Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hair Loss

I am curious to know if anyone on here has experienced any hair loss? My hair has always been thick and curly and still is - however i am noticing that more and more now I am losing alot of hair and it has me worried. Im not really sure what to do about it. I tried searching for previous posts on here but I didn't really find anything that was beneficial. Im wondering if I am just being paranoid or if its something like a detox effect. I would love to hear your thought/opinions/advice on this. Thanks

Comments

• Wow, that's really interesting. I've only been raw for 30 days, but one thing I have noticed is that my hair has become much thicker and the few strands of gray I did have have gone away completely. I'm hoping it stays this way.

How long have you been raw? Are you getting enough good oils and fats? Also, what kind of products are you using? I have naturally curly hair too and notice my hair is more dry and brittle when I use shampoo. I recently tried an all-natural conditioner and it just did not have the moisturizing quality that my hair is use to.

• Use coconut oil on your scalp. I lost about 70% of my hair due to hormonal imbalances and severe illness and have started growing it all back by using coconut oil on my scalp. Rub it in at night and shampoo out in the am, no conditioner necessary

• I have noticed that after going raw, commericial shampoo really affects my hair. My hair feels really dry and brittle after washing with shampoo. I've switched to an organic brand, and my hair feel 100% healthier. As for hair loss,drinking cucumber juice might help as cucumbers are packed with silica.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Right now I am using herbal essances shampoo and condtioner - which I have used for a long time. Ive tried using a shampoo and conditioner by Burts Bee's and that just made my hair texture totally weird so I stopped. I have thought about going no-poo but i dont want to mess up my hair more. (I am really paraniod about losing my hair and teeth!) I have been raw for about 5 months now and I know that I could be getting more fats but im working on that. (I eat avocados almost every single day, and use EVOO on a regular basis) I also have just started experimenting with soaking raw nuts/seeds.

I have heard about coconut oil - where do you buy your oil from stella, and do you have any brands that you reccomend?

http://lilearthmuffin.wordpress.com/

• Have you recently been under a lot of stress? That too can do it.

• I have always had thick hair. First going raw (and vegan) I started to notice my hair was getting thin, but now my hair is back at full force. I'm not sure if it was just detox or what- I do know that I was extremely unhealthy in the beginning of my raw days due to not knowing what to do.

I now follow natural hygiene (fruits and greens, rest, sunshine, pure water, etc) and have noticed my hair growing extremely well, along with my fingernails. Wish I could give you better advice!

I also BARELY use shampoo, I mean maybe once a month. And when I do, I use Dr. Bromners Castile Soap because I don't like using anything with glycerin, SLS or anything along those lines. Dr Bromners is true organic in my oppinion.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

An avocado per day, even without the olive oil that you have added, is plenty of fat.

Make sure you eat fruit and greens. Fruit and greens. Fruit and greens. All of the antioxidants and minerals you could ever need, packed by nature! It seems a lot of people forget that fruit and greens naturally have fat in them, not counting avocados and coconuts. I could eat cantalope, bananas, mangoes, and romaine all day and get 5% of calories from fat without oil, without avocado, without nuts and seeds, without coconuts.

• hey mik - My fave coconut oils are nutiva available at HF stores, and aloha nu available online. I also use it all over my body every day and have had some scars and bumps that were there 20+ yrs heal

i eat my fruit and greens everyday i cant get enough! :)

i havent been under any stress lately just busy with work but thats about it.

the only thing im not sure about is with switching to a soap like Dr. Bromners Castile Soap is that im not sure what it would be like cost wise. does it last a long time, because I know many of the products like this are super expensive and i dont have alot of extra cash to spend.

Stella - im glad to hear that coconut oil worked so well for you! Do you think it would make my hair oily looking or anything?

Thanks so much everyone for you help/advice!

• Oh, and ditto the natural shampoo, I used to use Herbal Essences too when my hair was coming out in clumps... Now I use Pure Life Soap Co. Chamomile Shampoo or just use Chamomile Tea with some lemon juice in it, both very gentle and soothing to my once tender scalp

• If you don't shampoo it out your hair can get greasy and you might go thru an adjustment (i'm pretty sure my scalp detox'd some stuff at first) but if it's oily you just shampoo again or even just rinse and rub with a towel. And Bronner's is very inexpensive, you can add a little to Cham Tea for a budget shampoo

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Seriously, stop shampooing. It could be the best thing you've ever done! I finally was able to do it and now if my hair gets greasy I just make a little mixture of baking soda and water and work it into my hair when it's dry. I work it in really good and then rinse it. Other than that I rinse my hair in a shower daily . I do the baking soda once a week.

My hair is thicker, more easy to 'do' and looks waaaay better. Also the eczema that was on the nape of my neck disappeared.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I'll have to second TJBs recommendation. Baking soda and a white vinegar rinse worked wonders for me. Haven't used shampoo or conditioner in 6 months. My hairdresser is impressed with the quality of my hair. She comments every time I get it cut, and is NOT the kind of person who would tell me what she thinks I want to hear.

TJB I haven't tried working the baking soda in while my hair is dry. Is there a specific reason you do it while your hair is dry instead of wet?

• If the hair your losing has a white tip on the end, ( root ) then it's not from hair products. The most common reason for hair loss ( female ) is a high glycemic diet ( raw or cooked ) and possibly some underlying candida issues. A low glycemic diet seems to stop the hair loss for all of my patients. Might be worth a try to see if it works.

Good Luck

Spirit, I just tried to look at your blog, and found that the link on your profile is not clickable. It works fine if I copy and paste. Don't know what the deal is. Maybe you need to add the http.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

mik, i noticed the coconut oil made my hair VERY greasy and disgusting. i couldn't get it out of my hair for 2 days, so i guess if you have nowhere to go, then try it haha

i do think the no-shampoo thing was beneficial. i did it for 4 months, and now my hair looks and feels healthier than its ever been. it has so much body and is really soft now. i've been using avalon organics shampoo. i don't really think your hair loss is product related though.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

emtpmom-I put the baking soda in some water and find it's far easier to work it in well with dry hair before my shower because once my hair is when I don't know where the baking soda has been or not. It's easier for me to be thorough.

Thanks everyone so far fo your advice.

Like I said before im really paraniod about my hair, and its worrying me alot.

I got blood work done and my doctors said all my vitamin levels were good.

Im wondering could it be some kind of defency in my diet somewhere?

Mikfizzle, could it be that you normally loose hair in the summer, but haven't noticed it before? Since going raw, I've been far more observant of what's happening with my body. Perhaps you're just paying more attention to what's happening as well.

I dont know, it just seems like im loosing alot. even for it being summer. Im just worried about it all falling out. im scared to even brush it/wash it and ive braided it and wrapped it in a scarf. i hope someone can give me some insight on this.

• I think switching to only drinking Fiji Water has helped my hair growth, possibly b/c it has silica in it. Expensive but way worth it. Hair loss is also connected to hormone levels. You could get those tested, but remember that it's only a picture of what they look like on that particular day at that particular hour. Maybe your hair is just going through a change, which everyone's is supposed to do every 7 yrs. Don't stress about it, it'll only make you lose more ;)

thanks stella - ill try to relax about it.

ive been hoping that my yoga would help but alas it hasnt.

• Hey Mikfizzle, we have an interesting raw magazine called 'Get Fresh' over here in the UK ( from the Fresh Network www.fresh-network.co.uk) but a lot of the articles are from people from the US, one of whom is Tonya Zavasta. She has said in one of her articles that hair loss is quite natural in the early days of going raw and then it comes back full force. I think it is in the summer 2007 edition - she says that at first you might lose some hair on a high raw diet as the body cleanses but then their should be new hair growth (check the temple area). The article was actually about how sea vegetables can cause amazing transformations with hair, so eat seaweed! Hope this helps, Tonya looks amazing for 51 years old, so I don't think she can be too far wrong.