Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Alternative to Olive Oil?

Hi guys! I frequently use a delicious recipe with 1/2 a cup of olive oil. Since I consume the whole recipe in about 2 days, that amount of olive oil is too much for my liking. It doesn't feel healthy just thinking I'm consuming THAT MUCH olive oil a week. Is there a healthier alternative to olive oil with less calories, perhaps? I love this recipe and I simply cannot part from it! Suggestions?

Comments

• Sometimes I'll use Flax oil, but it's still oil. Whenever I try a recipe, I start with about a half to a thrid of the oil. Usually it's no problem, and the richness and flavor are still there.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Dr. Mercola and others tout the fact the eating coconut oil will not cause you to increase in body size unless you are underweight... At some point in time there was a surplus of coconut oil, so pig farms fed it to the pigs to increase their weight... Problem was, it didn't cause the pigs to gain weight...

Dr. Mercola says, we as adults should consume 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil a day... I admit I tried it and I did NOT gain weight but I didn't loose any either which I was hoping to do... He says if you are heavy or underweight, the coconut oil will balance you into a normal size... It was my experience that if over weight you will maintain, not loose...

So if I were you, I would try it in the recipe that you enjoy and not worry about the amount of oil...

I buy raw organic coconut oil from www.iherb.com and have a $5 discount code for first time customers, on my profile you may use... Hope you enjoy your favorite recipe with the c-oil... smile

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I would just put 1/4 or 1/3 of the olive oil called for.

• Hi chattanoog- I don't know what the recipe is, but could you substitute some avocado and/or mashed banana for some of the oil? That would add fiber and displace some of the fat.

• i was just going to say what osoniye was with the avocado. I dont know if its any less in calories, but it's an awesome and tasty alternative if you just blend it up with the other ingredients. It makes much more a creamy dressing.

• And do tell us what this yummy recipe is... :)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

What's wrong with olive oil? Good extra virgin cold pressed olive oil shouldn't be avoided. Its a great way to get monosaturated fats and shouldn't cause you to gain weight.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I don't think she was inferring there was something wrong with it, just that she didn't want to eat 1/4 c. per day, as she consumed the recipe within 2 days and it had 1/2 c. of oil in it.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I agree that it's not healthy to consume that much olive oil. Olive oil is 100% fat, and not found in nature. There is nothing in nature that is 100% fat. I never ever use olive oil, and generally try to keep my fat intake on the low side.

• I'll certainly try the coconut oil or substitute it with the avacado, maybe. Yumm..

The yummy recipe is the spinach dip that's found on the homepage on goneraw. YUM, you guys--TRY it!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Bear in mind that the oil adds moisture in addition to fat. If you cut down the quantity of oil, or sub avocado, you may have to add a little water to get the consistency/smoothness right.