Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Frustration

This is my dilemma... I have just "celebrated" being one year 100% raw. I say "celebrated" because while I am totally committed to my raw food lifestyle, I am yet to see any of the real benefits of eating this way. After reading many books by well-known gurus and talking to people at potlucks etc, I was inspired by their stories of dramatic health improvements, and boost in energy, but most especially by their deeper spiritual awakening within themselves , and their connection to others and nature. Alas, I feel like I've been left out in the cold!

While yes I lost some weight, that was not on my list of of priorities. The only other benefits I have experienced is softer skin on my face and more muscle tone. I eat fairly clean, fruit for breakfast, green smoothie for lunch, plus salad and some nuts, then vegie juice and salad and fruit again at dinner. I rarely do the gourmet thing and I run about 15 miles a week. I am feeling disillusioned! Not in a way to make me doubt the sanity of eating raw - but in a way that makes me doubt myself!

My energy levels are no different to when I ate SAD, I need the same amount of sleep, I rarely wake up feeling refreshed, I have not experienced the "clarity" everyone talks about, my intuition is no stronger, my meditation is no richer. I have caught three colds from my children in the past year and have had at least as many cold sores. Before I went raw I had no known illnesses or health or weight issues - people have told me this is why I feel no different - but this just doesn't seem right.

I have also done juice fasts and one ten day juice fast which included 3 days of a water fast and I ended up looking like a POW with hardly enough energy to get out of a chair!

Am I the only one who feels this way or do some of the benefits get exaggerated sometimes or am I missing something important? If anyone has any ideas - I would truly love to hear them. I really believe this is the way we were meant to eat and want to help people discover this lifestyle but I just can't authentically "spread the word" so to speak until I experience it for myself.....

Comments

• I think everyone experiences diet/lifestyle changes differently, and in general, people are more likely to gush about their positive experiences (or complain about the negative) than the neutral ones. So, for every person who experienced a massive physical or psychological overhaul when they started eating raw, there's probably another person who didn't notice that much of a difference, but the latter person is less likely to talk about it.

Also, the healthiness pre-raw idea is probably very true. If you were healthy and had no noticable health issues then you have less of a contrast there to make it obvious that there are changes taking place.

I guess one thing I'm wondering, though, is how varied is the food you eat? You seem to favour salad, smoothies, juice... do you make the same smoothie or salad every day? Cos, maybe there's something your body is missing. I don't think it's a bad idea to supplement with a multivitamin, ideally with iron, for a period and see if you notice any difference. I know many people would say you should have no need for supplements if you're raw, but that's only true on the assumption that your diet provides the entire range of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, and such necessary for a healthy body.

Another thought I have is how's your sleep? Do you get good solid deep sleep with full cycles on a comfortable but supportive bed/surface? I know some advocate as firm a surface for sleep as possible, negating beds altogether. I think it's a matter of personal preference, but if something is preventing you from restful sleep, that could definitely affect your psychological state like, clarity, energy, connection to universe and such.

That said, the worst thing you can do is get down on yourself about it.

Your body is a brilliant and beautiful creation that does things its very own way, and perhaps this is a test of patience, or commitment, or perseverance for you. No matter what, I admire your dedication to keep at it even when you aren't seeing 'results'. I hope your patience will be rewarded with what you seek, even if it is not immediate.

• Hi gardenmama- I agree with a lot of what kosmoxaos said, and I would add that maybe for you the raw lifestyle will prevent health problems that you will never even realize could have been there. Your personal info is quite limited, so I don't know your age, but I was just thinking you might not have been "cured" of this or that, but you might prevent some awful medical condition when you get older. Hang in there!

• Thank you both for the moral support. Kosmoxaos I think it's a good point you make about it being a test of patience - a good reminder. Osoniye - I am 37 years old. Perhaps I should just drop all expectations about what I should be feeling and experiencing. It's hard though when you constantly hear how amazing everybody else seems to be feeling. I am wondering if I have some sort of blockage of the emotional, pyschological kind - in fact I probably have many and need to explore more therapies and do more spiritual work than just meditation - but to know which way to go when there are a plethora of healing modalities is overwhelming to say the least. I guess I should just pick one and see how it fits. What does anyone recommend and if you know of any good practitioners in Fort Worth, TX?

• Hi gardenmama. If I may make a recommendation, check out Network Spinal Analysis (NSA). It's a very gentle appoach to complete wellness - not necessarily curing a disease or pathology - and may be part of the body/mind/spirit connection you seem to be searching for. There is a website, www.wiseworldseminars that talks about it and a link to find a practitioner. I checked Texas and there appears to be someone in Arlington. I've experienced NSA care and it has made a big difference in my life. I didn't have any ailments at the time, but was looking for something to help me feel more whole, healthy and find clarity about where my life was going. I don't want to gush on and on about my experience and potentially set expectations for you - sounds like you've discovered enough disappointment lately - but it is something that I feel is worth checking into. Kosmoxaos and Osoniye have great input, especially about prevention of health issues down the road. Personally, I haven't experienced dramatic life altering chenges either. I certainly feel healthier, lost a little excess weight and have no desire - nor physical tolerance - to eat any other way, but I didn't have major issues to begin with. At least, not that I was aware of. So, stay true to what you feel is best for your body, don't judge your experience against others and check out NSA if it feels like the right thing. I wish you the best! Namaste.

• mdcmdc

Well done, gardenmama! Congratulations on your one year birthday! A lot of people don't make it past their breakfast smoothie. :)

Seriously, I can relate to what you're saying. I, too, have never felt more bliss, more energy, more serenity, enhanced immunity, etc. while eating vegan or raw. And I never feel immediately worse when eating SAD (except for an annoying tendency to break out in fat.) I think that's why I have waffled back and forth through the years, giving into what's socially easy instead of holding out for what's more difficult, but better.

While I sense your disappointment, your question of is there nothing more spectacular to be had, I want to ask you, are you happy? Do you feel a quiet joy (like when your kids are asleep :) ) in your day-to-day doings? You don't need thunder and lightening and fireworks to know you're in the right path. Contentment and joy speak just as eloquently, and if you have that, you're "there." You sound like you are embracing a really healthy lifestyle, despite what is probably a really hectic pace of keeping up with your children. I think your commitment speaks volumes of your "qualifications" to spread the word.

Best wishes & happy birthday!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

It sort of seems like you're waiting for something to *happen* to you.

While I consider it impossible to be spiritually awake and still consume violence through one's diet, I don't think that diet alone is going to cause enlightenment and wisdom. It may make it easier to find authentic clarity, but you still have to do the hard work if you want a mature spiritual life.

I tend to agree that you were blessed with a strong constitution and good health so you haven't experienced any wondrous physical differences.

• mdc- LOL that "annoying tendency to break out in fat"- I sooooo have that too, on SAD!!!!!!

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

Gardenmama, I say look to those things not right in your life as your clue to where to go. Sleep isn't restful - that is either your physical surroundings, your emotional state, or something with your body cycles... I think that you mentioning emotional concerns is paramount. Emotional blockages trapped within your body can illicit all of the things you spoke of. Keep doing raw, address the emotional body first. I personally have had the most breakthroughs with Emotional Freedom Technique -EFT. I liked EFT best because it got to the heart of the matter very quickly rather than traditional therapy which was helpful, but took way way longer to get to the meat of any issue. I'm a poor kid so alot of other modalities I would love to try out I haven't been able to yet. Something that can lift out any emotional blockages. Other thoughts, reiki, massage. I have heard of Theta healing, and am getting a book on it (healing directly from the God source) but don't know what that's gonna be like. You also might need to do the master cleanse for a full body cleanse. I promise, it is very easy to sustain with energy for 10 full days, and can rid your body of both emotional and physical habits. It's like the habit slate cleaning magic pill. Oh one last thought, go to some holistic places in town and ask around for a great healer. Or just pay attention, and what you need might just be knocking right on your door.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Do you think you could be allergic to something you eat daily? That can mess up digestion, toxin removal etc...

• Thank you all so much for your insights. You've all given me something to reflect on. I love this forum for the wisdom people share and the variety of helpful suggestions. I think I will start a journal - I have been very lazy about doing this and perhaps it will help me to be more aware of the subtleties!

By the way - does anyone know what the member Casustelefoncu is all about? I went to the sites he/she listed thinking it was some healing modality and it was a site for espionage gadgets!?! Maybe that's the answer - I need to spy on myself... LOL

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I think all the links above are spam. Disregard.

But to carry on the "spy on yourself" metaphor, yeah, self-inquiry, self-discovery. Journal writing is a great exercise. Try a new meditation technique if you're in a rut with your current practice. Find a way to be of service. Etc. Move onward and upward!