Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Bananas

I know bananas are a big part of a raw vegan diet but I've been eating a lot of them lately. I use them in my smoothies but I've also been eating around 3 bananas in a sitting! Is this normal?

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

What's normal?? LOL. Kidding.

Seriously, there are folks that eat waaay more bananas than that. Take a look at the "what you ate today" thread.

http://goneraw.com/forum/what-you-ate-today?page=14#comment-123506

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

shannon, i ate 8 today. i'm a total banana addict so i think it's normal. my breakfast today was 6 bananas. i feel like they are the perfect food :)

• I love bananas too - I have them every morning in a smoothie, but I also thought this morning if I am eating too many, but seeing other peoples thread I think I should be ok with 1 a day!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Yeah, I normally eat a couple a day. Always have a stash of banana chunks in my freezer.

I've currently got an addition to banana ice cream with cinnamon, raisins, dash of maple syrup and handful of buckwheaties....sooooo good!

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Normal! No matter where I go or what season it is, bananas remain as a major staple of my diet! :)

My record is ten in one day!

• I do anywhere from 10-15 most days.

• Phew! I'm glad I'm not alone. ;]

• RAWBLADERAWBLADE Raw Newbie

hahahaha 3 bananas!!! I used to eat more than 3 when not raw!!! Now i just cant stop! hahahaha 3 bananas

i eat 20 a day.7 to 10 in one sitting! You can go up to 30 bananas and still no problem of too much potasium!

Ectualy there is noT known case of over intake of ptasuim in adult healty person even if you go over 30 a day!

Enjoy your bananas!!!

• Oh my goodness I never knew people could eat so many bananas! Whoo!

The other day I had about 6 or 7 bananas. But it kept me raw! Bananas, lots of apples, and a salad...that's what I've pretty much eaten all day!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Banana's are very good for you - even if they didn't have Potasium. I received an email a few months back telling of all the wonderful benefits of banana's... I'm sure you could search the web and try to find it. I love banana's too. I have to say, i'm not a fan of them IN things or using them to make other stuff, I love my banana's just the way they are! Occasionally if I want something really sweet, i'll chunk a banana and drizzle some agave and almond butter over top. Yum.

• I find I crave bananas as my main source of 'carbs'. On average, I eat about 4-5 a day. I'm glad to hear that others eat as many/more! :-)

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I'm also totally mad for bananas, usually I eat around 8-10 a day, depends on the type of bananas though, I noticed that bananas from Ecuador tastes simply divine, sometimes it feels that I can live on them alone, however our local Israeli bananas don't really do it for me, they are nice in smoothies and such but alone or in a fruit salad they are no more then ok, when Ecuador bananas are not available I eat only 1-2 a day.

• Wow! I can't believe how many bananas some of you can eat in one sitting! Or in a day! I don't think I could eat more than maybe 2 in one sitting? To me they are really filling. Although maybe it is partially because I am not all that fond of them plain? I do love them in smoothies though.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I think 3 a day is ok. I think 10 a day could be ok. When I make smoothies I tend to use two with some other fruit and some greens. I occassionally have a meal of bananas if thats all I have or money is tight, about 6-7. However, just be aware that they contain a lot of sugar. While you should be confident in what you are doing, don't get sucked into this banana binge bandwagon, where people brag about how many bananas they can eat and think its ok to eat like 30 bananas a day. Remember that sugar is addictive and it is tricking you. Don't eat more than you need, and only you are fully capable of knowing what that is. If you are feeling like 3 is borderline, I'd say that's a good place to be.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I consume 2 bananas a day minimum. Usually I have at least four, if not more.

1 in smoothie

1 consumed outside the smoothie, alone or with cereal

1 mid morning snack

1 mid afternoon snack

Sometimes I have an evening smoothie that will usually have a banana or two in it and sometimes an evening snack.

Bananas rock! Use them! :)

• Yesterday I ate 16 bananas. Today, is mangoes for breakfast (5 large) pineapples for lunch (4 white pineapples) and dinner will probably a lb or two of grapes with a cucumber, avocado, dill "salad"

I've eaten over 20 bananas in a day back when I Was working two jobs. I ate t20 bananas for lunch during break at the job site (roofing). Everyone else had meat subs, fries, chicken etc. They all wanted to take a 30 minute nap (and most did), I was back on the roof working with no problems.

Keeping it simple requires simple digestion and maximum absorption. We are all effecient beings, lets keep it that way!

www.30bananasaday.com >Raw vegan forum site.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Um, isn't that like 8+ pounds of bananas?

• So I looked up the health benefit of bananas and they are good for lots of things. For me, though, they're particularly good for nerves, stress, and depression. Realizing this became a revelation similar to the one Sergei and Valya Boutenko had; you know where they were craving what they needed to overcome their medical conditions? Further proof the body DOES know what it needs! :D

• "Um, isn't that like 8+ pounds of bananas?"

Isn't what 8lbs of bananas? 16 bananas? 30 bananas?

As ive stated, Ive eaten 20 bananas in a sitting and that is definitely not 8lbs. I have never fit 8lbs into my belly, lol.

I have fit 6lbs of grapes (1-1.5hrs) on my belly.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I just go off that each banana is about 7 oz on average. So, 20*7=140oz= 8.75 lbs. Of course, they might have been smaller bananas but even if they were half the size 4 pounds is still a lot of food, and its a *lot* of sugar. I don't know, maybe that works for you where you're at right now, but I woudn't go around recommending that people eat that much food. I know its popular, but I think the practice its more indulgent than anything else (unless you are running like 20 mile a day or something). I mean, I'm an athelete, training to be in the military, I do pretty intense workouts so I know that mass consumption isn't the only way to go. That's my personal opinion, but based on some reasonable observations.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Don't knock it til you've tried it (and thrived like the 80-10-10ers)!! :)

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I think you are just to say that. I haven't tried it and therefore can't give a definitive comment. However true Doug Graham disciples work out 4 hours a day at least if my understanding is correct. Whatever the time its, its super, super intense. I think a majority of his disciples are false and use his teachings to justify their overeating while not measuring up to his workout regimines at all.

If all the true disciples and yourself follow the 80-10-10 system and feel great, thats awesome. But I can only imagine eating that way if actually following the exercise regimine, which is also extreme and therfore viable. In my opinion its not for everyone given our current environment and lifestyles. True 80-10-10 might only be feasible for a very small perctengate of people. So, my recommendation is when giving advise to others, try to think of what would work for them rather than touting some extreme method and becoming prideful. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but that's what a lot of people do. 80-10-10 would be good to mention, but most people don't need to eat 20 bananas at once, and, in fact, shouldn't.

P.S. Although I have done his 10oz date, 16oz celery meal, which is bangin!

• Pardon me, but as this is a public forum, I read from eecho's first post that he/she "can't give a definitive comment." Usually when I read something like that--I never once think that person insists he's speaking with authority. Superfood2, your pugnacity is JUST as offensive.

Now about those bananas!! :-)

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

Sorry to kill everyones banana high, but did you know bananas have an enzyme inhibitor in them. When I found out I was like WTF I guess those damn hybrid bananas arn't as good as other fruit after all. Check it out, a quick search of google will show you bananas have a protease inhibitor, and I thought only nuts could have those.

• Keewi, I just looked into what you said about bananas and found the following:

Unripe bananas are considered constipating, difficult to digest as they contain enzyme inhibitors, while ripe ones are considered laxative.( www.healthy.net/scr/mmedica.asp?MTId=8&Id=83)

So, maybe they're OK after all. Sure hope so-- couldn't live without them.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I've definitely had times where I ate 3 bananas in a row. I don't do it often, but there are times, yes. I like getting my vitamin B6 from them, among other nutrients (vitamin C, potassium, and fiber). And, they're so easy to take with me for the day when I'm out running errands. One of my favorite light smoothies is banana and celery - great to drink after a workout. :)

Cheers,

Kristen

• I have heard some of the same and actually tried banana peel on inflammated skin and it worked!

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

I just googled it and it looks like it kills bacteria in the stomach.

• Bananas are awesome! So cheap and readily available. Perfect in smoothies or by themselves. Bananas rock! I eat lots of them in the fall and winter.

Enjoy your nanas and don't feel guilty at all about them. Fruit is our natural food.

Blessings,

Audrey