I need some suggestions on how to be more "Green!"

I am looking to improve myself and my environment and I was wondering what some of you guys do to be "greener." Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Being vegan is the number one thing we can do for the planet!

I've been obsessed with saving water lately. I try to reserve all the water from washing veggies so I can dump it in the garden. I haven't gotten around to getting a bucket for the shower, but it's on my list.

I'm happy I almost never use plastic bags anymore. I use the green bags for produce and I keep rinsing them out to reuse them.

Think twice before buying, and buy secondhand is an important step.

Compost, kill the lawn, use native plants.

Don't subscribe to magazines and get off the junk mail lists.

Use nontoxic cleaners, soaps, shampoos, etc.

Drip-dry laundry, use a "green" dry cleaner if needed.

Work from home/telecommute. Limit airplane trips.

For the more expensive ideas...drive a hybrid, install dual-paned windows, energy-efficient appliances, tankless water heater.

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

hi kmcr! glad to see you taking initiative! i put together a list of things you can do to reduce your impact on my blog adventuresofafrugivore.blogspot.com

:)

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

I second what Sausoria said above: "Being vegan is the number one thing we can do for the planet!"

I read somewhere that there is no such thing as an environmentalist who still eats meat. :-)

• J AJ A

Here's a few good ideas:

- Find a place to live where you don't need to travel (nice nature so you won't need "vacations", a place where you can grow your own food / buy from locals, work at home / at a walking / cycling distance)

- Eat local produce (meat from own animals on your farm actually causes less co2 than buying fruits from all over the world - not promoting meat here, just pointing out the fact that shipping produces a lot of co2)

I know eating local produce isn't easy. Where I live basically nothing grows from October till March so we've got 6 months with very little to eat. I confess, I buy A LOT of shipped produce, love all the organic fruit I get from my wholesaler and can't bear living without all of it but I want to be able to live on local produce only. If not now then in the future.

I found myself a place to live where I have beautiful surroundings thus no need to travel, I work from home and can walk to all the shops I need so I don't need a car. I have a bike but can get around without it, too, just walk everywhere. When I do travel I do so by train (I know, ain't much of an option in the USA but maybe in a few years...).

Travelling really is one thing we should do less. I think we travel so much because we aren't at peace where we live. I think it is worthwhile to take a real good look at your heart and ask yourself: is this a good place for me? Follow your heart - find a place where you will want to stay. Your heart will be ever so grateful, too ;-) Same concers jobs - if you must travel with your work, ask yourself if this really is what you want to do. If it isn't, find a job that doesn't require travelling - follow your heart. To take an example, I think Al Gore has done a fantastic job bringing the climate issue to the top questions but it feels so wrong to see him drive his expensive car and fly all over the world in An Inconvenient Truth. I think what we need above all is good examples... But unfortunately, in the meantime we also need at least a few people who can bring this topic to top news, even if it requires a lot of co2 emissions.

• Thanks for all of your input guys! I am keeping track of a lot of things in a journal and trying to make myself choose better options with out having to think about them. All the little things help!