Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Protein deficiency

Hi all! I'm new, and need to rant a bit! sorry, but it would be nice if someone could help/educate?!

I am a vegan, who has recently been eating very raw (not 100%, cooked veggies get in there somehow haha).

I was just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with protein?

My mom keeps bugging me about it because I've been depressed lately and just other things have come up, and she seems to think that

MAYBE it mght be my diet. I understand where she is coming from, its a change, but I also know that you only need about 5% of your total caloric intake from protein (this knowledge comes from reading the China Study hehehe) just wanted to know if anyone else has felt like this, or if maybe I do have a deficiency of some sort? eeek I hope not! My mom is still dragging me to the doctor :( but just wanted others input.

thanks for listening!

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i think it's VERY difficult to have a protein deficiency, unless you don't eat anything. most of us, if not all, get enough protein by just eating fruits and veggies. i've heard that getting more essential fatty acids in your diet can make you happier. i read it in a book about depression and anxiety.

if your mom brings to you a psychiatrist/therapist, they will suggest going on medication but i don't think it's necessary. have you been raw a while?? for the first few months, my mother was psycho about my eating habits, but now she doesn't say anything. i think deep down she knows its good for me, but just won't say it.

i hope you guys work it out though. it's tough having a wall between yourself and your parent.

• One of the few vitamins that you can't get from food is B12. Long time vegans can develop a deficiency. There are simple urine tests that can determine if you do. Or just do what I do and take a B12 everyday. Vitamin Code makes a Raw B-12, but I prefer Solaray. If you're eating enough raw fruits and vegetables, protein shouldn't be a concern at all.

http://spaz.ca/cronometer/ You can download the Crono Meter, enter your criteria (mine is 80-10-10), all your foods for a day, and you can see exactly how many calories, vitamins, minerals, proteins, lipids, etc that you are actually eating. This will help you modify your diet if necessary. And..nothing wrong with a visit to the doctor every once in a while! : )

• I would definately show your Mom (and doctor) the proof- definately use cronometer (or any other good system) to calculate what you eat for several typical days. It can't hurt- you may be a bit lacking in some area (and it might not even be in protein).

If not- you have the proof. Much easier than arguing with someone:-) Plus, if you have been feeling depressed, and the one thing that has changed is your diet...she may be on to something. Doesn't mean you can't eat a raw vegan diet, just that you may need to adjust it some.

Or it could just be a coincidence. Find out for sure though.

Oh, and 5% protein? The 80/10/10 diet by Dr. Graham recommends 10% protein. 5% sounds too low (off I go to look up protein requirements, because I don't know the exact number myself).

• thank you for all the help/support!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

pinkcleo, you can get b12 from organic fruits and vegetables.

• Can't you get B12 from sea vegetables, especially Spirulina?

• Like Joannabanana said, it's highly unlikely that you're experiencing a protein deficiency. Depression can come from a number of things like lack of sunlight, physiological components, and reactions to recent events. I wouldn't pin it on the raw food though. ;]

• noooo! i wasnt trying too, haha raw food is suppose to help! i was just confused thats all, and my mom had me a bit worried

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

"Emotional detox," maybe? It sure can happen.

Please do take a B12 supplement just to be on the safe side. You can get it from fortified foods, such as rice/soy milks, or some nutritional yeast brands, but not from fruits and vegetables, whether land or sea. Please see http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12 if there is any confusion on what contains B12.

The site is affiliated with Vegan Outreach, whose sole purpose is converting vegans - not selling products or even raising money. I have found it to be a resource with exceptional integrity.

• I would also recommend checking your level of Vitamin D. Evidently, lack of Vitamin D can cause someone to feel depressed. I definitely don't get enough sunshine to make up for not consuming Vitamin D fortified products (such as milk). I recently had a test run and all of my nutrient levels were GREAT except Vitamin D which was extremely low. I just started taking a supplement so I'm hoping it goes up soon!

• I have had frequent problems with depression/anxiety over the years and I find sunlight HELPS! In days that you feel down, try not to wear dark (or black) clothing, and go out in the sun daily! I also use aroma therapy daily (oil of bergamot is my favorite).

I'm a big believer that depression can be greatly helped by raw food; and if I feel myself getting depressed, I get myself the HELL out by doing something!! I greatly encourage being more active, sunlight, and doing things that just make you happy!

Green juice and green smoothies make me feel very happy. The raw-er I am, the better I feel emotionally.