Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

i just ate a whole pineapple.

i was busy all day and didnt eat, and when i got home i ate a whole pineapple within a half hour!! Is that bad???

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i think it's good!!! personally, i can't eat pineapples too often because it does something to my tongue. it's hard to explain, but i get this weird roughness and odd taste for a few days after eating one.

• yea my tongue feels like that right now haha is a whole pineapple a lot of calories??

• Does anyone else get hot when eating pineapple? It is a food I often crave, but when I eat it I get a reaction similar to eating hot peppers. What's the deal?

• An average whole pineapple has a bit less than 500 calories, give or take on it's size. I don't think it's that bad for you, being it's fruit. However, pineapple is high in sugar and citrus, which may inflame your tastebuds and hurt your tummy (like it does mine). I eat whole pineapples sometimes when I'm lacking self control. ; ) No harm done. I wouldn't mono eat on pineapples though, just because they irritate my mouth and stomach.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Pineapple are a low-cal fruit. You said you hadn't eaten all day, I personally would probably have eaten more than a whole pineapple! There are only about 250 cals in a whole pineapple. Look it up for yourself, use google.

• J AJ A

Pineapples contain large amounts of natural acids which will damage your mouth (and your stomach & bowels when they get there). That's what is causing the rash / feeling on your tongue. These acids gradually break down as the fruit ripens and when it finally is completely ripe, the acids will be gone.

However, pineapples have no starch reserves like most of the fruit we're used to (bananas, apples etc.) - instead, the starch resides in the plant. When the fruit enters its final ripening stage the starch will be converted to sugar and enter the fruit. That's also when the last acids will break down. If you eat the fruit when completely ripe off the plant you will get no rashes / funny feeling on your tongue.

For obvious reasons it is not possible to obtain plant-ripened pineapples outside their growing area - they would rot long before arriving in a shop in the US or Europe for example. The pineapples sold outside pineapple growing areas are thus always unripe and contain acids. Still, people enjoy the taste so they're sold nonetheless. Just be aware you're getting those acids. Most people cannot eat a whole pineapple without feeling the effects of the acids. Personally, I can't eat unripe pineapple at all so I've stopped trying. I've heard of methods to get rid of the acids, if I remember correctly someone recommended slicing the top (or bottom?) off, placing the pineapple with the sliced top (bottom?) down in a bowl with some water and leaving it overnight in the refrigerator - that was supposed to drain most of the acids off. Haven't tried myself though.

There are some tropical fruits that just aren't suited for export. Pineapple is one of them. Green kiwis contain the same kind of acids but they ripen well even when picked. Most people eat them unripe anyway since they don't realize they aren't ripe. You'll damage your tongue and stomach though. Come to think of it, there's a lot of fruit people eat unripe, either because they don't know it or because they for one reason or other prefer it. Bananas are a common example - most people I know prefer the slightly green (just slightly though) bananas as opposed to the real ripe banans with black dots on them (which I happen to love).

According to USDA sr21, one whole common pineapple contains 452,5 kcal. An extra sweet pineapple contains 461,6 kcal.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

JA: "there's a lot of fruit people eat unripe, either because they don't know it or because they for one reason or other prefer it."

Sometimes it's the only thing available! I do try to let things sit on the counter to ripen, but often they go bad, before they get ripe. It's one of the reasons I buy a large portion of my fruit, frozen. It does not need to outlast shipping, so they more often are actually ripe. I do certainly prefer fresh, though (when actually ripe).

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Yum, pineapple. I don't think I could eat an entire one, but, darn close, probably...I don't think I've experienced the citric acid effects you mentioned.

Usually I let them get as ripe as possible, and then put them in the fridge so they don't spoil.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I ate a whole pineapple once and it gave me the runs! not good.

The reason your toungue/mouth feels funny is that pineapples contain a powerful enzyme called bromelain, read about it here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromelain

Basically the bromelain is starting to digest the skin inside your mouth. Having said that I still love a pineapple - I just dont eat a whole one at once anymore ;-)

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

mmm tasty - i love pineapple.

i too can only handle so much pineapple in one sitting before my tummy starts to get upset. now im wishing i would have gotten that pineapple at the grocery store!

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

As long as it's ripe, there should be no problem with that at all! Pineapples are super delicious and sweet this time of year. :)

• J AJ A

Well that is the problem... Unless you live next to a pineapple plant, the fruit won't be ripe. They don't ripen properly off-plant. A partial ripening process will take place off-plant, but you don't get thoroughly ripe pineapples if you harvest them before they're absolutely ripe. You'll be missing the sugar from the plant and you will get the acids plus the bromelain, which won't be there if the fruit is allowed to ripen on plant. By that time it'll be way too late to ship them anywhere, they'll rot before they make it to the shops.

People seem to enjoy them nevertheless and why not, as long as you feel good eating them ;-)

• J AJ A

"Sometimes it's the only thing available! I do try to let things sit on the counter to ripen, but often they go bad, before they get ripe. It's one of the reasons I buy a large portion of my fruit, frozen. It does not need to outlast shipping, so they more often are actually ripe. I do certainly prefer fresh, though (when actually ripe)."

Yeah, many fruits require ripening in paper bags, sometimes with a banana or two to speed up the process. Others won't ripen well regardless of what you do. They were designed to ripen before harvest so we can't really blame them :D I only buy fruit that will ripen, I don't digest unripe fruit well. I don't 't feel good if I eat unripe fruit. I don't eat pineapples and I usually don't like green kiwis, either (it seems to take an eternity for them to ripen and I really dislike them unripe). I haven't tried frozen fruit - I still get a plenty of fresh fruit like bananas, apples, oranges, peaches, plums, persimmons, gold kiwis, all sorts of berries, melons, mangos...

• I love pineapple. I can usually eat a whole one, for lunch or something, but sometimes I have to stop depending on how acidic it is. My mouth starts to burn. But I love them anyway. They're also my favorite in green smoothies!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

JA~ I consider myself lucky when I find anything more than apples and oranges around here (oh, and bananas; there's always bananas). Seriously. (I'm not big on apples, and I can eat but so many oranges.) Sometimes there is blackberries, or raspberries. Lately there's been some melons, occasionally. I did get some figs the other day. I was super excited about that.

:~)

• Does anyone else experiences heat when eating pineapple? I love pineapple but it makes me feel hot and little beads of sweat break out on my forehead. I have wondered if it is helping me detox. Anybody else get this reaction?

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

You probably ate a seedless hybridized pineapple, those are loaded with sugar and acid. I live in Hawaii and if I eat a golden pineapple my mouth and lips burn like shit even after just a couple bites. It is not just the acid too because we have the white pineapple variety which is low acid and super sweet, this too though slightly less has the same effect on me. I think seeded pineapples will not have this effect, too bad they outlawed the hummingbird in Hawaii so this season I'm gonna try to pollinate them myself : )

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

" . . . outlawed the hummingbird in Hawaii . . ."? Keewi, you've really peaked my curiosity. Could you explain?

keewi, I'm so jealous! I've heard so many good things about the white pineapples...

And please do explain the hummingbird thing. :)

Swayze

• There are no hummingbirds in Hawaii... I think she might be referring to the moths that look like baby hummingbirds and mimic hummingbird behavior, they're called Hummingbird Clearwings. Here's a site I found, and you can also look the species up on the wiki: http://www.rubythroat.org/QuestionsMiscellaneous01.html

I can't believe with all those beautiful plants and flowers in Hawaii that there are no hummingbirds! I also think it's interesting that hummingbird feeders are sold there... hmmm...

Misty

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

They don't allow hummingbirds in hawaii cuz they don't want them to pollinate the pineapples, it is illegal to bring them here. It sucks...

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Wow . . . I just took it for granted that there would be hummingbirds in Hawaii. I can't imagine all those beautiful flowers and no hummers. I did a little research (should have researched before I posted my question to Keewi) and it turns out that there are no hummingbird species native to Hawaii. Hummingbird moths will drink nectar from the feeders.

Pineapple is believed to be native to Brazil, where the hummingbird is its nature pollinator. From kitchenproject.com: "The natural (or most common) pollinator of the pineapple is the hummingbird. Pollination is required for seed formation; the presence of seeds negatively affects the quality of the fruit. In Hawaii, where pineapple is cultivated on an agricultural scale, importation of hummingbirds is prohibited for this reason."

So . . . if hummingbirds were imported to Hawaii and then pollinated the pineapple in the fields, this would ruin the pineapple harvest. Pollination is not required to product the pineapple, just to produce a pineapple with seed.

Keewi - It looks like a pollinated pineapple is not as sweet. It will be interesting to see how yours taste after pollinating.

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

I don't eat hybridized seedless fruit, this includes pineapples. The main reason i want to pollinate them is so i can eat them guilt free and hopefully they won't burn the crap out of my mouth :)

• wow im depressed :( i wish i could grow my own pineapples, theyre my favorite

• mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

Pineapple is great for you. It has a digestive enzyme called bromelaine that helps speed up metabolism. Usually I can only eat 1 half of a pineapple before my lips and tongue start to hurt.

• How fascinating - I had no idea pineapples were lacking their seeds. Poor guys.

• Parsley, pineapple is a powerful detoxifier, which could cause the heat, I guess. Apparently, you can get rid of parasites and cleanse your lungs by going on a three-day raw pineapple and pineapple juice fast (I think I got that from Ancient Cookfire... not positive). Obviously that would be hard for many to handle, though. Maybe drinking the juice through a straw would make it less harsh?

• Hmmm, I may have to do a pineapple cleanse! I love it when my favorite foods prove to be what my body is needing.

• Now that is my idea of dinner. *licks lips* Honestly I wish all fruit was that huge so I could sit down to one piece of fruit and walk away full and content.

Have you tried eating a whole watermelon? Now that's fun! ;)

Swayze