Parasites???

I've discovered my four year old son has worms! Does anybody know what is an effective treatment to rid them completely from children's bodies that won't break the bank?

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Gardenmama -- Sorry to hear your son as this malady. Especially with children, I think it's best to be careful and well informed when selecting natural remedies. What would be ok for a healthy adult might be detrimental to a small child. Perhaps you could you be a bit more specific. How do you know he has worms? Do you know what kind of worms? How large is the child?

I "Googled" and found a couple of articles that recommend pumpkin seed to rid the body of worms. You might want to research this idea a bit and see what you think.

• My son was complaining that his bottom was stinging, so I had a look, and there was this one white wriggling thing about 5mm long (just under quarter of an inch)! It certainly gave me a bit of a shock! He is tallish for his age and skinny to boot. I have no experience with worms, so don't know what type it is - I will have to google it. In fact I'll do it now. The pumpkins seeds are a good idea, I've heard that before. But I think worms are quite hard to eradicate and I don't know if pumpkin seeds will do all the job.

• A tea made from Shiitake or Reishi mushroom might help. They are said to be helpful with worms. This is not a raw treatment, however, as you need to simmer the mushrooms in water for about 40 minutes. Eating these mushrooms raw is probably not a great idea.

• From the information on the web I think he has pinworms. There seems to be tonnes of drugs and cleanses on the market, but if anyone has used an all natural treatment for children that definately worked, I would love to hear it.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Consider http://www.drnatura.com/kidetox_program.php - it's a full, all-natural cleansing program that includes an anti-parasite component. I've done the adult version, and I'd recommend the whole cleanse to be sure you get everything out.

As for food, pineapple is also supposed to be a natural anti-parasitic, as well as garlic, cloves (the spice) and pretty much anything that's bitter.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I have known someone else to go thru this with a toddler and they chose the prescription route which worked but also caused digestive issues. Do you have a naturopath you trust? Communication about this with him would be good since pinworms usually come from a cleanliness issue (kids scratching their butt after pooping or touching an animals butt or poop) you can advocate 'this is why we wash our hands when we go potty and before we eat'.

Good luck this too shall pass

• Pinworms are a very common thing for children to get, and here in Sweden our natural treatment for them is; wash your hands carefully, clean your house and your bed and let him ( and the rest of the family ) eat a LOT of raw carrots, beets and garlic. It is really effective. Good luck!