you with the energy your body needs. you don't need to eat higher fat foods to gain weight either, this can cause problems if you're eating fruit. it is possible to gain weight by eating more calories of healthy foods. i do not recommend consuming dairy or any type of junk food to gain weight or you will have to start all over with your detox. it's very normal to lose weight while you're detoxing. toxins are stored in fat, muscle, tissue, etc. so when you're detoxing weight loss is bound to happen. when you're done your body will go back to a normal weight. also, loss of appetite is normal too while you're detoxing. your body knows that it needs more energy for cleansing, so if you don't eat as much your body will be able to revert the energy from digestion to cleansing. don't make yourself eat if you are not hungry and don't eat past fullness. just listen to your body. once you're done cleansing you will get a full appetite back and you will get back to an ideal weight.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

i would definitely recommend checking out the 80/10/10 diet by dr. graham. people who follow this diet can be found at 30bananasaday.com. High fruit low fat is in my opinion, the way to go :)

• J AJ A

Wow, no wonder you're losing weight :0 I eat like 5-6 times more than you do, I'm a 6' tall guy, around 140 lbs, don't get huge amounts of excercise. I can easily consume 10 banans in a row, or one big water melon, or 4-5 mangos... Yesterday I ate 2 big water melons, around 10 bananas, two oranges, one pear, one mango and 2 pak choys plus some stinging nettles. I could have eaten another 10 bananas but I felt I could have a bit less than I feel like having... Matt Monarch says it makes your mind clearer ;)

Okay, I have a problem with not getting enough calories but I just added an avocado, more bananas and other higher calorie fruit like mangoes as well as making my salads twice the size. It's really helped.

An average woman should consume at least 1200 calories. I average about 800 a day now, but I'm really really working on it. Eat more fruit and maybe big green smoothies?

trouble do you have any suggestions on the maxium amount of avocados one could eat without going overboard? thanks :)

• Thanks everyone for being so helpful!

I do agree with Kelly that I should not be forcing myself to eat when I'm full. I don't plan on going back to dairy with all the pimples I got from its oils! I'm going to incorporate some avocados and more bananas into my diet as suggested and see what happens. Right now, maybe cus I'm detoxing, it feels good to undereat. I feel like I'm cleansing all the toxins out! All of my cysts have finally gone away and I'm so happy that I'm not a pizza face anymore! Hopefully I'll get my appetite back soon. My friends and family have expressed their concerns and even tried talking me out of this because they think that I have an eating disorder! So I guess that's why I wanted to gain weight quickly. I'm just going to listen to my body and let things flow at its own pace. Thanks everyone!

Sheik i know what you mean - ive gotten comments from alot of people thinking i have anorexia, so its getting really frustrating when they push cooked processed foods when i simply have no desire than to put whole raw things into my body. My mom made me an appointment with a nutritionist so i am hoping that she will be understanding of my choice to go on a raw vegan diet.

mikfizzle-I usually have only one avocado per day or every other day. Not sure how much is too much but listen to what your body is saying. I eat them when I crave something richer than greens.

I usually think in meals while eating and before I would make a normal sized salad and eat it and when I was done I'd be full. Now I make a huge salad and it just takes longer to eat but when I'm done I'm full! I think it's a psychological thing for me.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

It looks to me like you could use some more protein (I know, the 811ers will argue). Some milk made from soaked nuts or seeds would be easy to digest and give you extra fats and protein.

Otherwise, it is normal to lose weight when starting on raw, and if you feel you need to eat just a little for now, it's probably fine. Sweet fruits can increase your appetite if you feel like you're eating too little for too long.

I hate to say it, but if you've _always_ had problems gaining weight, could it be parasites? Tapeworms are often implicated in the inability to gain weight. There are great herbal remedies for parasites if you think this might be a problem for you.

• ambiguous- you bring up such an interesting point. I certainly hope that I don't have any tapeworms! I would think that I'd know if I did. I remember before trying the raw diet, I'd gorge on pastas and breads and fried foods just because.... I never had any weight issues but my acne was awful! I'm guessing I have fast metabolism? Should I go see a doctor about this?

I tried making some changes today and had 2 bananas, a pound of strawberries, young coconut meat and its water for breakfast today.

For lunch I had vegetable wraps - 5 collard greens, baby mix, basil/cilantro with olive oil, acv, and agave. I also had a whole avocado and an orange.

Right now, I feel extrememly full but I'm hoping this will help me gain my weight back.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I feel ya. It's tough for me to maintain weight even at 60-70% raw - and that includes higher fat, "gourmet" dishes. I mentioned elsewhere that the main things I haven't tried are muscle-building exercises, and adding more caloric fruits. Working out might also increase your appetite, so that could be good too.

• Hey Sheik,

I would say if you added hemp protein powder to a smoothie and a bit more avocado and nuts/seeds to your other meals, you would be able to maintain your weight. You could eat more in the beginning to gain weight and then just taper off until you are at a weight you like. I would keep the meals small & semi-frequent because you don't want to overburden your liver with huge meals. You are doing great!

I just talked to a great Raw nutrition counselor and she helped a lot. You can call and talk to her and see if she can help you too. Her partner is a colon hydrotherapist and they own a Raw health business in Mass. Her name is Anna, here is her number and web address: http://www.revitalive.com/ & (978) 462-1488. Hope that helps:)

Nicole