Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Living Simply

As i go further and further into my raw journey I find that along with it, is a desire to live more and more simply-- not just in my eating habits , but in other areas as well. My house feels full of unnecessary things and cluttered. My job seems to cause more stress and problems than a simpler lifestyle might. I want to consume less, spend less time doing things that feel more and more like a hamster on a wheel.

For instance-- I want to get rid of all our plates , bowls, spoons, cups etc -- we have bazillions! And we spend all this time and money washing them night after night! How much simpler would it be if my family had one plate, cup, bowl, knife, fork and spoon per person? that each one had to take care of (i live in a family of six people) . I also want to get rid of all my bathroom stuff. my shampoo, soap, and just use the no-poo method (I tried this last year and really liked the results) and a skin brush. I want to clean out my closet and get rid of all the clothes that are unnecessary.

it's kind of wacky, but i really feel like simplifying what I eat (ie, fresh, uncooked fruits and vegetables, with occasional sprouted legumes and nuts) has made me realize at a new level (I mean, I already knew this to a degree) how completely UNNECESSARY all these other accoutrements of a contemporary life really are.

Comments

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

yep raw is awesome

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

i have always lived pretty simply, but i know what you mean about the correlation of eating and other things. when i was 100% raw i often felt like i saw life from a different perspective, it was awesome!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Mariposa I know exactly how you feel because I feel the exact same way. When I lived with my family, we had a 7200 square feet home, which was huge. I used to shop a lot and buy myself tons of unecessary stuff. I moved out last winter and now rent a basement apartment and I bargain shop now, look at flyers and deals. And honestly I feel so much better. I want to sell my luxury car and get myself a more average car. I don't need all that, I'd rather save my money and buy myself some good food!

• Yes! I know exactly what you mean. I have been feeling more and more this way for quite some time. Ahhh, simple life.

• I started my vegan lifestyle 2 years ago as a journey to heal my back naturally. Sadly, I still ended up having surgery, but it did heal my back and I've been fine since then.....however, the good that came from that path led me, and thankfully our church, down the simple life path. We have included meditation now in our gatherings. Meditation lead me to yoga. Yoga led me to natural soaps and cleansers. Natural cleansers led me to books on living simple. Cleaning closets was freeing. Vegan foods led me to raw foods and here I am. A much happier, less burdened and judgemental person. I feel truly free!

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago where I wanted to throw everything out. My boyfriend thought I was nuts but loved the results once we organized and decluttered. Even today we're striving for a minimalist home free of knick knacks, useless things and clutter. Especially in the kitchen! We've always been really messy I guess it's the only way of dealing with it if you don't want to clean it haha.

My boyfriends job also caused us lots of stress. We have had a very strong bond with eachother ever since we met and had to spend every second with eachother. His job was not allowing us to do this and we would talk on the phone every second possible from his work. He got laid off (I wasn't working) and we decided to start our own business together. We're both very creative and talented people with the same interests and it's been booming ever since! I've always felt the need to create things, wether it's photography or jewelry or whatever. I'm so glad we did it because we now have what we want. EVERY second together, free of a boss, free from hours and breaks and Job hunting (yuck!). Free to go to sleep together and roll around in bed till noon! Wish we would have done this sooner!

Everyone should be decluttering regularly. It helps you move into the future instead of going in circles about your past. Plus someone else will use your old stuff, and need it!

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Yes, it's pretty fun when you've been raw for a while and you realize, "Hey, I don't use this (insert useless appliance here) anymore!" I don't even remember the last time I used our giant kitchen aid mixer!

Swayze

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

swayze - Ha ha it's funny you say that, because I was thinking the same thing and then my sister wanted me to make her a grilled chicken sandwich. I used the oven and toaster, which felt really weird because it's been so long since I'd last used them!

• amberablueamberablue Raw Newbie

i'm so with you! one thing really does lead to another in this lifestyle. simplifying lets us enjoy more of the true important things in life... really have those moments...

for me, i have always enjoyed making things 'homemade'... and being raw has exposed me to using oils and making my own beauty and health items... experimenting with more and more 'old fashioned' and natural 'things'...

for some reason i was craving to make my own natural laundry soap, and i just moved into a place that has a clothesline outside and i have even been drying some (just a few) things out in the sun. i feel like, women used to sing when they did these chores... and that never happens in front of a washing machine.

i just feel very much like you said, and i think that maybe being raw just opens you up, and enlightens us to that desire to free ourselves and really enjoy our lives every moment, much more intensely than before...