Can Artichokes Be Eaten Raw?

I love artichokes but they are always so rock hard unless you steam them forever or bake 'em... Does anyone know how to make them in a raw form??

Comments

• Ooh I would like to know this too! I saw some today at my co-op but couldn't think what to do with the petals. I'm guessing the heart is just as yummy raw as steamed.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I've seen regular artichokes in raw recipes but it didn't give instructions on how to find or cut out the usable (raw) parts.

I've also seen Jerusalem artichokes in recipes, but those are easier to peel/find the edible part.

• I found this blog thread on eating raw artichokes: http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/eating-a-raw-artichoke/

It seems most people eat them raw when they're young and fresh-picked, or they eat certain varieties available in Europe, but not so much in the States (not sure about the rest of the world).

Often when I see a raw recipe that calls for artichokes, they suggest the frozen ones which are technically cooked. Same with corn (and sometimes peas) -- people use frozen corn in raw recipes all the time and that's cooked too. I don't get it.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I can't think of a good reason to use cooked/frozen corn! Maybe if you can't get organic fresh and you want organic as opposed to raw? Yeah, that's probably a good reason. :)

I'd just rather not eat the artichoke if it's not feasible. If someone tries it, let us know! It is hard to get stuff fresh here. The food miles are horendous. I am seeing some smaller grocers get local items, which is nice, in addition to the health-food stores do sometimes as well.