Coconut oil gone bad?

When I purchased my coconut oil last fall, I put it in the fridge because I was worried it would go rancid. (I live in a very hot place and I keep my nuts in the freezer and olive oil in the fridge.) I took it out shortly afterwards because I discovered it turns hard as a rock in the fridge and you can't even chip it out of the jar! Today I noticed that it appears to have separated into light oil around the outside and a core of heavy "stuff" in the middle. It has been really hot here lately. Do you think it has gone bad? Or is it supposed to do that? Thanks!

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

coconut oil will go liquid, and clear, at over 76 degrees. It's hot here too, I have *no* air-conditioning, and I do *not* keep mine in the fridge. In the summer, it will go completely liquid, and harden up when the weather is cool again. No problem.

I keep raw nuts in the fridge; they should be kept cool, yes. Coconut oil is fine on the shelf.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

It's fine on the shelf but do beware that it does go rancid after some time. I've had two jars go bad before I could finish them all the way! But I was using those particular bottles in the shower so it was taking me longer to use them than if I was eating them. ha

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Wow, that would be upsetting, considering how expensive it is!

tell me ab out it. Not that much was ruined though. I had been using it for a while.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

"But I was using those particular bottles in the shower so it was taking me longer to use them than if I was eating them."

Bathrooms are typically fairly damp. The moisture/humidity of the room from showers and such could have been part of the problem, if you were storing the jar in the bathroom. Maybe.

I am curious, what happens when they "go bad"? Since I have yet to encounter this (and I have had a 54 oz jar last well over a year), and since I can not smell (congenital anosmia) I am wondering what happens? Since you were not eating this particular jar, I'm guessing that it had a smell? My bf uses the coconut oil here, too, and he can smell-- he's mentioned how good it smells a few times- so I am sure he would notice. But is that what happens- a bad smell? or what? Thanks.

Well when it goes rancid it smells awful. Really awful. Hard to describe but it's bad bad. I think your bf would notice if yours got bad.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I'm curious if that's across the board with all types of coconut oil, or if some types have a longer shelf life than others. Ie: some are cold pressed, some are centrifuged, some expeller pressed, some are fermented, etc. Does anyone here know?

I did notice something since my post above where I mention that it goes "clear" when melted. The Nutiva brand I had last summer was indeed clear, until the temps were low enough for it to harden back up, and go white again. But, this year I have Tropical Traditions Gold Label (which is fermented), and it has melted completely right now, and it is white! not clear. Somewhat pearl colored. Pretty, ...but I wonder if it has a lesser shelf life-- it obviously has more particulate in it.

• mdcmdc

I have Nutiva brand. It's not clear, but when I shake it up, it's milky, with particulates. It could be because when it was refrigerated, it was solid white. Still smells like coconut, though. Hmm. To eat or not to eat? So expensive. But, I've had food poisoning before and I'd rather not repeat the experience. When in doubt... alas.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I don't think it's bad! Particularly if it does not smell bad! Call Nutiva!! Or email them. They were super nice to me a year ago when I had questions.

(800) - 993 - 4367

General Information & Customer Feedback email: help1@nutiva.com