Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

feeling cold and tired while eating lot's of raw - are there some solutions?

Hello everybody,

Me and my friend are vegans since years, but we eat at least 50% of steamed food, a few times we tried to eat more raw; but the effect is feeling terribly cold and tired, is it normal or should it passe with time.

We live in France so sorry for my poor english

Thank you for your opinions and experiences

Lot's of sun for all

Karolina & Abel

Comments

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

Feeling tired at first is very normal, could be just a part of your bodies detoxing themself, I was also a vegan for 4 years before going raw and for the first 2 months I had rashes, headaches, tiredness and all sort of things, you can find tons of info on detoxing here on these forums, I never experienced the cold feeling but I know many people do, I even think I saw a pretty big thread here on the forums on this subject.. just search around.

GulayG1rl
  • thank you very much

• Yes, I am curious too as to what they are eating when they try to go raw and get so cold?

• Example from yesterday

8h30 1/2 cup carotte/herb juice

9h30 mug of sesam/cocnut milk with honey, a bit of sesam/flax/carotte/orange cake

12h fruit (orange)

13h green salad with tomato cream (tomatoes, herbs, curry, flax meal, a bit ofsesame butter) + soy sauce and olive oil, a bit reheated zucchinis with sprouted cheek peas for Abel a bowl of cuscus (he loves that) and sort of 1tbspoon for me cocnut/chocolate cream with almond powder

17h orange and few almonds

19h salade with dried tomatoes and olives, buckwheat, ognions and curry pizza with turnip slices, olives and ketchup (yellow tomatoes with sunflower seeds cumin pepper olive oil and chocolate cake - almonds orange and honey a bit of coconut and cacao for drink a few cups of green tea during the day

we eat slightly cooked cereals ( mostly rice few times per week and a bit of home made sourdough bread)

• and there is not a lot of fruit here at the moment, I take sometimes non organic, I love fruit!!! some apricots starts now We regularly take some goji berries like 5-10 per day...

thank you all

• I forgot to tell that it was a rich food for me; a lot of sweet, anyway what do you think? about all that?

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

It looks like your diet is processed/higher fat. You would benefit from doing primarily fruit. I am always warm on fruit.

You could also try getting up and moving around, jumping jacks! :)

Your English is great.

• Hi Karolina,

This happened to me as well, and even though I don't notice it so much anymore (I suppose I got used to it), I do notice that I generally tend to have a lower body temperature than most other people. In order to be comfortable I'll often need to wear more sweaters, layers, etc, than my friends.

It's possible that this is happening because your body isn't expending as much energy on digestion as it used to on more ordinary, harder-to-digest foods. For example, an orange will enter and leave the digestive tract MUCH more easily and quickly than, say, a financier.

I'm convinced this is why I'm colder than the average bear, although this explanation wouldn't be of much use to lulushka since fruits are more quickly digested than fats....

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

Though I agree that a higher fruit diet would benefit you more, don't feel to hard on yourself, many people(and so did I) start out with lots of fat to replace that heaviness we were used to with a cooked diet, but I think that for most people it fades with time, I'm now 8 months into 100% raw and as time passes by it seems I move more and more from high fat to high fruit.

• probably I need calories thats why it seems to be a lot of fat.

I m very slim :) It's more sunny now here so it will be easier to experiment thank you a lot you all and once in france drop in to our lovely village www.etelmassage.e-monsite.com - our little space to do mervelous things :)

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

i find this topic really interesting because went i went raw around december i became very chilled. it was horrible i was always cold and wore hoodies and sweaters all the time. now that its summer its much much nicer but im wondering why i was so cold all of the time. is this something that could be fixed by the time this winter comes around? I ate a whole heck of alot of fruit during those months too...

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Hmm... lulushka i think you might be right. I always eat and eat until im full. Im actually trying to get my stomach to expand more so i can eat more tasty goodies hehe :) i have read about people using spices like cayenne to get warm. just out of curiosity why do you not reccomend using spices like cayenne? do you think dried oraganic herbs are okay to use for flavor purposes? thanks so much :)

• I do agree with garlic and ognions, it's very difficult to digest and it stimulates metabolism too much, it works too quickly, it's good to use it with meet but not really in vegan diet. Sivananda school of Yoga talk a lot about that.

Fresh ginger is a very nice non offensive substitute of garlic

• dogsuponhotcatsdogsuponhotcats Raw Newbie

I know I'm going against the grain here (pun not intented), but I find that I experience the opposite. That is, I stay very warm if I eat LOTS of fats, but I freeze on a diet of predominantely fruit. Either way, I have a healthy appetite, so I consume from 2500-3000 kcals daily. (I'm 1.77m & 58 kg or 5'10 and around 128 lbs) I don't know your height, but see if you consume a lot less than that...I think fat is fantastic. lol

I'm une femme by the way. ;-)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

dogs, i feel the same as you. i was always very cold when i ate too little fat. not that i have a little more, i am warmer.

• I'm 1,58m and 40kg,

Me too I feel better when I have some more fat and cereal, too much fruit fills in my stomac and I can't put much more after. I don't think having 2000calories per day, but I'v never eaten really a lot of calories, I think.. I feel also better having some root vegetables, carrotes beetroots etc, well mixed to digest easier, if not too much gases.

lot's of kisses for youy all

I have a lots of fun talking with you

It gives a feeling of wellbeing, there are some people like you :)

• One thing that seems to help a lot of people feel good when eating raw is getting enough minerals and amino acids, and that means eating a variety of leafy green vegetables. What kinds of vegetables are in your salads? Lettuces (laitue), spinach (épinards), kale (chou frisé), arugula (roquette)?

I know I feel more energetic -- less cold, less tired -- when I eat a variety of greens and in BIG (think American portion sizes ^_^) quantities with a good dressing.

Also, I personally find my raw food consumption just naturally goes up in the summer. In the northern USA and Europe, this makes sense if you are eating locally-grown food. Our ancestors just couldn't have all the fresh fruit and vegetables they wanted, all year.

In winter, I'll eat cooked root vegetables, vegetable soup, and beans or whole grains sometimes, along with warming spices (because I am a spicy food fanatic :)) and my raw food consumption goes down closer to 60%. In spring and summer, it feels right to eat as much raw as possible because it's all available in farmers' markets, so some days I will eat 80-90% raw food.

So...eating raw is easier in summer. :)

And it's good to make changes in small steps -- no need to go from 50% raw to 80-90-100% raw all in one step. Your body needs to adjust, after all!

(Karolina, je voudrais ecrire en francais, parce que ton anglais est formidable alors que mon français est rouillé!)

• J AJ A

You know, I eat fruit and greens only (100 % raw), everything organic, and I eat a lot. Yesterday I had one whole watermelon, 6 mangos, 6 bananas and 2 quarts (litres) of green smoothie (fresh squeezed orange juice and about 1,5 pounds [700 grams] of green leaves). That's a bit over 3000 kcal and a pretty typical day for me. I try to vary the greens I eat and take the darkest I can get hold of. For sure, it's not easy to find lots of different kinds of greens but I eat maybe 10-15 different plants. I could harvest more in the wild but I guess I'm too lazy

But... I'm cold all the time! Before going raw I would never feeld cold (and I grew up real far north yet always enjoyed the cold) but would instead sweat a lot even at moderate temperatures. Now I'm cold all the time and it takes a lot higher temperatures before I sweat! Sure I've lost quite a bit of weight (170 lbs [77 kg] to 140 lbs [64 kg], I'm 6 feet [180 cm] tall) but still the change is exceptional. It's coolish here (64 F / 17 C) and I must wear a lot of clothes when I'm out. I'm not exactly tired all the time but definitely not bursting with energy. I sleep 8-9 hours a night and feel OK, not superbly energetic but not lethargic either.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I think everyone's different with this whole warm/cold issue as there does seem to be an even mix of people who keep warmer from a high fat diet and others on a high fuit/low fat.

Personally, I have been far colder since going (high) raw and have only found some relief now it's getting warmer (I live in the UK). My hands/feet are always cold and they never used to be this bad. I was fairly slim before going raw so although I haven't lost a huge amount of weight, I think over all I've lost enough for me to feel the cold much more. I've always felt happier in warmer climates so living in the UK is not exactly ideal for me!

• dogsuponhotcatsdogsuponhotcats Raw Newbie

By the way, you are so slim. I am so jealous! :-O

I probably need to not eat 900 calories worth of chocolate everyday (in addition to 3000 cals of raw foods)... it's like an addiction for me though... argh...

But you probably have a really fast metabolism any way. Damn genes and jeans.

• I'm practicing chinese medecine - acupuncture and since being a little girl i'm interested in dietetics. I love raw food, but according to many eastern medecins it's highly refreshing, J A I think you should absolutely have some miso, ginger and cereal, if not cooked at least warm... bananas are cold in nature,

that's what I practice is warm sesam or even better walnut milk with cinamon cardamom and honey - sesam and walnut have a tonifying action and releave (tonifie) yang (hot and activ) energy in kidney and stomac - try this...

Karina thank you so much, I eat green leaves, not as much as you, but I love it, before leaving in France I had a garden It was much easier, I hope that soon it will be possible to pay a house for us... ;) we work positive thinking programe :)

lot's of sun and energy for all

• Karolina, I live in France too (Paris) but I am originally from California. I was wondering where you do your shopping here as I find it really difficult to find a lot of the vegan ingredients that I'm used to back in the States. Especially I miss kale (chou frise), where can I find it??? And you mentioned sesame butter and almond milk, where do you buy these? Or do you make them yourself?

• Hi again! I was also wondering if you know of any schools in France where I can study culinary arts (cooking) but of the vegetarian variety..... I would really like to study food here, but I want to hold to my vegetarianism, which seems like a pretty hard thing to do in France.

Thanks! Bisous!

Chelsea